Best Motherboard Pairing For E2180?

ricehoshi

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
For those who helped me out choosing a processor in the CPU section, I figure it's about time to look at motherboards. I still may try to get a E6750 if I can, but I think I'd rather try my hand at the E2180. I just wanted to know of any good pairings that may make my life easier when I start overclocking. I know there are a lot of people who have found the E2180 overclocking easily on a lot of boards with great success and I just wanted to get some good suggestions or stories of success or marks.

As of far I have looked at the Gigabyte series specifically at the GA-P35C-DS3R and the GA-P35T-DQ6. I have been looking for a good price/performance board with at least one IEEE port and one IDE connector, but those seem to be kicking it up past $300 bucks. Any suggestions?

For now I may skimp on the HDD and the RAM depending on how much I spend on the CPU and the mobo. Thanks.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Without an IEEE... I love my DFI Blood Iron. It's not the best for OCing a quad but it got mine to 3.2 GHz 24/7 stable and I've been at 3.6 I just don't like the Droop. The Blood Iron P35-T2RL is the cheapest motherboard with the ICH9R chipset that I've found that I liked the design on. I love the layout of the board, I don't like the layout of the MSI board that is about $2 cheaper. It has an IDE via Jmicron controller.

With an IEEE.. try the Abit IP35 for about $10 more than the DFI board. The ONLY reason I didn't get that board is a dual boot issue (it boots up twice sometimes). The Beta BIOS fixed this but it still does it when you completely remove power to it and turn it back on (POSTs once, restarts and POSTs again).

The DFI is really indepth as far as BIOS options and probably has 1000 things most people wouldn't touch.

Do you want ICH9R? (Raid Setups). If not the cheapest one I found with the ICH9/P35 is an Asus for about $5 more than the DFI.

Blood Iron or IP35 will do 400 MHz bus without any extra cooling. I don't know from personal experience but I've been told they will do 500 as well without an issue on a good chip. That E2180 has a 10x multi so 400 MHz is MORE than enough for it. The E6750 has an 8x so at 400 MHz it'd be running at 3.2 GHz (If you didn't push either board past 400 MHz).

ricehoshi

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Thanks cnumartyr. Firewire isn't as important, but I find having at least one IDE connector has saved my ass a couple times when SATA is giving me troubles. I probably won't be playing with a RAID setup any time soon, but it'd be nice to have that option.

This is the first time I have heard about those boards, most of the boards I have read about have paired the E2180 with Gigabyte boards, but I will research the above that you have just mentioned. Trying to get a good feel for what has worked for people and what people recommend if they don't like their setup now.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Never had a problem with the SATA on the Blood Iron. I used a SATA DVD Writer and 2 Seagates in RAID 0. Installed windows from the SATA DVD no problem. It has the IDE controller as a backup if I ever have a problem :) 1-4 were for RAID HDs or normal operation, 5-6 were for extras.

Well you could get a good Gigabyte board for less than $120.
GIGABYTE GA-G31MX-S2(good board, solid performance) =$77
GIGABYTE GA-P31-DS3L(more OC room than the S2)=$80
GIGABYTE GA-P31-DS3L(simply one of the best in terms of OC, etc.)=$95
GIGABYTE GA-G33M-S2H(similer to ^, but has integrated HDMI)=$120

As for IEEE just get a PCI ad on card.

PPA USB2.0 + 1394 Combo PCI Card=$15

ricehoshi

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
itotallybelieve you... i should just ask you what i should get for my new system... seems like you always have a good answer anyway.

How's it overclock? I actually haven't seen any posts about the board you mentioned. And Shadow... any reason why you didn't suggest any of the P35 boards? Or is it just personal preference?

ricehoshi

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Oh... and i finally took a look at the Thermalright Ultra-120 and I don't think i will have any heating issues if i put one of those in my new build. That monster takes up a good third of the case that i was planning on getting.

ricehoshi

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
i just noticed this but shadow posted the GA-P31-DS3L board twice... im curious as to what $95 board he is talking about now.

ricehoshi

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
i have read up on a few boards that have worked well with the E2180 that include the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L that is about $90 and the Abit IP35-E that is around $100. In case anyone else is in the process of choosing a good board those seem to have been pretty solid overclocking with the Gigabyte consistently at 3.4 stable and the Abit at 3.6 stable.

ricehoshi

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Think I am getting the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R, it has everything I will probably need to carry me through until my next build. It doesn't have eSATA or IEEE ports and it won't support SLI, but for $140 I think it's probably the best bet I have.

ricehoshi

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Thank Silverion. I was looking at the DS3L, but I wanted to play with RAID since I already have 4 harddrives that are SATA. The DS3R seemed like the next logical board up.