Samsung DVD-drives : eject spinning disks - oh no!!

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi,

Anyone had problems with the following (or any) Samsung DVD-drives:

Model : TTSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S183A (OEM)
Version : SB03 Firmware (original SB02 Firmware = same problem)

These are your bog-standard OEM DVD-RW/+RW/RAM re-writers a model which is now obsolete.

The Samsung UK support (I use that word in the loosest sense :pfff: ) guy, I am chatting to by email,
is contesting that the problem (Samsung optical drives which eject discs which are still spinning) is caused by my Host Controller or some other non-Samsung related cause... I should be using a plan-old motherboard SATA header and none of this fancy stuff thank you kindly!! I.e. the problem is nothing to do with their faulty firmware (<-IMHO)!!

I am using the drives in an external case through a multilane SATA connection to the following Host Controller:
http://www.addonics.com/products/multilane/ad4saml.asp
Which clearly states:
Supports ATAPI devices: CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, etc.
in the specifications!! A Pioneer Blu-Ray/DVD multiformat burner on the same Host Controller works just fine (no spinning discs flying out of it :crazy: ).

I am ideally curious to find out if anyone else has this wierd problem with any Samsung optical drives?
Specifically where a disc can be ejected (in software or by the button) and the disc will still be spinning... The drives burn correctly and verify DVD+RW/RAM fine it tends to be DVD-ROM, Video DVD-ROM disks that cause the problem.

I have never encountered this before with any NEC drives (which I have exclusively used in the past).

Any thoughts folks before I en mass RMA 4x DVD Rewriters?? Its probably just a timing issue through the rather long external SATA cables >2 meters (since I don't get DVD/BD write errors and the cables are all latching or locking and heavily shielded)... Still an optical drive should never eject a spinning disk - period!! Well as far as I am concerned they shouldn't anyway - it does rather annoyingly scratch up the ejected DVD in the process!!

Thanks

Bob

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Samsung offers the worst support period. Call back and talk to another representation (hate to tell you, but here in the U.S. it takes about 10-15 calls before you talk to a rep that knows how to count to 3).

Sorry I wasn't a real help. You can always try the drives on a different pc. I agree, optical drives should never eject a spinning disk - Period!

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi,

I plan to contact the Samsung UK support firm tomorrow, the details of which were given to me by the Samsung support guy who emailed me, to RMA all 4 drives. I guess I keep doing this till they give me some different models that don't have this bug in the firmware!! As the drive model is apparently obsolete (hek its only a 1 1/2 years old!!) that might not be a problem. :lol:

I did point out in very controlled (heh heh) email back to this guy that the firm should be concentrating on sorting out the bug in the drives firmware and not trying to fob me off by telling me to use a motherboard SATA header... What will it be next... 'Oh our drives have issues with that Nvidia chipset under Windows XP x64 you will need a new Intel motherboard!!'

skittle - optical drives should never eject spinning disks (well unless you connect them to the mains perhaps :lol: )

Bob

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/175223-32-never

Hey.... my Samsung spits out spinning discs too. And it fails to burn some media. makes cool clicking noise on some DVD's.....do i blame Samsung? No

A friend of mine had a Plextor and i never have never seen so many coasters....

I have had as many LiteON drives fail as anything else....and they ARE a name. they are only one of the works largest ODD makers.....hell for years everything Sony was LiteON.....

My opinion....Everything sucks equally....

Just saw this on another thread, quoted from Nukemaster

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Yeh,

I was posting in that thread as well anyway so I've inquired what model(s) Nukemaster was referring to!

Thanks for the heads up anyway!! Always appreciated :hello:

Bob

monsterrocks

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Interestingly enough, I don't think it has to be a hardware problem. I used windows 2k on my old computer before xp came out, and I reverted back to 98; and when I would eject disks, they would be spinning so fast that I was terrified to play games on my PC. So I went back to 2k and it stopped doing that. Yours my be the fault of the drive, but I just figured I would mention this incedent to let you know there is a small chance it is not the hardware. Just a thought...
By the way, a CD spinning at full speed while ejected is terrifying...I kept on thinking, "what if that flies up and hits me in the neck...how lame would that be. When people asked how I died I don't think anyone would be able to keep a straight face when they said that I was killed by a CD...

THANK YOU for putting that image in my head. Now I won't be able to watch DVDs for weeks :lol: :lol:

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi guys,

Well it did occur to me that Samsung ODD might have a use after all for Sales people trying to sell DVD Repair Kits...

You know along the lines of 'OK first madam we destroy the DVD surface by ejecting it a few times from this special Samsung Spinner drive. By the way are you aware that they are unique brand in the marketplace to have this feature??!! Then I place the damaged (beyond recognition) disc in the DVD repair machine ....' :pt1cable:

Bob

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi everyone,

Had a chat on the phone with a Samsung support chap earlier... The RMA request email is away for the 4 ODDs as of now. I will keep you all informed of my progress!!

Bob

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi all, :hello:

An update to this exciting thread. I have mailed all 4 ODDs back to a Samsung repair partner today. They agreed to the RMA request a few days ago...

An el-cheapo 16.00GBP Lite-On SATA drive works well as a replacement and does not eject spinning disks when connected on the same PCI-X Host Controller (which Samsung tried to blame for the problems :pt1cable: ). The cheaper Lite-On drive also supports hot-plugging (the Samsung ODDs failed miserably in this regard)...

Bob

bobwya

May 21, 2005
OK.

So nobody read my thread but what the heck I'll wrap it up now anyways...

So I sent the DVD Rewriters back to Samsung...

They turned the 4 replacement drives around in under a week (wow!! - since I sent the drives out individually - all second class post).

The replacement drives have an earlier date of manufacture by 1-2 months then the original drives (so slightly less warranty - oh dear - but no biggie :) ).

Well I tried them out and I what the heck they are OK so I'll just dump them on folk who'll be using them on a SATA-I interface... Mind you I have yet to eject a 'spinner' on one I have hooked up in my external case...

So 10/10 for Samsung customer service - all very efficient (especially allowing an RMA of 4 ODD's at once)... :bounce:

Bob

rashm2k

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I know this like a year later but I'm having the same problem aswell. Drive ejects spinnig disks.

Toshiba makes samsung drives (TSSTCorp) and they are rubbish.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Well the new (older - f***ng warranty scam) drives I got as replacements I no longer have this problem. Perhaps it was a faulty batch... But they are still the only DVD drives in my external box that won't hotswap (via a multilane SATA port). So I'm gradually dumping the drives on other folk (heh, heh - well hey they don't eject spinning disks anymore)!! The Pioneer (BD burner) and LiteOn (DVD burner) drives hotswap just fine... :non:

Anyway no more Samsung (Toshiba) drives for my systems or any I build for other people... Especially with the Samsung Support guy saying their ODDs only working with on (mother)board SATA controllers... What next - it only works on SATA-I ports?? What ****... :hello:

Bob