onlnagent

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
I was interested in upgrading my gaming computers CPU and possibly motherboard. I tend to shy away from overclocking unless it's very reliable.

Currently I'm running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ with a Asus A8N5X and 2 sticks of value select ram totaling 1.00 Gig rated at 2.22 Ghz. Also I have a PCI-E 7800 GT and two Maxtor Serial ATA 250 GB hardrives running in raid.

My question would be for upgrading this gaming system is what would the next step up be?

I plan to use the left over parts to upgrade a different computer.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
What is your budget? If you added a GB of RAM and a better video card, you could wait for 6 - 9 months for the new quad core from Intel and AMD. If you want to build a new system, probably would want a P35 board and something like an Intel 6600 or 6850 but for gaming you'd still a better GPU

steviep831

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
It looks like you'll want to upgrade across the board. First of all the 4200 is showing it's age as far as gaming goes. You will definitely need another gig of ram. Perhaps look into buying a paired set of 1gb sticks. For gaming the 7800GT is also showing it's age.

In my opinion, the first step of any major upgrade is the MB and CPU. If you step up to an INTEL, you can park yourself in a rather inexpensive core duo CPU (sub $200). With this change you will also need to update the RAM. Pick up a paired set if possible. For now you can hold off on the video card until some of the really nice cards come out next year. Start there and you should have a great platform for future upgrades.

wangjiahua

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Cindy, is this the thing you were looking for?
www.liangdianup.com/computeraccessories_1.htm
It's on the list of computer accessories and parts. They have the DVI video thing to convert that jap monitor to work with your other computer. Just about any other kind of wire adaptor, usb connectors, monitor extension wires, ps2 extention wires, and all kinds of female and male swap connectors and things that I think would help your shop. If that above link don't work then goto www.lducompany.com and click on computer accessories. Let me know if that is what you need and give me your email address again.

I