Sign in with
Your question

P5N32-E SLI PLUS Bios update to 0805 now won't POST

Last response: in Motherboards
September 15, 2007 8:53:05 AM

Have been having a lot of problems with this mobo since I recieved it, namely it is not stable with more than 1x1GB stick of memory in it (either "OCZ PC2 6400 Platinum 4-4-4-15" or el cheapo "OcUK PC2-8500C5 1066MHz"), am on the verge of returning it as faulty.
Updated to the new 0805 bios today as it mentions improved RAM compatability and updated OCing support for 1333 FSB CPUs. Reboot as normal after an apartently good update and now it constantly power cycles before the bios display appears - if there is any memory fitted, in any slot. Remove the memory and it doesn't boot but does stop power cycling. Both the above memory need 2.1V but if I can't get to the bios to change the voltage from the default 1.8v. Surely it would still boot to the bios on defaults though....?
I'm off to buy the cheapest bit of PC2, low voltage requirement memory I can find to see if it will at least get me to the bios (also need to find a PC Speaker as this case doesn't have one).
Anyone have any other sugestions?
September 15, 2007 11:56:23 AM

Sounds like RMA. Have you done a BIOS reset?
September 15, 2007 1:33:56 PM

OCZ memory is crap. We stop selling it because there were to many incompatibillity problems. We have never had a problem with this asus motherboard. The memory was probably your main problem. By the way, if you want stability, stick with 1.8v / 1.9v memory. The couple of fps you get on overclocked memory aren't worth the trouble or the money.

After you try a standard stick of memory and it still doesn't post, try pushing the ctrl and home keys on your keyboard when turning on your pc. It should boot to your floppy drive by default and it will look for a bios file by default. It looks for the bios file to be a certain name, so you will have to rename the bios file. Once you do that, it will flash the bios. You would probably want to use a earlier version bios file. This works with Ami bios.
September 16, 2007 7:29:49 AM

Yeah have used the jumper to clear the bios.
heh, no floppy on this machine, will try to find one. Think the bootflash routine would look at usb mem sticks too? Will give it a try, cheers!
!