How to find Epson printers IP address and Port name

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I am totally computer ignorant. I bought a new wireless Epson 810 printer. I am trying to connect my Dell desktop to it(Windows XP)and my Dell laptop (Windows Vista-ugh!). I have the printer hooked up to my wireless network but I can't get either of my computers to recognize it. What to do???

You should be able to find the IP address by looking at your router's management interface. How you do that, obviously, depends upon your router. The port will almost certainly by 9100, but you may not need to know that - Windows may just need the IP address. Does the instruction manual for the printer not tell you this sort of thing?

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

Can't find it on the manual, can't find it on the Epson website. Could be that some of the terminology goes right over my head. I tried downloading the epson drivers onto both computers to no avail. I have literally spent half my day on this. I feel like a completely frustrated idiot!

Have you had a look at the Install Guide for Epson 810? Looking at pages 22 onwards of this manual it doesn't look like you need to know IP address or port details. The Epson software should find the printer and install it for you.

Are you absolutely sure that the printer is configured correctly to access the wireless network? Have you followed the steps earlier in that manual (p.4 onwards) and that the icon mentioned on p.7 shows that you are connected?

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Can't find it on the manual, can't find it on the Epson website. Could be that some of the terminology goes right over my head. I tried downloading the epson drivers onto both computers to no avail. I have literally spent half my day on this. I feel like a completely frustrated idiot!

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Yes, I know that the printer in connected to the internet. Now I can't even find where I can input the IP address. I hate the idea of paying a tech guy for something I should be able figure out but I have 4 kids and I need this for business. I'm getting desperate

As I understand it, you have been through the steps starting on p.4 of the manual and you get the icon mentioned on p.7 confirming that the printer is connected to the wireless network. Also you have installed the software, as detailed on p.22 but when it comes to the stage of searching for a printer the software can't find one. Is that correct? Have you followed the troubleshooting steps detailed on p.30 of the manual? And still no joy?

If you need this for business, and still can't get it connected, perhaps you would be advised to get a local dealer in to set it up for you.

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Well, at risk of showing how totally ignorant I am, is there any reason that i wouldn't be able to hook my desktop up wirelessly to that printer? The computer itself is old but the harddrive is less than a year old.
I know that isn't the only problem since I also can't get my Dell laptop to recognize the printer.
I have a sinking feeling that it is a simple solution that I should be capable of doing but I still can't figure it out.
Time to get educated. Seriously, this is ridiculous

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Also, what about this?
Someone had suggested to me that I go to the Epson website and download their driver(by the way, I have no idea what that is), which I did to both computers. My desktop is an XP. my laptop is Vista.
Supposedly these drivers are good for both(although I have no idea if I should have downloaded the 32 bit or the 64 bit version).
Did I screw something up by doing this?
Of course on the computer it recommends sticking to its own

It would really help if you could confirm that you have followed the steps I outlined in my last post. If you have then you shouldn't need to worry about drivers. The software will have taken care of that when you installed it.

Am I correct about the steps you have taken so far, and the results that you got?

It might also help if you explained you setup a little more. Are your computers connected to the router wirelessly or with cables?

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Yes guys,
I put in the CD, downloaded all the software, went through the steps it took to hook it up to the internet. But when it came time to connect the computeres to the printer, it failed.
The first few times I kept retrying, a menu would pop up which prompted me to put in the IP address. I thought that could be the problem. But now that I found the IP address (does the printer have a separate IP?), I can't find the page which prompted me to put that and the port. When I go through the menu, it just immediately tries to connect the computer to the printer.

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I just realized that I have probably downloaded the drivers twice? My daughter downloaded the software, so I don't know what was downloaded but based on what you are saying, that software included the drivers needed and then I went ahead and did it again.
Am I killing my computers?

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Yes, I know that the printer is doing fine and dandy in the internet connection area. Its just the connection to the computers I can't figure out. I've gone to the epson support areas but let me check out your link and see if its the same.

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Nope, that won't do it for me because the issue isn't with the internet connection. I really appreciate your time though.
Btw, I am a real estate agent active on Trulia. If you ever need real estate advice, I'd be happy to return the favor :)
In the meantime, if you can figure out how to teach my computers to talk to my printer, I will be forever grateful.
I know I am probably making it much more complicated than it really is.

G

Why do you keep talking about an internet connection? Do you have a wireless router? If so, have you found the SSID of your wireless router and connected to it from your printer? You should be able to find the IP address of the printer if it's connected to your wireless router. Also, do you have any firewalls on your computers?

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Bear with me Grumpy. I mean the wireless router. At least I'm not calling it a "thingamagig".
All I can tell you is my computers can't find my printer. I can't find out how to get back to the page that prompted me to put in an IP address because now it just automatically searches for the printer, otherwise I would have tried that a while ago.
I do not know how to get there from here, so to speak.
You have been very patient and I can understand if you've had enough. Just keep me in mind if you have a sudden revelation regarding my computers' refusal to talk to the printer.
Thanks!

G

You could try uninstalling the software are starting over. Unless you can find the IP address of the printer, you're wasting your time. You say the printer is connected to your wireless router but until the printer gets an IP address from the router it's not really connected. Did you try logging into your router and looking at the DHCP table to see what's connected? What about a firewall? you didn't answer that question.

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I might try uninstalling the software like you suggested. So, the IP address of the printer is different than the computers' IP address?
I don't know what the DHCP table is but I'll give it a try.
I'm pretty sure I have a firewall but the software said that it would prompt me to unblock it if necessary and I never got that far.

G

What type of router do you have? The router is the DHCP server which keeps track of which IP addresses are assigned to which network devices.

joanb

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I have a Belkin.
I have had no opportunity to do anything regarding this today. Let me see if I can find the IP address for the printer. And try figuring out how to get to the place I enter it in.