Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 / Q6600 o/c issue

Last response: in Overclocking
November 14, 2007 8:31:28 AM

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if someone could give me a helping hand on this one? I’m trying to find the right spot for o/c’ing a Q6600 G0 and have tried a number of variables with no real success yet. I’m quite happy to settle for 3.0GHz (3.2/3.4GHz would be nice if I can tweak my machine to suit, but happy to err on the side of stability rather than super speed).

I appreciate you get bombarded by these questions but, if it helps, I have done lots of Googling and forum searching but can’t see anything quite specific for my set-up.

To note, I have been altering the Vcore by changing the CPU Voltage Control entry in MIT in BIOS. I hope this is the right way to do it! I up’d the CPU Frequency to 3.00Ghz (9x333).

Rightly or wrongly, I initially started testing using Prime95’s Small TFT test, and started-off with a low voltage, with a view to working upwards.. Commenced at 1.275 and ran for 1.5hrs with no errors, cores peaking at 59°C. Then someone said to me that I should really be using the Blend test on Prime, as it’s a more ‘rounded’ test and stresses the RAM too, so I switched to that. That’s when I started encountering errors…

1.275 vCore = error 21mins
1.2875 = error 10mins
1.29375 = error 11mins
1.3= error 12mins
1.30625 = error 16mins
1.31250 = error 9mins

From the above results I soon realised that perhaps I was approaching this from the wrong way round and needed to find and start at a high, stable, vCore setting and work my way downwards, so set the System Voltage Control to AUTO. I noted from BIOS that ‘AUTO’ ran the vCore at 1.364. I ran Prime95’s Blend test for 1hr and no errors were reported, although it ran quite hot (peaked at one stage at 68/68/60/60°C on the cores but mostly cooler than this). ‘No problems’ I thought; I’ll just lower the Vcore down one increment at a time until I find a good heat trade-off versus stability!

I changed System Voltage Control to Normal and lowered the Vcore to 1.35. Temps dropped by a degree or two, but I got an error after 10mins of testing. Vcore in CPU-Z showed 1.312 under load. I
tried the test again and same results.

I tried again, this time up’ing the Vcore to 1.36875 and received an error after 9 mins on one test and 12mins on a second test. Vcore in CPU-Z showed 1.328-1.344 under load).

So, I’m a bit stumped. At one Vcore setting the system is stable on the Blend test (using ‘Auto’, showing 1.364) but if I manually change the vCore to run at the increments either side of this (1.35 or 1.36875) the system is unstable. I’m guessing that setting the System Voltage Control to AUTO has maybe changed settings in other areas to ensure stability, but I’m not sure what.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could change/tweak to bring down the Vcore a bit (to lessen the temps) but to ensure a fairly stable system (i.e. not crashing on the Blend test )?

Any help or pointers REALLY APPRECIATED – thanks in advance guys!!

My system and BIOS details are detailed further below.

MY PC Spec
.Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775
.Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
.4GB Corsair DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4 (4-4-4-12)
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB o/c (600MHz)
.Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Fatal1ty Professional Series
.Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad PCI-E 750W Power Supply
HSF Cooling: Thermalright Ultima 90 (Sythe 120mm pull / 92mm push) with Arctic Silver 5
74GB Western Digital Raptor Serial ATA 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache
250GB Western Digital Caviar SE Serial ATA 7,200 RPM 8MB Cache

Advanced BIOS Features ----------------------------
HDD SMART Capability Disabled
Limit CPUID Max to 3 Disabled
No-execute Memory Protect Enabled
CPU Enhaned Halt (C1E) Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) Enabled
CPU EIST Function Disabled
Virtualisation Technoogy Disabled

Power Management Utility ----------------------------
HPET Mode 64-bit mode

MIT -----------------------------------------------------------
Robust Graphics Booster Auto
CPU Clock Ration 9x
CPU Frequency 3.00GHz (333x9)
CPU Host Clock Control Enabled
PCI Express Frequency 100
CIA 2 Disabled
Performance Enhanced with: Turbo
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) Auto
Memory Frequency - 800 1000
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) Auto

** standard timing control **
CAS Latency Time 5 Auto
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 5 Auto
DRAM RAS# Precharge 5 Auto
Precharge delay (tRAS) 18 Auto

