Performance Increase When Running Radeon X200

jalexbrown

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Hello all,

I'm currently running an ATI Radeon X200 (see system rig), and I'm trying to find ways to increase my graphics performance. I can run Half-Life 2, but that's the only new game I can play. And please don't say buy a new card, because I'm 19, married, and live in an apartment, so getting a new graphics card isn't monetarily possible.

Any help is appreciated,

jalexbrown

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I've already tried setting my detail and resolution down. How can I overclock an intergrated X200? Also, is there perhaps a program that will let me *soft* overclock my X200? I've already tried ATITools (I think that's what it's called), and it didn't do anything that I noticed.

jalexbrown

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I have a PCIe slot, and I do eventually hope to save up enough to be able to buy a new graphics card, but for now that's totally not an option. I guess my best bet is probably to continue playing my Xbox 360 for a while longer, huh?

cleeve

Illustrious
According to ebay, PCIe Radeon X300 SE's routinely sell for under $10.00 USD.

PCIe Geforce 6200's usually go for under $20

Either of these cards will offer a hell of a lot better performance than your integrated card. And either of them can be overclocked to good effect.

If you're patient, I've seen PCIe 6600's go for as low as $20. That'd be your holy grail. Overclock one of those and you'll be in heaven, compared to your X200.

I agree.

We know you said you didn't want to buy a new card but:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ATI-Radeon-...ryZ40158QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/6600-GT-Nvidia-...ryZ40161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ati-Radeon-256M...ryZ80184QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jalexbrown

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Also, does anyone have any experience with ATITools.? fiddled around with it, but it never really seems to have any effect on my performance.

jalexbrown

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
To the poster who suggested that I get an X300,

Isn't the X200 just an integrated version of the X300? That's what I've always assumed, because every program reads my graphics card as an X300, but I know it's an X200. I also recall reading that the X200 is a direct integrated port of the X300. Anyone know if that's right or not?

cleeve

Illustrious
The X200 is an integrated version of the X300, but using shared memory slows it down alot. In addition, you no longer have to share system memory.
Also, the X300's I've seen overclock really well, while integrated can be difficult to overclock...
For $10, it's probably worth it.

But if you can afford to wait for a deal and snipe a 6600 off of ebay in the $20 range, you'll be far better off.

The second link in my post is only $35 which ain't bad at all.

My Dell has an X300 and I can attest to it's overclocking, I don't remember the numbers I got but they were pretty good. I have to laugh though at the concept of overclocking such a card. It makes a difference,yes, but it's just funny.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Go to Craigslist's Free Section.

Post that you are looking for any old "PCI-e" card anyone may be giving away. Somebody local to you will offer you one.

You can also hit "refresh" on FreeCycle and CraigsList free section.
People put alot of stuff on there. I'm sure you will find some system that somebody is giving away that has one.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Go to Craigslist's Free Section.

Post that you are looking for any old "PCI-e" card anyone may be giving away. Somebody local to you will offer you one.

You can also hit "refresh" on FreeCycle and CraigsList free section.
People put alot of stuff on there. I'm sure you will find some system that somebody is giving away that has one.