I am in great need of help..my new computer won't start

productx

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I am really desperate as my new configuration won't start. The specs are as follows:
Mobo: Asus P5K deluxe
Proc: Q6600
Graphic: Foxconn 7900 GS OC
RAM: Corsair 2GB 6400C4
3x SATA HDD
1x IDE Hdd
2x DVDRW
PSU: Antec Truepower II 480P
The symptoms are that when i press the power button the fans start, the HDD's seem to start also, but the monitor remains in sleep mode and no BEEP is heard from the mobo. I really have no clue of what could be wrong. I really need some advice. Thank You

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
You may want to check all of you connections. Check you monitor cable, check the hdd SATA and IDE connections. The hard drives may be spinning because they have power, but maybe the data connections are bad. If there is no beeps, than most things are working, usually you will get a single beep after POST is done, and everything is fine. I have a P5B mobo, and thats how it works. My best suggestion would be to double check everything, I kinda seems like a video problem, so check that first. Anyway hope that helps. :)

badguy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Looking at your specs (4 HD's, 2 DVDRW, GPU, Q6600) I'm not sure your 480W PSU can handle it all. I ran into a similar problem years ago and a new PSU solved it. You could verify this out by booting with 1 HD and 1 DVD drive. If that works I would suggest getting at least a 650W PSU. Good Luck.

Assuming the speaker is properly connected to the motherboard, no beep means the POST did not run. A bad video card or bad memory would still generate a beep pattern indicating video or memory problems.

(You should become familiar with the POST codes. Your motherboard manual may list them. If not, google something like "asus post codes".)

If so, six possibilities:
1. The motherboard is improperly installed in the case, shorting something out.

2. Bad PSU. A working PSU will send a control signal call "PSGood" to the motherboard. The motherboard needs this signal before the CPU can start the boot process. A problem with any output should kill the PSGood signal.

3. A bad drive or video card affecting the PSU.

4. Bad memory.

5. Bad CPU.

6. Bad motherboard.

Disassemble everything. Breadboard (assemble the components outside the case on an insulated surface) the PSU, motherboard and speaker, and CPU and HSF. If the problem was in the CPU socketing, reinstalling the CPU should solve it. Now you need a way to turn on the computer. I use wiring, switches , and LED's scavenged from and old case.

Turn on the computer. If you hear beeps, the computer at least started POSTing and the PSU, motherboard, and CPU are probably good. No beeps means that at least one of the three are bad. At that point, all you can do is test the parts by substitution.

If you heard beeps, install memory and video card and plug in the monitor. Turn on the computer. No beeps now means that either the memory or video card is bad. Test by sustitution. At this point you should see something on the monitor if the video card is good.

At this point, you should see a "missing keyboard" error. Turn off the PSU and plug in a keyboard.

Turn on computer. Enter the BIOS to set date and time and verify the amount of memory present. If you can do this, it means that all the expensive parts are probably good.

Start plugging in the rest of the components and test. No beep, and you have found the problem. If everything works, it probably means that something was improperly installed in the case.

Reassemble in the case and test. If you are lucky, everything works.

I always breadboard a new build. I pretty much reserve the fourth port of my KVM switch for system testing.

badguy posted his reply while I was composing mine. He is right - a 480 w PSU is marginal for your system. Try his idea first. Unplug all but your boot drive and see what happens. Do the simple shi... err, stuff first.

Let us know what happens. I am alway glad to find out if my advice is worth more than someone paid for it.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Probably the PSU if all your connections are done properly (get a friend to verify, overlooking something silly is easy). I got screwed on an Antec with this build, had to go for a cheap TT which is great BTW.

productx

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Thanks fot Your input.
Yes, I know my PSU is at the limit, I will change it anyway.
And regarding the system...i did what You recommended me, also I reseted the BIOS, and additionally, as I read somewhere about it, I took one memory stick out. And guess what...it started. Very strange. Then i changed the memory i had plugged in, and it still works. So it works with one memory stick ( anyone of them, seems not to matter which one). I don't understand. And additionally, I saw in BIOS some temperature readings which made me very anxious: CPU 80 deg Celsius. I will ocnsult the Intel homepage anyway to see the working tempretures, but it still is pretty clear to me that I will have to add some paste or something ( at the moment i have a big home fan oriented to the case :D:D )

authoratah

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
You'll reseat the CPU, right? I know the q6600 runs hot sometimes but that's a bit high. Zalman coolers are good. Quiet too (or so I have read).

That poor PSU is probably sweating with all the work you have it doing. as for RAM, try different sticks in different slots. This is easier if you draw out a table to eliminate the 8 odd possible configurations (2 sticks, 4 slots?)

jsc: What is this breadboarding you speak of? Gradual component connection?

productx

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Yes I will reseat the CPU as soon as i change the PSU. What paste for the CPU do You recommend? Also, I saw that in BIOS there are some settings regarding the RAM freq's. They are set on automatic, but I was wondering if it would be better to change them manually to meet the specs from my RAM...could it be a solution?

TRENDING THREADS