** advanced timing control **
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) 3 Auto
Rank Write to READ Delay 3 Auto
Write to Precharge Delay 6 Auto
Refresh to ACT Delay 42 0
Read to Precharge Delay 3 Auto
Static tRead Value 5 Auto
Static tRead Phase Adjust 0 Auto
Command Rate (CMD) 2 Auto

** Clock Driving & Skew Control **
CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control 800mV
CPU Clock Skew Control Normal
(G)MCH Clock Skew Control Normal

System Voltage Control Auto
DDR2 OverVoltage Control Normal
PCI-E OverVoltage Control Normal
FSB OverVoltage Control Normal
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control Normal
MCH Reference Voltage Control Normal
DDR Reference Voltage Control Normal
DDR Termination Voltage Control Normal
CPU Voltage Control xxxxxxx
Normal CPU Vcore xxxxxxx

November 14, 2007 11:05:08 AM

OK this is the setting from my thinking, red colour are the settings you need to change :

CPU Clock Ration 9x
CPU Frequency 3.00GHz (333x9)
CIA 2 Disabled
Performance Enhanced with: Normal -> change the value only if you have EPP RAM.
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) 2 you can set at 2.5
Memory Frequency - 800 667 it'll be 833 if you set at 2.5
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) Manual

CAS Latency Time
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay
DRAM RAS# Precharge 4
Precharge delay (tRAS) 12

if you set at 833 then loosen up the timings :
CAS Latency Time 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay
DRAM RAS# Precharge 5

**advanced timing control **
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) 3 AutoRank Write to READ Delay 3 AutoWrite to Precharge Delay 6 AutoRefresh to ACT Delay 42 0Read to Precharge Delay 3 AutoStatic tRead Value 5 AutoStatic tRead Phase Adjust 0 AutoCommand Rate (CMD) 2 Auto

** Clock Driving & Skew Control **
CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control 800mV CPU Clock Skew Control Normal (G)MCH Clock Skew Control Normal Those are new settings, i don't know much about it. Try to read the manual.

System Voltage Control Manual
DDR2 OverVoltage Control Normal -> You need to check what's you RAM voltage. Usually gigabyte's default RAM voltage is at 1.8v, so if your RAM need 2v, you need to set this +0.2v
FSB OverVoltage Control +0.1v
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control +0.1v
MCH Reference Voltage Control Normal DDR Reference Voltage Control Normal DDR Termination Voltage Control Normal
-Don't really know about those settings-
CPU Voltage Control xxxxxxx
Normal CPU Vcore xxxxxxx

Ignore the blinking message saying that your system are not optimized.

Do not in the rush testing your rig with blend test, try with small fft first. Concentrate on optimizing the CPU first. When you got a solid overclocked CPU, then you can start to tighten the RAM. And test them with blend.
November 14, 2007 12:18:43 PM

slicessoul said:

[/#ff1c00][#0e00f0]DDR2 OverVoltage Control Normal -> You need to check what's you RAM voltage. Usually gigabyte's default RAM voltage is at 1.8v, so if your RAM need 2v, you need to set this +0.2v

Thanks Slicesoul! that's great. I'll give this a go.

Just to check on the above comment, checking on my RAM voltage ... is this something I should look for on my actual RAM manufacturer's website (my RAM is: "Corsair DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4 (4-4-4-12") - or - is it something I should look for on my MB documentation?

thanks again!
Related resources
November 14, 2007 12:22:56 PM

Yep you need to check on your RAM manufacturer website.

When you are finish changing the value on the BIOS, don't forget to press F11 before save and exit from BIOS. This is to create a profile, in case the BIOS is resetting itself when your overclocking are unacceptable by the system.

You can use everest to see the voltages. You can check the voltages of RAM in the sensor section of everest.

You're welcome.
November 14, 2007 12:42:41 PM

Also, you mentioned - "Performance Enhanced with: Normal -> change the value only if you have EPP RAM."

It looks like my RAM has EPP. which setting would you recommend here pls?
The options are Standard, Turbo or Extreme. thanks again.
November 14, 2007 12:54:11 PM

Paladash said:
Also, you mentioned - "Performance Enhanced with: Normal -> change the value only if you have EPP RAM."

It looks like my RAM has EPP. which setting would you recommend here pls?
The options are Standard, Turbo or Extreme. thanks again.

Just checked on the datasheet for the RAM and it doesn't mention anything about the EPP: http://www.corsairmemory.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-640...

However the site I bought the kit from does say it uses EPP:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...

