How to make my F-socket cool & quiet. Help?

JamesFitzgerald717

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
I'm really having a frustrating time trying to find a way to quiet down these processors, not really the processors but the fans. I bought a ASUS L1N64-SLI WS Dual L (1207FX) mobo and 2 FX-70 processors to go with them, turns out the stock fans on those processors are unbelievably loud. I can hear them down the hall and for a while they were bearable but now I just want to get rid of them and find something quieter, thats where the problem begins, I cant find anything! Socket F isnt a common CPU socket so its hard to find anything that will fit it but I did find one thing of interest while researching:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/12/vigor_force_recon_qx4/page2.html

In the article it showed them using 2 Vigor Monsoon TEC CPU coolers but the socket compatibility was: AMD Socket 754/939/940/AM2

So it make me wonder if I can use an AM2 compatible CPU cooler to cool the F socket CPUs? Im not sure though. So basically what I'm asking is if ANYONE has a solution to make my computer quieter I would appreciate it. I've looked everywhere and I just dont know what to do. :cry:

JamesFitzgerald717

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
Guess there werent any answers here, regardless i'll post what I found out in hopes that if someone else has the same problem they might find this post instead of searching the entire web for days like I did.

The FX-70 series is based off the FX-62 (Windsor) using the AM2 socket. Its actually almost identical except for the fact that it has 1,207 pins instead of 940 (thus the name "Socket F 1207"). The main difference is it seems to use a modified form of the LGA layout from intel's 775 series. So basically any CPU fan that works with the FX-62(Windsor) will work with the FX-70 series because the FX-70 is essentially a modified FX-62 . From what I can see the best results come when there is a CPU cooler compatible with both LGA775 and the AM2 especially the Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU cooler. Well thats my take on it, if anyone sees any errors with what I came up with please post so I know.

LGA775 socket:
lga775.jpg

F (1207) socket:
full.jpg