Speedfan Info question

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

Hi,

I've just upgraded my system memory from 512 to 768 MB (256 in slot 0
& 512 in slot 1)

Speedfan Info gives:

Scanning SMBus at $5000...

Decoding DIMM #0
Memory type is DDR
Module Rows : 2
Levels : 2.5V
Parity : NO PARITY
Refresh Rate : 15.62us
Total Size : 256MB

Decoding DIMM #1
Memory type is DDR
Module Rows : 2
Levels : 2.5V
Parity : NO PARITY
Refresh Rate : 7.8us
Total Size : 512MB

The refresh rate is different, I'm having no problems running the new
memory, and I made sure the new 512 chip had the same specs as the
original. This is confirmed by cpu-z which gives identical specs for
the two modules (CAS# RAS# Tras# etc - not that I know what they
mean!).

Does anyone know why the refresh rates are different & what the
significance is? I always thought that the refresh rate of the
original chips was 7.8us but I'm not 100% sure...

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

More than you ever wanted to know:
http://www.oempcworld.com/support/2K_vs_4KRefresh.htm

"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded my system memory from 512 to 768 MB (256 in slot 0
> & 512 in slot 1)
>
> Speedfan Info gives:
>
> Scanning SMBus at $5000...
>
> Decoding DIMM #0
> Memory type is DDR
> Module Rows : 2
> Levels : 2.5V
> Parity : NO PARITY
> Refresh Rate : 15.62us
> Total Size : 256MB
>
> Decoding DIMM #1
> Memory type is DDR
> Module Rows : 2
> Levels : 2.5V
> Parity : NO PARITY
> Refresh Rate : 7.8us
> Total Size : 512MB
>
> The refresh rate is different, I'm having no problems running the new
> memory, and I made sure the new 512 chip had the same specs as the
> original. This is confirmed by cpu-z which gives identical specs for
> the two modules (CAS# RAS# Tras# etc - not that I know what they
> mean!).
>
> Does anyone know why the refresh rates are different & what the
> significance is? I always thought that the refresh rate of the
> original chips was 7.8us but I'm not 100% sure...
>
> --
>
> John Latter
>
> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>
> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:25:04 -0600, "D.Currie"
<dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>More than you ever wanted to know:
>http://www.oempcworld.com/support/2K_vs_4KRefresh.htm

Crikey - I'm going to have to read that in the morning If I'm gonna
stand any chance of understanding it!

But thanks for the link :)

Would it make any difference if I swapped the 2 chips over - do I need
to? Are things ok as they are?

I don't know much at all :(

Jorolat

> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:25:04 -0600, "D.Currie"
> <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>More than you ever wanted to know:
>>http://www.oempcworld.com/support/2K_vs_4KRefresh.htm
>>

> Crikey - I'm going to have to read that in the morning If I'm gonna
> stand any chance of understanding it!
>
> But thanks for the link :)
>
> Would it make any difference if I swapped the 2 chips over - do I need
> to? Are things ok as they are?
>
> I don't know much at all :(
>
> Jorolat

In the grand scheme of things, it's not going to matter at all. Happy
reading.