Not picking up dvd drive? SHW162Z

mpohagan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Hi, I'm in need of a bit of help. I hadn't used my dvd writer (Samsung SH W162Z) in a few months, and went to burn something today and the computer doesn't seem to be picking it up properly. It shows on the hardware profile thing in control panel, and in the My Computer window. The "eject disc" option works both in Itunes and in Nero. But when I go to explore a disc (which I know do have data on them), it doesn't show anything at all.

Now I've got a few ideas as to what might have contributed to this. About 6 weeks ago I replaced my cpu heatsink, and thus had to take the motherboard out to screw on the new backplate. The only thing that I did not unplug was the IDE cable of my writer. I'm thinking that perhaps I might not have installed everything correctly, but from what I can see there isn't any problems. The other idea is that something may have been damaged on the motherboard. The reason for replacing the cpu heatsink was that I was having difficulty seating the stock intel one, and on one occasion it became unseated and dropped down onto the mobo. There was no perceptible damage, but perhaps it may have damaged something to do with the dvd drive.

Has anyone had a similar problem/any advice as to what to do?

mpohagan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Oh and also, another dvd drive also now shows on the My Computer window and hardware profile thing, whereas I only actually have one drive. When Exploring this drive it comes up with the message that there is no disc in the drive. Any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS