mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Well, i started with AMD's lowly 4200+, moved up to the 5200+ when prices dropped and have just dropped another $300 on the 6400+ 3.2GHz wunberbar processor and Corsair XMS memory combo.

Time to rip out Four 512MB sticks of perfectly good Patriot RAM and the trusty 5200+ dual-core bad-boy,
This gives a me a good excuse to water-cool the CPU now.!

I've never been a Intel fan and never will............AMD is Back n Black

Despite your wasting of money in too frequent upgrades, trust me, AMD is still very far in the red, hence their use of senior stock to screw over the other stockholders.

Am I an "Intel Fanboy"? Well, judging by the AMD Opteron in my home system, I would say I'm probably rather objective. I just upgraded to three gigs of RAM, so I will probably be in this system until at least some time in 2008.

LOL, I don't! I wouldn't hesitate to buy AMD if it made sense. I'm not an overclocker, because I'm not good at it. I don't have the patience to make minor adjustments. I make broad adjustments and blow my motherboard or processor.

That's why it makes sense for me to go with either company. I do care a little about power consumption, but both companies offer good products that aren't over the top. AMD simply isn't for overclockers right now, they have NO overhead on their products.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
LOL, I don't! I wouldn't hesitate to buy AMD if it made sense. I'm not an overclocker, because I'm not good at it. I don't have the patience to make minor adjustments. I make broad adjustments and blow my motherboard or processor.
That's why it makes sense for me to go with either company. I do care a little about power consumption, but both companies offer good products that aren't over the top. AMD simply isn't for overclockers right now, they have NO overhead on their products.

:hello:I'm no OC'r either, i prefer not to test the limits of techno-engineering, however when i designed and built the system i thought i did my research and settled on the 4200+, the system ran well with decent 3DMark06 scores but the BM tool indicated a serious handicap on the CPU intensive programs.

Jumping from the 4200+ to the 5200+ gave it a noticable increase in performance with a score of 8487 but the CPU was still struggling on (correct me if I'm wrong) "red planet", I had been pondering the 6000+ with the larger L2 cache when i stumbled upon the 6400+ Black Edition, the combo including the 2GB Corsair XMS sticks made it even more attractive.

This new CPU and RAM should put me at or above 10,000 which means absolutely nothing but makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, besides i wanted a excuse to water-cool the CPU and get rid of that noisy CPU cooling fan
A lot of my entertainment programs are graphics and CPU intensive flight sims that really lay a heavy burden on the hardware.

My first graphics card was the 7950GTX which rocked until the PSU flew South with the mobo and video card in tow :fou: , Newegg refunded the 7950GTX as it was no longer available and replaced the ASUS M2N32-590SLI mobo, while this was taking place i sent the PSU back to houston and slipped a FSP group 750W unit in it's place, then i purchased a EVGA 8800GTS 320MB video card and slid it into the vacant PCI-E slot, I'm contemplating adding another 8800GTS and running them in SLI if i get the notion or can prove to myself that it will improve my gaming performance.

I'm confident that running 2 GTS 320's in SLI is better than 1 GTX 640MB.
I'll have to ante-up and post some pics of the bad-boy soon.
Cya L8r, George

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006

I'm quite sure your right but i would have to change the Motherboard and i am so in love with the ASUS M2N32-590SLI Deluxe, then again if you can find somebody that wants to trade for a Crosshair.....lol

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If you have the money, have at it. I upgraded my S939 3200+ to an x2 back in January and don't feel the need to upgrade so far. While the 6400+ looks pretty sweet, I'm gonna wait to see how the Phenom looks.

Have fun with your new toy!!

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Dude, that a lot of upgrading, I felt kinda silly upgrading from a x2-4200 to a 5600, especially when the guy at microcenter told me i could have overclocek to 5600 sppeds with no problem. I'm gonna see how the phenom performs before i make my next upgrade. Have fun though, and since you have money to burn, you can send me your odl video card and the 5200(still have my 4200, to lazy to put it on ebay)

I too upgraded my original S939 3200+ system. I went to a S939 Opteron 175 (dual core).

I am extremely satisfied with this processor. It runs awesome in single threaded stuff and just blows me away when multi-tasking. I can record TV quality video from my TV turner WHILE PLAYING COUNTERSTRIKE:SOURCE!!

No longer do I have to tell myself I can't do one thing while doing another.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I appreciate the offer on receiving my unused processors and such but my Mom has expressed a interest in learning how to use a PC so i am in the process of putting together a nice little system for her.