Overclocking E6600

apoth99

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
I had a browse through a number of posts already on this website. Some are useful, but I don't completely understand everything people are saying.

I was hoping that some people could help me out by clarrifying a few things, maybe point me to the overclocking guide for dummies or something similar lol.

My computer specs are:

Motherboard: GA-965P-S3 - http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2457

Processor: Intel Core 2 Dui E6600 2.4Ghz 4MB Cache 1066Mhz

Memory: Corsair XMS2 (TWIN2X2048-6400C4) Dual Channel kit 2x 1GB PC6400 DDR2 (800Mhz) Memory CL4-4-4-12 http://www.corsairmemory.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-6400C4.pdf

PSU: SilverStone ST65ZF 650W ATX 2.0

Graphics: MSI NX8800GTX

Last night when I was looking at the bios I noted the clock speed was set at 9x and the frequency was set to 200. I think this is the stock setting. I changed it to 266x9 to set the CPU at 2400Mhz which is what the e6600 is. I have been reading some pages and people have said they can get up to 3600mhz by setting it to 400x9. They also mention changing voltage and memory timings etc, which just goes a little over my head.

A picture of the overclocking section of my motherboard is here http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/mark_beehre/?action=view&current=DSC00259.jpg

Could one of the overclocking champions give me some help, perhaps point me to some really basic overclocking guide for beginners. At the moment I have a stock fan? Can I use that to get up to 3000mhz or something? My memory is set to 800mhz. Do I need ot decrease that to 533mhz to be 2:1 on the cpu frequency as some sites suggest.

Cheers,
Mark

apoth99

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
Yeah I had a browse through it. Evidently I am going to have to read through it in more detail and make notes. Make some carefully constructed questions and re-post. I will have a look over on the weekend. Cheers.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Go into BIOS and press ctrl-f1 to open hidden MIT section.

Then follow this :

Advanced BIOS Features
===================
HDD SMART Capability Disabled/Enabled ->Your choice
Limit CPUID Max to 3 Disabled
No-execute Memory Protect Enabled
CPU Enhaned Halt (C1E) Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) Enabled
CPU EIST Function Disabled
Virtualisation Technology Disabled

MIT
===
Robust Graphics Booster Auto
CPU Clock Ratio 7x
CPU Frequency 2.80GHz (400x7)
CPU Host Clock Control Enabled
PCI Express Frequency 100
CIA 2 Disabled
Performance Enhanced with: Normal
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) 2
Memory Frequency - 800 800

DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) Manual
**standard timing control**

CAS Latency Time 4

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 4

DRAM RAS# Precharge 4

Precharge delay (tRAS) 12

** advanced timing control **
========================

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) 3 Auto

Rank Write to READ Delay 3 Auto

Write to Precharge Delay 6 Auto

Refresh to ACT Delay 42 0

Read to Precharge Delay 3 Auto

Static tRead Value 5 Auto

Static tRead Phase Adjust 0 Auto

Command Rate (CMD) 2 Auto

=========================
Let all value on Auto

System Voltage Control Manual
DDR2 OverVoltage Control +0.3v (Note A)
PCI-E OverVoltage Control Normal
FSB OverVoltage Control +0.1v
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control +0.1v
CPU Voltage Control : "This is where you change your CPU voltage"
Normal CPU Vcore : " your default CPU voltage"

Check first the normal CPU vCore, since you are trying to clock it into 2.8 GHz, set the CPU Voltage control a little up, try 1.2875.

Before save and exit from BIOS, press F11 and create profile.

Note A : I set +0.3v is because your RAM need 2.1v on cas 4. Why +0.3v ? It's because gigabyte mobo set default RAM voltage at 1.8v, so to reach 2.1v you need to set +0.3v

Load the OS, check CPU temp, check NB temp, if BSOD/hang, raise again a little bit the CPU vcore.
If there's something corrupted, try to loosen up the DRAM timings.

This board NB can achieve high temp on load, if you have a 40mm fan, try to put it on.

If you want to set 333x9, set the memory multiplier at 2 (667) or 2.5(833), let timings at 5 and raise again the CPU vcore, try 1.3v.