I'm not sure if the datasheet has not included this info, although it seems unlikely. If I err on the side of caution will running "Performance Enhanced with:" at Normal cause any problems if I happen to have EPP RAM?
November 14, 2007 12:59:46 PM

Options may vary on this one. Normally EPP are for SLI/Nvidia, but apparently Intel adopt/support it. It's true it enhanced memory bandwidth, but for make sure which settings you have to set, it's you who have to test.

I have OCZ platinum rev 2 which doesn't support EPP. I got 50MB/s (memory write) diferences between Normal and Fast. But when i set on turbo, my system hang (BIOS won't start).

Gigabyte website or mainboard manual doesn't explain so much about this.

You need to set +0.3v in BIOS for RAM when running the RAM at 4-4-4-12 timings.
November 14, 2007 1:23:52 PM

slicessoul said:
Options may vary on this one. Normally EPP are for SLI/Nvidia, but apparently Intel adopt/support it. It's true it enhanced memory bandwidth, but for make sure which settings you have to set, it's you who have to test.

I have OCZ platinum rev 2 which doesn't support EPP. I got 50MB/s (memory write) diferences between Normal and Fast. But when i set on turbo, my system hang (BIOS won't start).

Gigabyte website or mainboard manual doesn't explain so much about this.

Thanks for that. I've tried on Normal..

+ I checked out the documentation on Corsair and saw it had been tested at 2.1V. The MB = 1.8V, as you say, so I've set the DDR2 OverVoltage Control at +0.30V..

+ CPU Voltage Control (vCore) i've set at 1.36875 as this was the next increment under my last system test (albeit with different variables) but it ran too hot for me (touching 70C) so trying to bring the temp down a bit...

.. but ..

.. I'm getting a Windows Boot Manager problem.. "Windows failed to start. A recent h'w or s'w change might be the cause.. To fix problem: 1. insert Win install disc ...etc..etc.." "Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt"..

.. I can try reverting the changes I've made one-by-one but, just to ask you, do you know what may be causing this issue?

November 14, 2007 1:35:01 PM

Try to loosen up the RAM timings. 5-5-5-12 or 5-5-5-15. Bring the voltage at +0.2v. Load the windows. Possibly it got corrupted because of tight timings of RAM and not enough voltage on RAM.

btw, do you have any USB devices ? remove all of them if exist. Disable Legacy USB on BIOS while overclocking. But if you have USB keyboard+mouse, let it enable.
November 14, 2007 1:37:37 PM

Quick interim update... I've altered the settings to see if I can boot to Windows, and I can now..

I changed:

DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) to 2.50A, giving a Mem Freq of 833
Relaxed timings to: 5-5-5-15

Perhaps the memory timings were too tight for me? I'm in unchartered waters so please forgive any noobie questions or statements :)  Cheers for your understanding!

November 14, 2007 1:40:51 PM

slicessoul said:
Try to loosen up the RAM timings. 5-5-5-12 or 5-5-5-15. Bring the voltage at +0.2v. Load the windows. Possibly it got corrupted because of tight timings of RAM and not enough voltage on RAM.

btw, do you have any USB devices ? remove all of them if exist. Disable Legacy USB on BIOS while overclocking. But if you have USB keyboard+mouse, let it enable.

thanks Slicesoul! - think i was typing and sending the message at the same time as you, so didn't see your reply in time..

As the machine has booted Ok, I'll see how it tests on TFTs and then Blends from here..
If i get anymore loading/crashing probs I'll follow your other suggestions.

No other USBs attached; only a wireless keyboard and mouse..
November 14, 2007 1:47:25 PM

OK, temp reading ?
November 14, 2007 1:50:59 PM

slicessoul said:

Do not in the rush testing your rig with blend test, try with small fft first. Concentrate on optimizing the CPU first. When you got a solid overclocked CPU, then you can start to tighten the RAM. And test them with blend.

Just looking at your comment about the testing - small TFTs vs Blend. I'm a bit worried I may spend a huge amount of time getting the right tweaks set for successful Small TFTs tests, only to find I suddenly fail when it comes to doing the Blend testing, as this has happened before. I had to start from scratch.

Sorry to push for more answers, but what are the main differences between the two tests? Is it as simple as the Small TFT just tests the CPU and the Blend test tests the CPU and RAM?

