Problems installing heatsink for Q6600

mindspin311

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Ok, I installed the CPU, now I'm putting in the heatsink that came with the Q6600 CPU. I place it over the CPU and it's one of those where you just push the pins in to install (rotate and pull them to remove). It won't go in. I push in one side, and when I do the opposite corner, the other pin pops out. Anyone ever have problems doing this?

Also, should there be a greyish residue on the cpu and bottom of the heatsink after I pull it out?

This is my first time installing a CPU, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If you are trying to install it in the case then remove the mobo and install the HS outside the case, it will be easier in the long run. Later you might invest in the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F fan. Installation of this will also require removing the mobo. The Q6600 will benefit from the additional cooling especially if you overclock it. The grayish residue it the thermal compound leave it on there unless you have another tube of it lying around.

fred-e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Easy to say spend more money but you should get a new heatsink, there are lots for $30-$40 that will make a HUGE difference. The one taht comes with the Q6600 is garbage.