Sign in with
Your question

Installing WD7500AAKS, startup hang

Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2008 10:24:45 PM

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on a problem I am having installing the new hard drive I just purchased.
I have some troubleshooting skills and some aid from a buddy of mine but we are out of ideas.

First of all, here are the components:

New Drive: WD7500AAKS 750GB SATA,16MB, 7200RPM High Speed Internal Hard Drive

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1800+
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X Deluxe REV 1.xx
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1008 09/14/2004
HDD: WDC WD800BB-32CCB0 (80.03 GB) IDE

The drive is detected when starting up but hangs at detection. There is an option to enter a RAID utility but this
does not work. From this screen all I can do is restart.

I am able to boot into XP again when restarting with the new drive unplugged. In this fashion I have partitioned the
drive to my liking and backed up all of my files as I would like to switch to the new drive to replace the old 80GB.

I have updated the BIOS to the current version which I listed above hoping that this would aleviate the hang. This
obviously didn't work.

I should mention though that this is not the first SATA drive to be used on this mobo. But, the last was only 120GB.. I have heard that some outdated OS have a size limit on hard drives. Is this the case for some motherboards?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Also if there is any other information which is needed or a better format in which a post should be let me know as
this is my first here.

Thanks!
January 9, 2008 11:55:19 PM

I believe that your MB (SIL3112a chip) only supports SATA150 so you probably need to add a jumper to the drive to force it to use SATA150 mode vs the default SATA300 mode. The jumper goes on the 2nd or 3rd set of pins. Just flip the drive over and look at the picture of the pins and it should show you which set of pins to jumper together for SATA150.

If necessary, you may need to download a new driver for your drive here: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresult...

Hopefully this info helps.

Chogo.
a b G Storage
January 10, 2008 3:56:35 PM

It is possible for motherboards to not nativly support very large drives. I have an Athlon 1.4 board, not sure what kind, that doesn't support a 250 GB drive. It works fine as a backup once the os is loaded. I can see the full 250. Only thing I cant do is boot off it without having the drive overlay from WD installed.

I would say your problem is the SATA 150/300 jumper needs moved like chogo said.
Related resources
January 19, 2008 8:31:15 PM

Hey sukabware,

I have the same motherboard, just bought the same new drive, and was having the same problem! I tried playing with jumpers, changing cables, etc, without any success. I finally found the solution here:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2007030410293469...

The problem is that the Silicon Image serial ATA controller (which is built
into the Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard) needs a BIOS update to properly
handle the drive. The SI BIOS is actually part of the ASUS BIOS, but ASUS has not come up with a BIOS update that includes it.

The solution? Basically, as described in the thread above, you (1)download the latest ASUS BIOS (from ASUS's web site), (2)download the latest SI BIOS separately (from www.siliconimage.com), (3)patch the new SI BIOS into the ASUS BIOS, and (4)flash the result onto motherboard. I did it and now everything works perfectly! I used Winflash to do the flashing, BTW, since I don't have a floppy drive.

Alternately, you could just buy a separate serial ATA controller card.

Hope that helps!
February 28, 2008 7:17:55 PM

Hi,
I am having the exact same problem, with the exact same drive, on the same SATA chipset. The difference is mine is on a stand-alone SATA I/O card made by Sweex, which I need to flash. I use only Linux on the machine in question, so I have to boot into FreeDOS, and flash the BIOS using updflash.exe. Problem is, updflash asks me about which "flash memory type" is on the card, and I have absolutely no idea what to give as an answer. Is there some "safe" generic flash memory type that I can select, or do I have to know the exact type? And if so, how do I find that out — there is no technical information available on the card? I would very much appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Thanks!
!