Speed Fan and Core temp 0.95.4 both give diff temps

matth87

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
at Idle Speed Fan say 37 and 41 Degress in both my cores and Core temp says 52 and 56 in each of my cores, which one is correct? Im trying to overclock and i really dont want to go over 70 Degress under full load, can anyone help?

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Core Temp will give higher values since it reads the temps inside the CPU if I'm not mistaken. Speed Fan reads it from a chip on the mobo?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
matth87, to understand how to uniformly test, accurately calibrate, and properly monitor your CPU and Core temperatures, check out the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Since C2D variants have different temperature specifications, 70c Core temperature can be HOT, or it can be SAFE, so it would be helpful if you post your rig's variables. The following is an example format:

Ambient = Room Temp
Chipset = Model
C2Q / C2D = Model
CPU Cooler = Model
Frequency = CPU Clock
Load = Test Program
Motherboard = Model
Stepping = Revision
Vcore = CPU Voltage

Also, SpeedFan 4.32 and 4.33 both assume that Tjunction MAX is 85c, which will cause C2Q's and C2D's with Tjunction MAX 100c to indicate 15c too low. If you don't mind jumping through a few registration hoops, you can download SpeedFan Beta 4.34, which correctly interprets all Core 2 processors, whether Tjunction MAX is 85c or 100c.

Additionally, your Idle temps are already quite high, so you should first use Section 9 in the Guide to "Calibrate" your temperatures to be certain of their accuracy prior to overclocking.

Comp :sol:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Thanks, cfvh600. I've invested hundred's of hours of research and effort into this topic over the past year. Since many users find temperatures very confusing, I'm just trying to catch as many of these problems as possible to help provide clarity for the community. The Guide seems to be making a difference, however, I can only help those who will listen, and are sincerely interested in learning.

Comp :sol:

TRENDING THREADS