phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
This is probably wrong from a reading error but my bios says my e6750 C2D is running at 95C (203F) which makes no sense! But I wanted to ask you guys 1st b4 I install windows on it incase it isnt a malfunction because the C2D manual says it should be at 20-29C. :S

PS
Im using a MSI P35 mobo with 2 case fans. 1 su ks in air the back pumps out air.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Your heat sink is not mounted properly.

The bios read is hardly EVER wrong. 95c is about the temp a naked chip would report.

You did mount the heatsink with the fan on top of the cpu, correct?

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
it was a stock, it was a heatsink with a CPU on it and you press these clickthings into the mobo and when it... clicks, its locked into place.

erloas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
There is no possible way to have an LGA775 processor (which the E6750 is) pre-set on a heatsink. There would be no way to install the processor into the socket with the heatsink attached. Even the older sockets wouldn't work right like that.

Since the system seems to be booting up though obviously what you have done and what you are explaining aren't the same thing.

The heatsink needs to be re-seated it sounds like.

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
my bad, i mean the Heatsink came with the fan attached to it and it came with my CPU, i put the CPU in my mobo then i put the heatsink over it which had a thermal pad thing already on it. hte CPU was NOT attached to the heatsink. the heatsink is fully latched to the mobo atm, and the fan is running. but BIOS says 95-96C for my CPU but it says 28C for my system temp.

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Speedfan says both cores are in the 50's. which is obviously better then 95 but still to high. Shoudl i buy thermal grease adn go back to my other heatsink? (Kept my P4 at 51C)

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
My first suggestion would be to see if there is an updated BIOS for your board, it is possible that there is a glitch in the BIOS and it's reporting the temp wrong especially due to the fact that the chip your using is fairly new. Secondly go to the store or online and get some Arctic Silver 5, clean off the thermal pad with alcohol and a coffee filter (to keep lint off the surfaces) and follow the directions on the Arctic Silver site for application. 50 degree temps are fairly close to what you should expect for the stoch HSF with the stock thermal pad.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Those clicky's on the stock HS can be tricky to seat.

Power down, remove the stock hs with a flathead screwdriver, and see if you have any thermal contact between the two pieces. This is indicated by the amount of goo on each piece, may have the problems I had on WC'ing my 8800 gtx, I had to file down the standoffs......

Should have a fair amount of thermal goo on both pieces. If not, look to add more, or improve the contact between the two.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
it isnt in ferinhiet is it (if it isnt it should be - go imperial).

often hsf hasnt got full contact, remove it, remover the CPU, re seat the cpu, apply grease, perhaps a bit more than last time, firmly attache HSF.
BTW if your using that pad which came witht the hsf then rapply grease anyway

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
your right. i got a trusty level out and put it on the heatsink, the back end wasnt flush so i pressed harder on it (was kind of scary the amount of force it needed) and it clicked... eventualy and i turned on the comp went to bios and its at 39C XDXDXDXD!!!