SLI or wait

dgrunt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
I have a MSI-NX6800GS.
If i could find another NX6800GS would it be wurth it to go SLI,i play Bioshock and it runs ok(on medium) would the SLI make much diffrents in game play?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I don't even bother restarting my computer from XP to Vista, as Bioshock in Direct X10 looks virtually identical to the Direct X9 version.

4745454b

Titan
Without knowing the price of the second 6800GS, I can't really say whether it would be worth it. If you can get the card for $40, then yes. If you can't buy one for less then $75, then probably not. I also wouldn't worry about getting a DX10 video card. The 8600GT and 2600pro/XT don't really have the power to use DX10. If your LCD runs at 1440x900, or 1280x1024, then neither of these video cards would be able to make it worth while.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004

You are SUCH a liar! Microsoft has ALL this info that they SWEAR makes DX10 SOOO much better to DX9! DUH! Have you not read all the info? I'm in shock you little ignorant troll!

/sarcasm off

6800 is quite old. I'd just get yourself a newer card and skip SLI. SLI isn't always better, and sometimes it's a pain to get to work. I've always heard a thumbrule is each new generation of video cards is roughly twice as powerful as the previous. So your 2 generations behind, which puts your card at 1/4 the power of an 8xxx series. Not to mention, if you bought a lower end 8xxx series card, it would be more powerful, while using less power.

4745454b

Titan
Yeah, $99 is way to much to spend for a second 6800GS card. Consider that the 6800GT is about as fast as the 7600GT. Two 6800GS's should be about as fast as the 6800GT, or faster if the res is high enough. I wouldn't be surprised if even a single 7900GS could beat the 6800GS in SLI. The 2600XT might not be enough to beat the this setup, but the x1950pro shouldn't have much trouble. For $99, there are simply to many options that look more appealing to me. You might spend a bit more then $99, but the performance would be better.

ZeroCool

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007

While I agree that DX10 doesn't really bring all it is cracked up to be to the table, from a few reviews (including pics) I have read on Bioshock there are a few differences that with the right GFX set up are noticeable, I cant find the main review I am referring to (shows the shadow differences, smoke and flare differences etc. that do make a difference) which isn't much but granted there is a difference and thats only the beginning. Anyway DX10 vs DX9 isn't the point, I cannot say myself whether you should go SLI or not, but IMO you would be better off (as said by others) to get a better generation series card than going SLI as you will only improve a slight in frame rate compared to image quality/frame rate if you get a 7/8 series card or something new from ATI.. that aside do you have a motherboard that supports SLI currently cause if not you would be up for the cost of a new MB + your 6800 which would probably work out the same as a new GFX card.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
DX10 with Crysis actually will be pretty much necessary because in multiplayer only in DX10 mode do you ge day/night changing and destroyable environment like trees.

All of its in DX9 mode on campaign though. I know Ill be getting a "8950GTX" or according to Fudzilla, the "D9E" or something.