Why is my Ethernet Port (NIC card) restarting my pc?

Jerseyworth

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
Something that I just can't figgure out on my own here. This is the problem. I plug my ethernet port into one of the little open slots on the back of my desktop pc, then I plug in the ethernet cable connecting to the linksys router wich connects to two other computers to the internet. (the one i'm on now) Well, what happens is after I plug everything in and start up the PC, it boots up normal, then when you get to the "Welcome" loading screen the pc just restarts. I did this three times wondering what in the __ was going on. Then I unplugged the ethernet cable from the card and started my pc up and everything ran smooth as silk. SO, I plugged in the ethernet cable, and clicked on the internet explorer icon to pop up the internet window, google popped up and YES, It worked! Then, out of nowhere, POW!!! The computer restarted! (how dramatic lol) Mother Mary of... I did that, oh, I'd say about three times, then I picked up the PC tower and smashed it through the window. Well, no but I thought about it. But anyways what could be causing this to happen? Can I fix it? Will you people help me?

Oh, by the way. I also tried a different ethernet card thingy with the same outcome. So let me know what you peeps think.

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Your router is the culprit, it's probably sending too high voltage to the ethernet port, may be broken, with any luck, try a different port on it.

I accidentally connected a 12v adapter to a router that needed 9, and this happened to me.

Are your drivers up to date?

Make sure you computer's auto reboot on error is OFF.

Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" One there get to the "Advanced" tab and hit "Settings" under "Startup and Recovery". Once there uncheck "Automatically Restart".

That will force the computer to show you a blue screen of death if its a windows error. then you can write down the info and post it here.

Also in the bios make sure there is no wake or power on lan feature.

Last off post some info about your computer

What board?
CPU? is it overclocked?
Ram?
HDD?
Power Supply?
Video Card?
anything else you are running should also be listed