Upgrading Memory from 1GB to 2GB is Efficient in Vista?

davidmf

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
HI Everyone.
I have 1GB Geil DDR2 533 ram.I also activated "ReadyBoost" for my Team group flash memory 2GB (15MB/s write and 20MB/s read). But I feel system Performance is slow in windows vista.
Is upgrading RAM to Higher really efficient?What is your Recommendation for RAM in Vista?
my works: Ulead video studio, game(a little),web,word processing

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600,
RAM: 1GB Dual Geil
VGA:Geforce 7600GS 256MB RAM,
HDD: 250GB SATA Maxtor

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
At least 1GB, but the OS won't really feel smooth (yeah it's way smoother) until you have 2GB or higher for 32bit version. For 64bit version, you should have at least 2GB. At the time I tried 64bit I have 2GB but I went back because it feels slow.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

You 'feel' that the performance is slow? And what do you base this 'feeling' on? Your GPU is pretty slow, your CPU needs updating. For vista that is. And what version of this OS are you running?

What does the vista performance monitor say?

davidmf

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Very Thanks All for guidance.

Running programs isnot fast. for example running MS word in windows xp is faster than vista (of course 4-5 seconds faster for loading from RAM).it takes about 2mins to windows start up quite and HDD LED turn off. (my start up programs: PC Firewall, windows side bar,ChrisTv Agent, Windvr Agent, IDA, LAN, Say the time). with this programs windows xp will be loaded in less than 1 min.

All drivers was installed.

Vista performance monitor usually shows about 60% of memory usage.

jys84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
Vista takes FAR more system resources to run than XP. To meaningfully run Vista you should upgrade the majority of your components. At this point, I think sticking to XP is better for your setup as you will not see any benefit from Vista compared to XP.

royalcrown

Distinguished
I have to disagree with you entirely, I am running vista just fine on an xp2800 plus with ONE gig, although I am going to add another next month. I do however keep the superfluous garbage off of my system.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

CPU is OK and GPU also if dont wana play newest games on high resolution and settings.

Problem with wista is that is memory hungry system, with 2GB ram it still swaping like if it feel it should die in next 5 seconds. Vista with 2GB ram is worse then XP with 1GB, i would sugest 2GB for Vista as minimum if you will realy use some applications or games on it.

Its week when now when i upgraded from 2GB to 4GB ram and finaly i stop hearing HDD seeking 50% of time like it was before.