RAID-0 Hardware, RAID-1 Software and MirrorFolder

PcklTckle

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
I'm considering a RAID-0 utilizing ICH9R for OS & Data. Then, adding a large single disk for back-up via the program MirrorFolder. MirrorFolder can be configured as software RAID-1, or as real-time or scheduled file sync. Anyone have an thoughts about weather a software RAID-1 would negate the performance of the hardware RAID-0?

I know about RAID 1+0, but I want to keep my mirror or back-up on a single drive in case I need to transfer the data to another system. For example, if the motherboard fails and an exact replacement is not available, a single drive will be more compatiable with a new board than a raid array.

I know windows supports software raid, but I like the feature set of MirrorFolder. For example, if its RAID-1 does create a significant performance hit, than I should be able to fall back to file syncs.

loosscru

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I am no expert on raid, but if i understand you corectly the first two drives would be in raid 0 and the third drive would make a back up. In that case your write times would be limited by the slowest component because it has to write on the raid 0 and also write on the third drive. Bassicaly you are write speed would negate the performance of the raid-0.

Read speeds shouldn't be hurt because the third drive would not be asked to do anything.

My guess, but I could be wrong (pretty sure I am correct on the write part, the read part is just a guess)