Temp monitor not working (X1950)

therschbach

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Hi all, I just installed Cat pack 7.9 and I'm having problems with my games C2D'ing after about 5-10 minutes of play (Oblivion and IL-2 so far). Once this happens and I try to reload the game, I rarely make it past the splash screen. The same happened on my previous drivers which I got off the giga-byte website.

It seems to be a graphics card temp issue. I just did a ram check to make sure I didn't have a problem there. Just got a new power supply because my old one had a problem. So I installed Catalyst suite to see what my card temp was and when I hover my mouse over the system tray icon, it says 0 degrees. I don't see any info anywhere else about temperature monitoring within the program itself. What's up with that?

I checked to make sure all fans were spinning (realized I had my case fan on the wrong power line and it was way too slow but that didn't fix the problem). My mobo and cpu temps are 44 and 50 respectively so they seem to be what they usually are. Any help with either problem would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Whoa, my screen just went black for a second.... no programs running except for IE and aim.

System:
ASUS P5B-E mobo
Core 2 Duo +6400
2 1gb Crucial
Gigabyte X1950 256mb
Antec TruePower Trio 430W PS

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Is the card OC'ed? If it is you may want to try backing down on the OC. You may be experiencing driver failure due to an overly agressive OC.

Cheers

therschbach

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
No overclocking on anything, ever.

I installed ATT but the temperature monitoring is grayed out, along with ENV temp and Fan Duty. Is it possible that this card doesn't have a temperature sensor?

I also forgot to mention that this system worked fine until my last PSU had a problem and wouldn't power the ethernet card so I had to get a new PSU. The old one was an Antec smartpower 2.0 450W. The new one is the Antec Truepower trio 430W. I don't have the old supply and couldnt' find info on the amperage online, but this one has a max of 16A on the 12V....is that enough?

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
From what i've read, the x1950 pro has a recomendtion of 30 AMPs on the 12 volt rail. Does the PSU only have one 12V Rail? Because if so, then that may be a big problem. If not you have to look at the combined amperage on all the 12V rails (NOTE: It is NOT additive, if you have two 12V rails with 16 per, that does not mean 32 AMPS). Consult the specs for the total amps across the 12V rails.

Cheers

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That PS sounds a little tight. Here is a good alternative and it is relatively cheap and it has a single rail.
Silencer® 610 EPS12V Power Supply

Edit: ATI Tool didn't display temps for my X1950 and it did for my X850. I gave you the link for RivaTuner and I know it works. Why don't you just download it and use it? You don't trust me?

therschbach

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Sorry Zorg, I just tried Riva and that didn't work either. It just gives me a blank graph for the GPU temp.

This PSU has 3 12V rails all at 16Amps. I can't find any info in the manual about the amperage across all the rails. All I have is the max and min on each.

I turned off 2x antialiasing and I can play longer without it crashing if that helps any. I just played for about an hour before crash. The crashes happen the most when I pull up a map or go to an inventory menu. Don't know if that helps any....

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Damn, as I said it works with my HIS X1950 Pro. I've got to figure that for whatever reason Gigabyte is not reporting temps. That is irritating. You might try opening the case and pointing a fan at the card, that is of course if you have one handy. I still think that PS might be too weak to give the card enough amperage.

therschbach

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

I think you're probably right. As much as I hate to do it, I'm going to probably go pick up another, better rated, PSU to see if anything changes. I wish the new one I just got to replace my old one would have been as sufficient as my old one seeing as it was supposed to be a better PSU.....go figure. I guess that's how it goes. I'll keep the thread updated.

therschbach

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
New PSU (Antec Trio 650W)....same problem.

Now I'm thinking it's a software problem. I had set my pagefile manually but didn't set it to 0 and defrag before locking it in. I tried that and at the moment everything seems to be working ok although I haven't quite played long enough to say the problem is definitely solved yet....

therschbach

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Or maybe not. It's still crashing to desktop or just rebooting while in game, even after a reformat and install of XP. Last night I pointed a big fan at my case and that helped alot but eventually it still crashed. It's a heat issue for sure, but it's strange that it's just now doing it though I've never had a problem before and the only components that have changed are an identical replacement mobo and the PSU, of which I've tried 2 so it can't be that.

