• New Build
  • AMD
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 30, 2007 10:38:11 AM

Hi

I'm looking to build a gaming PC for about £750

and i was going to go with the Intel E6750 as the E6850 was a bit out of my price rang but with asus comming out saying they are bringing out hte new Motherboards for AMD i assume the processors will be out then so my question is should i wait or because my budget stick with Intels E6750( take inconsideration that the Motherboard i have picked can handle Quad Core)

cheers

Raj

More about : amd worth wait

a c 136 V Motherboard
August 30, 2007 11:30:09 AM

go for core2duo and get a p35 board , it supports both nextgen 45nm cpus and also PCI-E 2 (at least the asus ones)

also if u want to wait for new tech , u cant ever buy a new pc, get a core2duo and enjoy !
August 30, 2007 11:31:27 AM

Build now if you need your new computer now to do what you want.
If your current computer does what it needs to do reasonably well, wait.

Without knowing what you have now and what you need the system to do, we cannot recommend beyond that.
Related resources
August 30, 2007 12:04:34 PM

the system i have now is my laptop

P4 3.2
1GB RAM
60GB HDD
128MB 9700 (mobile)

and my pc is an an old AMD 2600xp 1GB of RAM

I want a PC for Gaming and whats sort of holding me back is motherboards i cant decide out of the Asus P5KC Combo (P35) or the Asus P5K-E WiFi P35

I want a gaming machine to run Crysis and unreal 3 but i also need it to be about £750 including OS
August 30, 2007 12:06:41 PM

Not all P35 boards supports PCI-E 2.0, so remember to look for that feature in your motherboard. PCI-E 2.0 supports the current generation of graphics cards, if you were wondering.

The AMD rute would be waiting till AM2+ boards are released, should happen next month, make a working system with a AM2 processor(luckely they're cheap and not as bad as some Intel supporters make them look), and wait for around November when the first AM2+ Phenom processors are released. This system will also have support for PCI-E 2.0 BTW.
Personally I would be torn between getting the best I could get today or waiting for what might be the the best of tomorrow, however as there is a little AMD fanboy in me I would go with the AMD again and hope for the best.(I'm on the Crossfore 3200(AMD580) chipset, that for long has been the best AMD platform with it's two x16 PCI-E lanes, so I might be slightly buyist, as I hope for a Phenom to fuel my system)
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2007 12:40:14 PM

justjc said:
there is a little AMD fanboy in me

Is that legal?
August 30, 2007 1:10:14 PM

If you are an AMD Fanboi and want an AMD System I would wait at leaste until the AM2+ boards are released for maximum future potential.

Then but a system with a cheap AMD Processor such as the 4000+.
Then a few months after the Phenom ships, you could upgrade your processor.

However, If you can hold off to Nov, you will also be able to get the next generation of the Graphics Cards or perhaps get the current generation slightly cheaper.

Personally, Your system is so old, I would just go for it.
August 30, 2007 1:43:58 PM

Waiting will always get you better stuff so hang on until you tear out your finger nails if you can.
August 30, 2007 1:58:27 PM

Well, if you current computer servers your needs wait. Otherwise, build what ever the hell you want. In about 2 weeks Barcy is "scheduled" to release so we should get some good benchmarks released on the 10th.
August 30, 2007 1:59:12 PM

Intel's X38 motherboard that supports the PCI-E 2.0 will be out late next month. So wait if you can wait do so. I think X38 will be the last 775 socket mobo.
August 30, 2007 2:01:31 PM

when you guys say next generation graphics card i am still assuming i will be able to put a new DX10 Graphics card the possible intel system i buy or will i be completely buggered

August 30, 2007 2:28:29 PM

If i bought the following system now will i be absolutly buggered as i want to buy a DX 10 Card when a good mid range one comes out by ATI

Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Asus P5K Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix PC8500 RAM 2GB
Intel E6750 2.66 Core 2 Duo
OcUK ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB GDDR3
580Watt Power Supply
2 HDD (1 for XP 1 for Vista Ultimate 64Bit)
1DVD RW
August 30, 2007 2:41:09 PM

You will be fine.

PCIE-2 is really only a concern for EXTREMELY High End Cards.
There is not a card that exists today that comes close to saturating the PCI-E 1.1 Bus.

Most likely this will be required for the Generation AFTER the upcoming 9800 NVidia Cards. The next Gen cards may come in PCIE-2 but I would be dumbfounded if they did not come in PCIE 1.1 as well. It would be suicide to intro a card that does not run in all of today's Mobos.
August 30, 2007 2:47:11 PM

Zenmaster would you say i've got enough room to upgrade my potential system, Quad Core, a solid DX 10 graphics card
August 30, 2007 3:07:29 PM

I was in similiar position to you, although I built a bit more of a budget rig. (baby on the way!)

Gaming it's more about graphics card (given that any dual core really has pretty good performance) I ended up with a 7900 GS ($150), the next step up is still a pretty hefty increase +$180 (8800 thing), ironically the crippled GS allows it to overclock really well.

Processor? I stuck with AMD and got X2 4800, reasons for this runs cool (65w model), and the lower end Intel’s perform pretty much the same. Yes it doesn’t have the overclocking potential of the Core2Duo’s (read free upgrade), but the AM2 socket will work for the upcoming AMD quad, the Intel 775 socket is on a limited time span now.

Programs are (especially gaiming) are going to progress to multi-core then quad very quickly!
August 30, 2007 3:35:56 PM

so do you think the spec i have put in is fine for now and future (with the obvioius upgrade to the grapics on PCI E(1.1)
August 30, 2007 5:15:07 PM

Interesting article on CPU scaling with CPU's ranging from a celeron 440 up to E6700's and AMD600+'s here: http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=672&p=0 showing that you really dont need a uber CPU just yet. Even a cheap E4400 could see you through for a while.
August 31, 2007 2:19:43 AM

zenmaster said:
You will be fine.

There is not a card that exists today that comes close to saturating the PCI-E 1.1 Bus.

The next Gen cards may come in PCIE-2 but I would be dumbfounded if they did not come in PCIE 1.1 as well. It would be suicide to intro a card that does not run in all of today's Mobos.

PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatiblte with PCI-E 1.1. The next gen cards will all be PCI-E 2.0 and will work in PCI-E 1.1 mobo's.
August 31, 2007 7:30:55 AM

cheers guys
a c 136 V Motherboard
August 31, 2007 8:13:50 AM

a proof for systemlord :

http://xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20070817093...

Note that these limitations have been revealed only for the Blitz mainboard series that uses CrossLinx chip. Other Asus mainboards on Intel P35 chipset should have no problems with PCI Express 2.0 graphics cards support.
August 31, 2007 8:20:02 AM

zenmaster said:
You will be fine.

Most likely this will be required for the Generation AFTER the upcoming 9800 NVidia Cards. The next Gen cards may come in PCIE-2 but I would be dumbfounded if they did not come in PCIE 1.1 as well. It would be suicide to intro a card that does not run in all of today's Mobos.

You are rught, no single card is able too do so, but there are SLI, QUAD SLI, SAS controlers able manage 96+ hdd's, etc and those are limited by curent PCI-E 1.1. PCI-E 2 will also allow you to add more devices as those whitch now require 8+ PCI-E 1.1 lines will run even better on less PCI-E 2.
!