zompton

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
It would be best if you read the sticky for overclocking your CPU at the top of the overclocking forum. So you get an idea of what to do.

zompton

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
That is a bit much to take in. Am i going to have to find someone i know to help me with this, because i cant think of anyone?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Vore of about 1.248 or 264 under load in Windows should be stable. You'll have to test that out.

Anyways.. Bus speed of 333, RAM multi to 1.2x (for running RAM at stock settings.) That'll run it at 3.0 GHz.

Seriously tho.. don't do it because we told you to. Do it because you KNOW why you are changing. Re-read the post. Go read other sites on OCing. It's easy but you need to know why it works and how things work together. I still read the guide once or so a week to keep myself up on it and see if anything was added.

zompton

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I asked around in the forums for my mobo and i was told to adjust these settings;

CPU Operating Speed = User Define - allows access to the adjustments below
X - External Clock = 334
X - Multiplier Factor = X 9
X - Estimated New CPU Clock = 3006
X - DRAM Speed (CPU:DRAM) = 1:1.20
X - PCI Express Clock 100MHz = don’t mess with this

I just have a few more questions. You said to set Vcore to 1.248-1.264 but currently my mobo has it defaulted to 1.2875, so should i leave that or lower it? I also have a setting MCH 1.25v, what exactly is that and should i be concerned about it? Also, "X - PCI Express Clock 100MHz = don’t mess with this" this will OC my 8800GTX graphics card correct? If i did decide to OC that too what would be a good adjustment?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
1.2875 is probably the default of your chip. That is fine and if it runs stable in windows you can lower it if you want (if you don't have heat issues no point) until you get errors. Then bump it up a notch to remain stable.

MCH = North Bridge, default on the P35 Chipset is 1.3v

And no, don't change the PCIe clock. That is not how you OC your graphics card. You do that with ATITool or Rivatuner in Windows. PCIe Clock is the Frequency that the PCIe lanes run at (Transmitting info into and out of the card). Your 8800 GTX isn't going to use up 100% of the PCIe16 Bandwidth even OCed. Upping it can crash your card.

zompton

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I made those changes besides the MCH and i got a 12636 on PCmark which is better than 97% of all systems =) ... wow my e-peen feels huge hehe.

Ok on a serious note, whats the deel with vdroop. When i check cpu-z its show my vcore running lower than i have it set, but its changes depending on my load, this also happens with the cpu multiplier because its sometime x6 instead of x9. Is this normal or is there a setting (vdroop?) that i should adjust? Normaly when i check cpu-z my system is under very little load.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Try re-reading the guide you said you would browse. You are talking about C1E and EIST Throttling. Undervolts/Lowers the multiplier when not under load to save power. Both can be disabled in the BIOS.

Leave MCH stock unless you get issues. You'll only get issues with a high Bus. You can test that by running the Bus up while underclocking the CPU/RAM to isolate the NB.

zompton

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Ya you confused me. Im going to print up that guide so i can get a good read on it tomorrow. Thanks alot for all your help.