Looking ahead; if I get to a stage where I've got a stable set-up running successful Small TFTs and then, when I try to do a Blend test and it fails, is it just a case of playing with the RAM settings to fix the issue, or will I have to start from scratch?
Sorry for the noob question!!
November 14, 2007 1:57:17 PM

slicessoul said:
OK, temp reading ?

Just a 4mins into a Small TFT test and at 66/66/58/58.. a bit on the warm side at this early stage of the test.
Ready to bug-out if it hits 70 degrees....

November 14, 2007 2:02:36 PM

Small FFT tests the CPU. All the data fits in the cache and runs the test at core speed. Blend tests the RAM, NB, and CPU because the data fits in the RAM. CPU doesn't get as loaded because it can't transfer data at CPU speed.
November 14, 2007 2:11:13 PM

It doesn't mean that your hardware are failure when you got error in torturing test. If you pass the small fft, it's already a good sign. You need to do some tweaking in another area such RAM, chipset and voltages.

Honestly, i passed a small fft test without error pass memtest without error and 1 error in blend. But i can loop 3Dmark test for 10 times without error or hang or playing games for hours without crash.
November 14, 2007 2:13:54 PM

Thanks guys. It's something I've always thought about... obviously these stress tests totally MAX out the hardware, whereas even the hi-end games probably won't see all my cores hitting 100%! If, say, my PC is '90%' 'fit' for a hard stress test then surely I'll be 99/100% fit for the games... :) 
November 14, 2007 2:31:47 PM

My Q6600 runs at 3.2 GHz. I run F@H in the background and play TF2 with maxed out settings with music and Ventrilo.

Peaks at 60% usage and an average of 45-50%

I'll run Lost Planet with F@H and see what I get since it utilizes more cores.

Edit: My testing is 8 hours Small FFT stable. Then without a restart 12 Hours Blend Stable. If both tests pass with no errors then I restart and use it for normal use for 7 days straight without a restart.

If it doesn't crash that's good enough for me.
November 15, 2007 5:27:32 AM

Today Gigabayte issue new bios F7a beta for GA-X38-DQ6.
MY PC Spec-3.6 GB
.Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775
.Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
.2x1GB Kingston DDR2 800MHz/KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN EPP-Memory (4-4-4-12)
.XFX GeForce 8600 GT 256MB o/c (650MHz)
.Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
.HSF Cooling: Zalman 9700NT
.320GB Hitachi Serial ATA 7,200 RPM 16MB Cache

Advanced BIOS Features ----------------------------
HDD SMART Capability Disabled
Limit CPUID Max to 3 Disabled
No-execute Memory Protect Enabled
CPU Enhaned Halt (C1E) Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) Enabled
CPU EIST Function Disabled
Virtualisation Technology Disabled

CPU Clock Ration 9x
CPU Frequency 3.60GHz (400x9)
CIA 2 Disabled
Performance Enhanced with: Turbo
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) Manual
Memory Frequency - 800 800 (x2)
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) Manual

CAS Latency Time 4
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 4
DRAM RAS# Precharge 4

** advanced timing control **
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) Auto
Rank Write to READ Delay Auto
Write to Precharge Delay Auto
Refresh to ACT Delay 42 0
Read to Precharge Delay Auto
Static tRead Value Auto
Static tRead Phase Adjust Auto
Command Rate (CMD) Auto

System Voltage Control Manual
DDR2 OverVoltage Control +0.2V
FSB OverVoltage Control +0.3V
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control +0.2V
CPU Voltage Control 1.4125V
Normal CPU Vcore 1.3125
Temp 48-50 idle
This week will try to test
November 22, 2007 10:33:43 PM

I have the same hardware but with 4 Gig of OCZ DDR SDRAM 1150 MHz Flex. I have been able to get up to a stable 400 FSB. But at 405 FSB, I get black screen crashes or crashes caused by use of mouse.
Current settings: CPU Host Frequency 405; PCI Express Frequency: 100; CIA2: disabled; Performance Enhance: Standard; System Memory Multiplier: 2.66D (Memory Frequency 1066/1067);
DRAM Timing Selectable: Auto 5 5 5 12; CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving: 800 (Should this be higher?); DDR2 OverVoltage: +.40; FSB OverVolage: +.20; (G)MCH OverVoltage: +.125; CPU Voltage: 1.475. Everything else: Normal or Auto.
Good water cooling.
I've been told that a stable FSB of 420 MHz is doable but can't seem to get over 400 FSB.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
!