Speedfan Info question

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

Hi,

I've just upgraded my system memory from 512 to 768 MB (256 in slot 0
& 512 in slot 1)

Speedfan Info gives:

Scanning SMBus at $5000...

Decoding DIMM #0
Memory type is DDR
Module Rows : 2
Levels : 2.5V
Parity : NO PARITY
Refresh Rate : 15.62us
Total Size : 256MB

Decoding DIMM #1
Memory type is DDR
Module Rows : 2
Levels : 2.5V
Parity : NO PARITY
Refresh Rate : 7.8us
Total Size : 512MB

The refresh rate is different, I'm having no problems running the new
memory, and I made sure the new 512 chip had the same specs as the
original. This is confirmed by cpu-z which gives identical specs for
the two modules (CAS# RAS# Tras# etc - not that I know what they
mean!).

Does anyone know why the refresh rates are different & what the
significance is? I always thought that the refresh rate of the
original chips was 7.8us but I'm not 100% sure...

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
More about speedfan info question
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    More than you ever wanted to know:
    http://www.oempcworld.com/support/2K_vs_4KRefresh.htm

    "John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just upgraded my system memory from 512 to 768 MB (256 in slot 0
    > & 512 in slot 1)
    >
    > Speedfan Info gives:
    >
    > Scanning SMBus at $5000...
    >
    > Decoding DIMM #0
    > Memory type is DDR
    > Module Rows : 2
    > Levels : 2.5V
    > Parity : NO PARITY
    > Refresh Rate : 15.62us
    > Total Size : 256MB
    >
    > Decoding DIMM #1
    > Memory type is DDR
    > Module Rows : 2
    > Levels : 2.5V
    > Parity : NO PARITY
    > Refresh Rate : 7.8us
    > Total Size : 512MB
    >
    > The refresh rate is different, I'm having no problems running the new
    > memory, and I made sure the new 512 chip had the same specs as the
    > original. This is confirmed by cpu-z which gives identical specs for
    > the two modules (CAS# RAS# Tras# etc - not that I know what they
    > mean!).
    >
    > Does anyone know why the refresh rates are different & what the
    > significance is? I always thought that the refresh rate of the
    > original chips was 7.8us but I'm not 100% sure...
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    > homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:25:04 -0600, "D.Currie"
    <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >More than you ever wanted to know:
    >http://www.oempcworld.com/support/2K_vs_4KRefresh.htm

    Crikey - I'm going to have to read that in the morning If I'm gonna
    stand any chance of understanding it!

    But thanks for the link :)

    Would it make any difference if I swapped the 2 chips over - do I need
    to? Are things ok as they are?

    I don't know much at all :(

    Jorolat

    >"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've just upgraded my system memory from 512 to 768 MB (256 in slot 0
    >> & 512 in slot 1)
    >>
    >> Speedfan Info gives:
    >>
    >> Scanning SMBus at $5000...
    >>
    >> Decoding DIMM #0
    >> Memory type is DDR
    >> Module Rows : 2
    >> Levels : 2.5V
    >> Parity : NO PARITY
    >> Refresh Rate : 15.62us
    >> Total Size : 256MB
    >>
    >> Decoding DIMM #1
    >> Memory type is DDR
    >> Module Rows : 2
    >> Levels : 2.5V
    >> Parity : NO PARITY
    >> Refresh Rate : 7.8us
    >> Total Size : 512MB
    >>
    >> The refresh rate is different, I'm having no problems running the new
    >> memory, and I made sure the new 512 chip had the same specs as the
    >> original. This is confirmed by cpu-z which gives identical specs for
    >> the two modules (CAS# RAS# Tras# etc - not that I know what they
    >> mean!).
    >>
    >> Does anyone know why the refresh rates are different & what the
    >> significance is? I always thought that the refresh rate of the
    >> original chips was 7.8us but I'm not 100% sure...
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> John Latter
    >>
    >> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    >> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    >> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >>
    >> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    > On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:25:04 -0600, "D.Currie"
    > <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>More than you ever wanted to know:
    >>http://www.oempcworld.com/support/2K_vs_4KRefresh.htm
    >>

    > Crikey - I'm going to have to read that in the morning If I'm gonna
    > stand any chance of understanding it!
    >
    > But thanks for the link :)
    >
    > Would it make any difference if I swapped the 2 chips over - do I need
    > to? Are things ok as they are?
    >
    > I don't know much at all :(
    >
    > Jorolat

    In the grand scheme of things, it's not going to matter at all. Happy
    reading.

Speedfan Microsoft Memory Windows XP