Need help with overclocking and cooling

Blakeh

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Hi guys,
Just got a new pc about a month ago and im looking at overclocking it. I've never overclocked anything before but ive been reading lots of guides on the net and i think i need a better heatsink.

My specs are:
Q6600 2.4GHz (go stepping)
8800gts 320MB twintech
2x 1GB Kingston ram 800MHz
gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P (rev 1.1) fsb 1333
Antec P182 case (with all 5 fans installed)
550W antec NEO PSU

Everything is still using stock cooling and the extra fans in the case are just cheap brands. I just bought Vista home premium and im still waiting for the 64bit dvd to arrive so im still running XP.
My goal for it is to have faster render times in 3ds max and higher framerates in games (especially crysis).

- I'm willing to spend $120 (aud) on a new heatsink and fan for the cpu. What would you guys recommend i get?
- I'm thinking that taking it to 3.0 or 3.2 will be sufficient. Are these safe numbers when only using aircooling? If i do this will any of my other components bottleneck the performance?
- The thermalpaste stuff is included with the heatsink right? if not can you recommend me one?
- Do you know any good guides (for beginners) for installing heatsinks?
- Is there anything ive forgotten or overlooked?

I really want to stay at safe numbers because theres no way i can afford to replace anything.
Cheers

P.S. im in Australia (hot climate :pt1cable: )

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
3.0 or 3.2 is safe if you get a decent heatsink and fan. The thermalpaste is normally included with the heatsink.Normally there is a installation guide with the heatsink and fan.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
My G0 is at 3.2 GHz and doesn't go over 55C on the hottest core with a 25C ambient.

I like my Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme with about a 60-80 CFM fan if noise is an issue. The included is fine but if you want better use Shin Etsu X23 (as per Computronix) or Arctic Cooling MX-2.

Blakeh

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Ok ill definetly get the thermalright utra 120 extreme.
Hows this for the fan?
http://www.itsdirect.com.au/com_products.php?view=detail&Product_ID=1985&category_id=31&sub_category=27
or
http://www.itsdirect.com.au/com_products.php?view=detail&category_id=31&Product_ID=1882&sub_category=27&keywords=Scythe_120mm_S_FLEX_Fluid_Dynamic_Bearing_Quiet_Fan_1600rpm__SFF21F_

Also if i want to oc my graphics card should i look into getting some vga cooling? Any recomendations?

I've been told that ram cooling is basically useless but what about the northbridge?

Thanks for your help!