Sign in with
Your question

Burnt GPU, or just my imagination?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2007 11:20:13 AM

Hello.
I will make a long story short. A couple of days ago my PSU went haywire, and emitted a loud bang before going to its final rest.
I then looked into the computer and saw that the GPU fan was clogged with dust (probably because I clean my dust filter once a year), I don't think any air at all had come through there, which explained the fact that the GPU temp arose to about 90 degrees (celsius) sometimes.

Could this be related to the PSU failure in any way?
I checked the GPU for any other apparent hardware problems, and saw that a couple of wirings near the 12v-contact looked like they had been burnt. My spontaneous reaction was that the GPU heat maybe had burnt these, and that this caused some instability for the PSU. But I don't know. What I want to know is what you think about these wirings that I have taken a photo of, are they supposed to look like this or are they burnt?

http://bayimg.com/NAGDHaabP

Thankful for any help.

More about : burnt gpu imagination

September 15, 2007 10:58:18 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the card. Looks fine. the discoloration is caused when the soldering is done. If it was burnt you would smell it. Power supplies do just go sometimes. Something causes it, small surge on that line, age, capacitors have charged to many times. If it has traditional capacitors, it will go faster, they have less "charge hours" then a solid state. But in the picture the card looks fine. maybe cleaning it more often would be a good thing. A lot of the dust has to do with the environment. If you have it on the floor by a high traffic area you will need to clean it more. I clean most mine once a year, and they are fine. I have a couple that need to be cleaned once or twice a month. They are laptops that are used at the table, the fans just pick up more. Hope this helps.
September 15, 2007 11:11:02 PM

Hey, thanks for your reply. I didn't think anyone would answer.

I did smell some faint odour of something burnt when I had my nose about 1 cm from the yellowish patches, but I guess it isn't something important since the smell wasn't too strong.

I've had my power supply (Antec 450 w) for about 1 and a half year, so I was kind of surprised when it went.
One thing I've noticed though is that I get problems on various other electrial equipment in my apartment lately. Like a lamp going out and then it's impossible to switch it on without turning on the oven. :o 
I think the PSU collapsed because of an external inconsistency in the line, so I'm calling an electrician.

I rarely vacuum clean my floor, so that may be a reason that the computer had so much dust in it.

Anyways, thanks again for the info, now I can safely buy a new PSU without having to worry about it meeting the same destiny as the other. I'll wait until an electrician checks my lines though.
Related resources
September 16, 2007 2:29:45 PM

you can prob get surge protectors, it might be a worthwhile investment
September 19, 2007 5:03:00 AM

Well if it is a problem with the power to the building then you could probably get the power company to replace it. If you have only had the power supply a year I would check to see if there is still a warranty. If you want to protect your equipment a little bit better I would recommend you buy surge suppressors, they cost a little more, but the equalize the power. With a regular surge protector, a small surge can still pass through, on some equipment this will cause issues.
But if you are having issues with having lamps blowing bulbs, or having to have one thing on to have another work, you should get your wiring checked out. So calling the electrician is a good call. Depending on the age of the apartment, it may just be old wiring. I have a sister who found that all of the wiring from the kitchen, upstairs, and porch, had been run into one plug in the back of the place she is renting. She had some of the issues you are describing, her computer needed a new power supply every couple of months.
Make sure you get a good electrician, she had called out one that the landlord would pay for three or four times, and they found nothing wrong, until she plugged some Christmas lights into the plug that had all of the wiring into it.
I know I went on a little rant there, but hopefully you get all of this worked out.
a c 110 U Graphics card
September 19, 2007 5:33:10 AM

looks like left over soldering paste from when it was made in the factory.....
September 19, 2007 10:40:40 AM

F34R1355 said:
Well if it is a problem with the power to the building then you could probably get the power company to replace it. If you have only had the power supply a year I would check to see if there is still a warranty. If you want to protect your equipment a little bit better I would recommend you buy surge suppressors, they cost a little more, but the equalize the power. With a regular surge protector, a small surge can still pass through, on some equipment this will cause issues.
But if you are having issues with having lamps blowing bulbs, or having to have one thing on to have another work, you should get your wiring checked out. So calling the electrician is a good call. Depending on the age of the apartment, it may just be old wiring. I have a sister who found that all of the wiring from the kitchen, upstairs, and porch, had been run into one plug in the back of the place she is renting. She had some of the issues you are describing, her computer needed a new power supply every couple of months.
Make sure you get a good electrician, she had called out one that the landlord would pay for three or four times, and they found nothing wrong, until she plugged some Christmas lights into the plug that had all of the wiring into it.
I know I went on a little rant there, but hopefully you get all of this worked out.

