Getting the 8800 Ultra, is it worth it?

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
But you can also OC a ultra MUCH further then a GTX can, so your point isnt really valid.

Iv always siad Id rather have an ukltra, why? Better memory modules, better cooler, and for taht much money, id rather have the BEST then get the same as the rest.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Both units have the same core. Whether or not the cooler is better on the Ultra than the GTX is a case-by-case and manufacturer-to-manufacturer basis. So technically, unless the Ultra contain hand-picked G80 cores, you should be able to clock the GTX equally with all other things being identical.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

But then again you could get a GTX and an HR-03 that would blow the Ultra stock cooler out of the water too... (And for less money!)

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004

And void every single warrenty he has at the same time.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!

To the OP: I'd get a 24" monitor and a 8800 GTX, but that's about it. No need to spend the whole 7.5K on the PC just because you have it. Reduce your mortgage a bit instead, or think about buying a home if you're renting. If you have any debt on credit cards pay that first. Etc etc, plenty of books on personal finance out there.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Depends what manufacturer. Unless eVGA recently changed their policy, the only way they won't honor a warranty is if the card is physically damaged (something broken off the card, card is steped on and broke in half, etc). Not to mention the obvious thing being that there is NO WAY for a company to know you were using an aftermarket cooler if you put the stock hsf back on if you have to send it to them. eVGA will even take a returned card with an aftermarket hsf, but you won't get the hsf back and it's like a $10 charge.

raptorxt

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
get a 8800gtx
spending another $100 for 3 frames more with the ultra doesn't make any sense to me.

@ plguzman
there is no legit news of the 9x series being out by the end of the year
but if you do find news about it please inform me

If the nvidia site doesn't even mention the 9x then i don't see any reason to believe the rumors

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Well, ok then, not the end of the year, but with the 8800 GTX he could wait until the 9 series is out. It may not be in 3 months but it will be close enough to hold with a 8800 GTX perfectly.