eSATA is so confusing!

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • External Drive
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
January 11, 2008 2:10:10 AM

I am going to be using a 500 GB to 1 TB external drive (eventually) exclusivly for backups.
2 quick questions:
1. Do I really need eSATA or is USB 2.0 good enough?
2. Do I need an add-on card? I really need eSATA (if I need to) because 1m isn't long enough for me. I have free SATA ports on my mobo (Asus Maximus Formula) but I have read that if you really want to use eSATA (with the length) you must have dedicated eSATA ports. Is that true?

Any help would be appreciated

DJ

More about : esata confusing

January 11, 2008 3:07:51 AM

1. You can use a USB drive - but eSATA will be 2 to 3 times as fast. Also be careful which eSATA drive you select. I bought a Semantec Free Agent on sale cuz I thought I was safe with that brand. But read this recent review - it also compares USB.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/01/07/sub_terabyte_ext...

2. You can get external eSATA ports that connect to your mobo eSATA connector rather than an add-on card - although they do use up a space on the back of the case. Here is a two connector example (I don't know enough about them to recommend one over another - this is just an example)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

January 12, 2008 8:16:12 PM

Does that convert the signal because I thought the Maximus formula didn't have eSATA ports. So do I just need that kind of thing or do I need an add-on card?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 12, 2008 9:05:40 PM

I use both eSATA and USB on my 750gb external. I mostly use USB as I dont have to switch off my pc to use esata. Only time I would use eSata is if I'm transferring thousands of documents that are over 20gbs.

Transfering 5gbs took me under 2-3 min, dont remember but its fine with me. esata for large backups and usb for quick gb transfers access.
January 12, 2008 9:52:19 PM

hFIKz said:
I use both eSATA and USB on my 750gb external. I mostly use USB as I dont have to switch off my pc to use esata. Only time I would use eSata is if I'm transferring thousands of documents that are over 20gbs.

Transfering 5gbs took me under 2-3 min, dont remember but its fine with me. esata for large backups and usb for quick gb transfers access.

Why do you have to turn off your PC for eSata? Isn't it hot swappable? I know regular SATA is as long as you use external power.
January 12, 2008 10:54:42 PM

eSata is great if you understand how it works.

eSata is more than 2 or 3 times faster. It's Significant enough to warrant it's use over USB. You don't need to turn off your PC to detect eSata, simply going to device manager and then scan hardware will detect the drive.

I use a 750GB drive connected using eSata for backups. I don't have any problems. Just remember to turn off indexing.

DJ898 said:
I am going to be using a 500 GB to 1 TB external drive (eventually) exclusivly for backups.
2 quick questions:
2. Do I need an add-on card? I really need eSATA (if I need to) because 1m isn't long enough for me. I have free SATA ports on my mobo (Asus Maximus Formula) but I have read that if you really want to use eSATA (with the length) you must have dedicated eSATA ports. Is that true?

DJ

January 13, 2008 4:19:27 AM

Ok I will use eSATA but my next question is what do I have to use to get an eSATA port? Can I just use the adapter rockyjohn suggested or do I need to get an add-on card? I don't think my Maximus formula has an eSATA port so any advice is appreciated
January 15, 2008 1:12:18 PM

DJ898 said:
2 quick questions:

DJ

1.) Like everyone said, eSATA is a whole lot faster than USB 2.0.

2.) You might prefer to use a card. While SATA and eSATA signals are the same, the voltage is slightly higher for eSATA. The reason the voltage is slightly higher is for use with longer cables. The difference in voltage is small enough to make the two work together, but large enough to make a difference in maximum cable length.
January 15, 2008 11:59:26 PM

crashman you answered my question because the 1m limit on SATA is too short for my comp and so thanks for the clarification that I do actually need an add-on card if I want the greater length of eSATA. Is this right? Any other things I should know?

Thanks for all of the help :kaola: