Sign in with
Your question

Possible HDD bottlenecking problem? slow startup, etc...

Last response: in Systems
August 29, 2007 4:50:45 PM

Hi everyone. I just built a new box with

- ASUS M2N-E AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
- EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model
- COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- COOLER MASTER Real Power RS-450-ACLY ATX12V 450W Power Supply
- (2x) CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
- and lastly, my new HD (which doesn't appear to be the problematic HD, i'll explain): Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Now, I put the box together, installed windows, and everything worked great. Booted up very fast, and had no waiting issues. Temps are good.

I had a spare HD (Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380011A 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive) from my old box that I just put all of my 18gb of songs on, and made it the second boot device. The bootups are just as long, if not longer, than my old computer. I'd estimate it takes about 2 mins for everything to be done, from pushing the power button to being able to open firefox.

Is this a bottlenecking problem? Any other possibilities? I would really like to keep my media on my spare HD, keeping my space on the 160GB SATA intact, but if thats not possible without sacrificing speed, please let me know. Thanks a lot guys
a b B Homebuilt system
August 29, 2007 5:21:41 PM

You say "second boot device..." explain please. This second drive isn't a boot device at all; it's just another hard drive. Make sure it isn't showing as a boot device. If, when in the old box, it was the boot drive, if windows is trying to boot from it now you're getting a mishmash of old drivers. So make sure your SATA drive is the boot drive and shows up first on the list.
Worst case (although I could see this being a DRM hassle), copy all the songs to your new drive, then remove the old drive from your system again.
August 29, 2007 9:05:28 PM

Great, thanks for helping.

I just went into bios > boot config and set "hard-drives" as primary boot device. The secondary boot device was "optical drive" or something like that, so I clicked "disabled" for that and the next four or five options.

The weird thing is though, when I go down the list I see "hard-drives", and both of my HD's show up. I obviously put my windows SATA hard-drive first in line, but there doesn't seem to be a way to remove my IDE primary slave drive from this list.

At first I thought having "hard-drives" on the boot list as the primary would work, but it did not. How can I ensure that my SATA HD with windows is the only device booting? Is there old information on my old IDE HD that makes it want to boot even thought its been formatted and set as slave? Thanks guys.

any help is appreciated
Related resources
August 29, 2007 9:16:07 PM

yeah whether it has boot information or not it'll show up on that list, just make sure the drive with windows is 1st in line.

check for spy ware etc on your windows HDD, disable unwanted startup apps (CCleaner will do that too) and defragment, also run CCleaner (google and download it).

a second hard drive should make no problems as to boot speed (apart from the time in bios).
August 29, 2007 9:57:05 PM

alright cool thanks for the reply.. I'll DL ccleaner...

The only thing is, though, the computer was running fast as blazes, and then as soon as I configured the second hard-drive on there, it slowed down. So, i'm almost certain that it's not a spyware problem, or one that will be fixed with defrag'ing...

I'll try the CC cleaner though, thanks...

any other ideas?
!