Sign in with
Your question

Wireless range extender or replace antennas?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 17, 2009 1:07:14 AM

Hello everyone,
I have a quick question.. I have a wireless network that I use at home. But my brother's and dad's computer dont seem to be getting a very good signal. I live in an apartment with concrete walls.

The Router is the D-link DI-724GU.

I am not sure which would work better for me. I was thinking of either getting an access point and use it as an extender like the D-link DWL-2100AP place it in an area between the 2 computers or replace the Antenna's on the Router I have with more powerful ones. The stock ones I believe are 3dBi signal. I was thinking of replacing them with the Dlink ANT24-0700, which have 7dBi signal.

Which do you guys think would help more?

Thanks
January 17, 2009 9:46:42 AM

is it possible to place the router in a more central location between all 3 machines? test moving the router around (doesnt need to be connected to the net) and see where ideally it would be positioned to get the best signal for all 3 machines, once you've found this position see what you would need to do to get it connected to the net.
January 17, 2009 2:27:58 PM

montyuk said:
is it possible to place the router in a more central location between all 3 machines? test moving the router around (doesnt need to be connected to the net) and see where ideally it would be positioned to get the best signal for all 3 machines, once you've found this position see what you would need to do to get it connected to the net.

Thanks for the reply. I thought about that but I would like to keep the router where it is as that space is my "trouble shooting" and repair location when someone gives me their computer to fix/repair. So I just plug a short Cat5 cable in there.

thats why I thought about either the AP or the Antenna.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 17, 2009 2:36:24 PM

You're better of with the Range Extender. I never had much success with those antenna's.

Grumpy
January 17, 2009 2:38:40 PM

Quote:
You're better of with the Range Extender. I never had much success with those antenna's.

Grumpy

Thanks for the reply Grumpy.
January 23, 2009 11:00:45 PM

do you know any good range extenders?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 24, 2009 9:30:10 AM

Linksys WRE54G
January 24, 2009 1:16:26 PM

For every 3 dBi gain in antenna you double radio power. So assuming your AP power is 50mW w/ 3 dBi you are getting 100mW out of the antenna.

If you add a 7 dBi antenna, you would have 220mW out of the AP (est math).

Thats an increase of 120mW est math.

You may have some success with higher gain antenna solution. My suggestions is to add another ap, or move the ap.

Range extenders will half your wireless throughput from clients that attach to the extender. If you are gaming, keep that in mind.
January 24, 2009 6:12:05 PM

gstefanick said:
For every 3 dBi gain in antenna you double radio power. So assuming your AP power is 50mW w/ 3 dBi you are getting 100mW out of the antenna.

If you add a 7 dBi antenna, you would have 220mW out of the AP (est math).

Thats an increase of 120mW est math.

You may have some success with higher gain antenna solution. My suggestions is to add another ap, or move the ap.

Range extenders will half your wireless throughput from clients that attach to the extender. If you are gaming, keep that in mind.

Thanks for the explaination. Very helpful.

I guess I'll try the Wireless Antenna first as its a much cheaper solution than buying an AP.

Thanks again
!