best laptop hard drive???

dhawk312

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I am looking for a new laptop hard drive for more storage space. My current configuration is an 80GB Hitachi HTS7210 (7,200 RPM), with Vista Business x86, 3GB ram, Nvida Geforce Go 7300 and a T7200 2.0 C2D. I use this PC as gaming/productivity rig. I am torn between two hard drives: Samsung Spinpoint M5S HM250JI or Hitachi TravelStar 7K200....the Fujitsu MHW2160BJ would be nice but it's way too expensive and not enough of a performance gain over the other two to justify the price. Anyways, I just wanted to hear what others have experienced with these drives and their recommendations (Buy one or the other, or wait for some other hard drive to be released). Newegg has both of these products with the Hitachi receiving 100% raving reviews about how fast it is, while the Samsung has complaints about being slow.

Thanks!

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Can't input anything productive as I don't know the 2 disks, but take the comments on Newegg with a grain of salt. A lot of people will post any old garbage up there - to them, fast could mean it copied their word documents in 3 seconds faster than their generic usb sticks. Unless they post actual numbers/specs, don't trust them.

dhawk312

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Yea I know about the Newegg comments, that's why I posted here--I was hoping for some real feedback from professional and enthusiast computer users. I guess I'll just buy one and hope for the best. I don't really think I can go wrong with either drive. Plus both will out-perform my current HD.

ModernCelt

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I have to replace that same hdd in a Dell laptop. I was wondering which one you ended up choosing and how it worked out for you.

TIA.

I had the HM250JI, and it is slow. It really is. It also needed a firmware update to fix some problems when it was new. I replaced it with a WD Scorpio Black 320GB, which is MUCH faster.

gginnj

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I've had it with the hatachi drives that Dell sent me for replacements when they die (I went through 3 in under 2 years). The last time I put in a WD 80gb replacement and have no problems, later upgraded it to the WD 160gb 2.5" IDE (not sure of the model number). It has run like a champ, exception being when I lost my MBR, but I was able to work with Acronis and a spare 160gb to restore the MBR and copy back my partitions without loss, and have not had any issues since (gotta luv True Image...).

I've not used any Seagates, so I can't comment on them.

All I can say is that Dell uses crappy drives, at least the WD have been good (laptop is used like a desktop, so it runs 24/7, and when it's been used as a laptop, these drives have taken a few falls, and still worked without problems)

GG

gginnj

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I've had it with the hatachi drives that Dell sent me for replacements when they die (I went through 3 in under 2 years). The last time I put in a WD 80gb replacement and have no problems, later upgraded it to the WD 160gb 2.5" IDE (not sure of the model number). It has run like a champ, exception being when I lost my MBR, but I was able to work with Acronis and a spare 160gb to restore the MBR and copy back my partitions without loss, and have not had any issues since (gotta luv True Image...).

I've not used any Seagates, so I can't comment on them.

All I can say is that Dell uses crappy drives, at least the WD have been good (laptop is used like a desktop, so it runs 24/7, and when it's been used as a laptop, these drives have taken a few falls, and still worked without problems)

GG

gailey78545

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
i <3 hitachi. quite possibly the best bang for the buck hard drive maker out there (especially for desktops), at least that's my opinion.