Shooter7

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Hi all,

I recieved a box of EIDE 250GB drives in trade for a job I did. I've decided to build a RAID5 NAS with them. However, I want to do this as cheaply as possible. I have enough extra bits and pieces to scrape a system togther, but I want to run a RAID array with as many of these disks as possible. The best bet I've found from trolling eBay is that if I'm patient, I should be able to get my hands on a Promise SX6000 with 6 channels for around $50. It's older and only ATA100, but for the cost of that part only, I can have a 1.25TB array.

Any comments, ides, or suggestions?

G

if you've got a motherboard with 3 pci slots free (e.g. none being used up with networkcard, graphics etc) then you could get 3 ide raid cards (you can get form here http://www.pctradeshop.com/code/ui/main/product.aspx?catid=8&subcatid=0 ) and install FreeNAS or Linux or windows. it don't really matter. Also don't boot of those hard drives. if you goole for uild Nass or something simular you will get loads of tutorials on how to set it up.

dan_uk_1984

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Get an old PC and lump Windows Home Server on it.

Awsome software raid capabilities, with full integration into windows....

You can even stick them in USB caddies and plug them into a USB2.0 port and WHS will add them into the drive pool!