drewteam

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I have built my past two computers and just assembled my first 64 bit system. Come to find out there are no drivers available from linksys for windows xp 64 bit. I bought it when I heard I HAD to have it. Now, I've read on a post in the wireless network section saying that just because you have a 64 bit processor does not mean you have to have a 64 bit windows. How does that work? If I install my regular Windows XP Pro SP2, will it work? What are the draw backs? Are they worth me going out and buying a brand new card that might have 64 bit?

Another question...I read that netgear has beta versions out for Vista, and they MIGHT work with Xp 64. Anyone had any luck? This is the link I was sent to for those drivers..

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101649.asp#vista_wirelessadapter

So, I'm going to give the netgear a world this weekend because my roomate has a WG311 v3 and its on the list of working with vista beta drivers.

One last question..I was told that linksys bridge WET54G would work for me as well with any wired network adapter built in or otherwise. Has anyone had any experience with this model? I have read mix reviews at newegg.com saying some have great range with it, others say it stinks. I am about 35-45 feet through 5 walls from my router.

Any suggestion are very appreciated! Thanks a lot in advanced! Pulled my hair out for 3 weeks with this! :pt1cable:

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Don't worry, everyone is having the EXACT same problems with Vista, SP1 should be coming out soon.

You can use 32 or 64 bit Windows OS on a 64 bit processor, if you already bought Vista 64, you are forced to be patient.

If you have a non-OEM version of Windows XP SP2, by all means "upgrade" to it LOL. I'd even hop in the car and grab another copy if I was you and just hang on to Vista 64 until it gets more support.

I am sticking to XP 32bit until my next computer, hopefully things will be better.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
If there is no drivers for the linksys and you use it all the time i would suggest installing you XP pro 32bit on this machine. All 64bit processors currently are backwards compatible to 32bit the main advantage with 64bit currently is that it will support more RAM, if you dont have more than 4gb of RAM i doubt you will notice any difference between the 64bit and 32bit OS's