Chipset Preference? 650/680/P35/etc.?

tuksonrider

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Well, I'm building a Q6600 (G0 Stepping) & 8800GTS 320mb rig.

I bought an OPEN-BOX ASUS P5N32-E 680i motherboard that arrived DOA (currently being shipped back to newegg).

Anyway, I'm trying to keep my costs around $150 (that being the hard ceiling limit).

In the past, I've always been with nForce or VIA chipsets, and I figure now is a good time to look around and expand my horizons.

What I plan to do is MILD O'C. I plan just to push the Q6600 to 333MHz.

So does anyone recommend another chipset/motherboard besides an nForce 680i? Or is my best bet to stick with the 680i? (which is hard since most 6801 motherboards are >$150.)

BTW, I'm a CASUAL gamer and hardley ever play on the highest settings. Pretty colors are too distracting, and I'm already running 1600x1050 (22" lcd).

Well, VIA is on my personal permanent "never buy" list (past leak-poor performance, compatibility issues). My nForce4 chipsets ran hot, with a whiny cooling fan, and those boards (Abit) were flakey. I'm running a Gigabyte GA-G33M-DSR2 now. I believe the G33 is very similar to the P35 but adds onboard video (which I'm not using). I've read a lot of warm fuzzies about the GA-P35-DS3R lately. If I were doing another full-sized build for myself, that's probably what I'd choose.

tuksonrider

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Well, doing some more reading, I've decided to go with the eVGA 650i Ultra. It's $80 after rebate, and seems to be a solid performer. I don't plan to go SLI, and it has a no-frills look to it. (no sli, no parellel, no serial, 1x IDE which I have all SATA anyway).

With the money I save, I can get a X-Fi card and speakers.