No worries, rants can also be informative.
Unfortunately, I threw away the PSU.

The landlords rented electrician has been here and fixed a phase in the basement of the house, which apparently had made things in my apartment as they were. It solved the issue with having to put on the oven before being able to turn on the lights in the kitchen, but I dunno if it solved the power surges. When I told him that bulbs and a power supply had been blown, he just insisted that the problem was solved, "end of story".

I've asked friends who know a little more than me about electrical circuitry, and they highly doubt that this phase was the cause of the surges, even if repairing it solved the problem with electrical components stealing power from each other. So I guess I'll have to call a "real" electrician instead, even though this one claimed he had full education, I think he didn't care that much.

I've got a brand new PSU that arrived today, but I'm gonna wait until the wiring has been checked before I install it.

I should add that I don't know if "phase" is the correct word, maybe it should be "fuse" in the text above. Not native english-speaking... :-)
September 19, 2007 11:53:09 AM

It could be that the PSU overheated. If your graphics card fan was clogged with dust, so would your PSU fan be - and that may cause it to overheat and blow up.
a c 110 U Graphics card
September 19, 2007 7:08:10 PM

where do you live?

There is 3 phase power :)  maybe even more(i assume there is)

Here big ass equipment is 3 phase(in the mines)...it does not like when a phase takes a crap....

hell even your mobo has multi phase power....

Maybe a small ups would be a good option as well....if the power is too low it will go on battery and too high it will cut it down or even go batt then.....get one that logs such events to see its its happening...
September 19, 2007 7:47:06 PM

Rule #1
------------------------------------------------

!!!!!!ALWAYS PUT COMPUTERS ON A UPS!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------

/rant mode off

Given that I actually still had a PSU blow a couple years ago for no reason I could find. After replacing it I had lots of odd issues with various chipset functions and finally decided that it must have sent some surge currents through the MB when it died. After a couple repair attempts, I decided it was just the universe telling me it was time for a new full build.

Just watch out for sound glitches, random crashes, etc
September 20, 2007 7:20:50 AM

I highly doubt that the word you where looking for was phase, or perhaps you where misinformed. Most of the time the phase is controlled by the power company. I may be mistaken but homes are usually single, or double phase. Calling a real electrician out would be the best thing to do. A fuse should not cause the problem. A fuse would stop excess amperage from flowing through the line. If you had a fuse that was improperly replace then you may have had some of the issue resolved. Some people just run a wire from point to point, which does not put resistance in the line. The only thing that I can think of that the electrician could have done to effect the phase is to replace a wire. All that the phase is, is the frequency in the electrical waves. Three phase has three peaks, in the same distance single phase has one. Three phase would be for more precise components, like tools used in mining.

As far as the surges go, they can be caused by a number of things. One of the most common things is air conditioning. It draws a large amount of power to kick on.

It also sounds like you have some kind of weird wiring in your apartment. If replacing the fuse fixed the problem with the kitchen lights, that would meant that the lights where getting power from the ground on the stove. If the whole apartment is wired in redundancy like that, then it could have been another component drawing large power that caused the issue.

I highly doubt that this is the end of the problem. I could be mistaken.
September 20, 2007 7:25:03 AM

I meant to add to what Doid2 said. Most of the time there is nothing wrong with the computer after the power supply goes out. Although there is the rare case that the motherboard is damaged, and even more rare where the motherboard cased the damage in the first place. If it was an Antec power supply you are probably going to be fine. It is usually the cheaper power supplies that don't have any kind of load protection that cause damage, or are damaged by the motherboard, or other components.
!