Can someone critque this gaming system?

Urien

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I have decided to build a new computer. Basically, I want something that can handle the new games that have arrived, like Bioshock, but can be upgraded later when the time comes. I am willing to spend a little over a thousand dollars. Sorry if I put too much description with the products below, I just want to make sure I got all the info in here. Here is what I have picked out so far:

MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)
LIAN LI PC-65 USB B2 Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
PNY VCG88GTS32XPB GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
Rosewill RP500-2 ATX12V v2.01 500W Power Supply

I know I'm missing a sound card, but I'll probably deal with that later. I'm not sure if I am missing anything else, it seems pretty solid. This is for gaming only. I have other computers for browsing the internet, office work, ripping DVDs, etc. I have used Lian Li cases before and they are always excellent in the cooling department. All this stuff came out to 1,200 on Newegg. Just wondering if I am spending too much or not getting the best stuff for my money. Thanks for any help.

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Depends on what is the price of your,s raptor you could consider 2 X 160gig sata in raid. The difference will be little. Raptor is good if you go raid. WIth just one got what I said you will doubble you're disk space for low cost. for the rest everything looks fond to me ... Just one last thing :did the MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 do raid ?

How about this:

GA-P35-DS3R
Patriot DDR2-800
WD5000AAKS 500 GB instead of the Raptor
Corsair 520HX PSU - don't get the Rosewill

The PSU part is important, the others not so much.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Hmm... your system looks pretty good overall, and I also use Lian-Li cases, very pleased with the quality.

Just as a suggestion, I'm not going to tell you to RAID the raptor as that is a very fast drive on its own but I would recommend getting a larger drive for just stuff like general storage. I wouldn't worry too much about a sound card. I personally am waiting for that new Auzentech Prelude. Hmm...

Just as a precaution, and to save you a little trouble in the future I'd get a new PSU to cope with a more powerful GPU and that soundcard in the future. I'd highly recommend that PC P&C Silencer 750.

Now just as a suggestion, I know it's kind of useless now, but in the future it will be of big help. Why not look at a decent quad-core CPU? Games like Crysis will be using 4 cores so why not?

Other than that it looks pretty cool. If you need anything else just let us know. Good luck and happy building!

Urien

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
People keep recommending 500 GB harddrives even though I will not be putting anything on this PC but games, which probably will never go over 40 gigs worth. I also don't want multiple hard drives in here increasing noise and heat. I want just one super fast drive that isn't too noisy and I hear the Raptor 150 fits that bill perfectly.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Fair enough, I knew you were going to be using this for gaming, but I figured you might be putting other stuff on there (guess that's where having those other computers comes in doesn't it?). Anyways, Yeah, then just stick with the raptor, it's a fast drive, expensive, but fast.