Guess I'll try to reset the cpu and heatsink even though the temps seem ok after a crash (53 cpu, 40 mobo). I really wish this vid card had a temp sensor.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
53 load or idle? You already have RivaTuner, so download the Rivatuner Core 2 Duo Temperature Monitor Plugin. You may need these step by step instructions Temperature CPU in OSD - Guru3D.com Forums. After it is installed and activated you can click on the floppy disk ICON below the graphs and log the temps of the CPU while gaming. Before you do any gaming you should download and run Prime95 25.4 and click on torture test on the opening screen. Run the small FFTs first so that only the CPU will get stressed. You can run this and watch the temps to see if you are running too hot before you remove the HS for no reason.

Edit: Which reminds me, did you click setup under the graphs and make sure there was a check mark next to core temp? It should come up by default, it's just hard to believe Gigabyte would not have any temp monitoring.

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I think you should wipe those new drivers and try another set, like the Omega drivers. I've had issues with the Catalyst where temps would not be available and other minor weird problems. None of this with the Omega.

therschbach

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Well, I thought I had it licked. I attempted to remove the HS from teh video card but even with the two screws removed, it seemed attached to the chip but I didn't see any other connections....almost like it's glued. I pulled pretty hard too but I gave up as I didn't want to damage it.

I also reseated the CPU and HS after applying new thermal compound. I thought that did it because I played Oblivion for about 2 hours with no crashing. However, IL-2 is still crashing the same way it did so I'm back to square one. I can keep it from crashing by pointing my HUGE fan at the opened case. Without the fan, it crashes IL-2 in 15 - 20 minutes and I imagine Oblivion would eventually crash but I only played it once since the re-seat.

So, I know something is overheating but not sure what. The only thing I can think of is the new replacement board I got back from ASUS has an updated BIOS and maybe some settings default differently?

Blade, I tried Riva, ATT, and CCC. No temp or fan control for the gpu in any of those.

Zorg, those temps are from BIOS so I guess that would be idle because it takes about a minute to go from CTD, restart, then BIOS and Hardware monitor so that's probably enough time to cool down back to idle, right? I'll reinstall RIVA and get Prime as you suggested and post results from there.

Thanks for your help guys, I'd be tempted to waste some serious money trying new components without it.

therschbach

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Ok, the Prime torture test: Max was 54 but it held at 53. Idle is 40. While gaming, it held at around 47 and maxed at 50 right before I CTD'd. Certainly not hot temps, right?

Any other ideas?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Those load CPU temps are not the cause. To be sure you're looking at the right temps they should be core 0 and core 1. If it doesn't crash with the fan at all, then my guess would be an overheating video card. I just downloaded the latest version of ATITool and it gave me the temps. The reason that I though of it was because you can easily underclock your card with it, and see if it doesn't crash. A bonus would be if it gave you the temps. Here is a link and a screen shot of my card. It really is a nice little app. It just dawned on me that the "scan for artifacts" button will display a cube that will stress the card.

ATITool - Overclocking utility for ATI and NVIDIA cards

6d1qlbm.jpg

therschbach

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Thanks Zorg. I tried ATT as well but still no temp or fan speed. Btw, did you look at the download page for that? It said all cards are compatible with the program except for the x 1950 pro. "Did I pick the wrong card or what?"

Having the fan on has prevented crashes except for once but even then I was playing for at least an hour before the crash. The thing I don't get is the only thing on my system that has changed hardware-wise is my power supply which has dramatically improved. You'd think my card would be running cooler....

But let's safely assume my card is overheating. What can I do? I've strongly considered just getting a new card, but I've had this one less than a year and feel like I haven't gotten my money's worth. I tried removing the heatsink but it wouldn't come off. And I don't want to have to play games with my fan blowing into my case like it's some kind of freakshow. Grrr.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

It might be that card. i have a sapphire 1950 pro and i can read temps on all the applications + control fan speeds.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I have an HIS x1950 pro, as I said, and it is in the screen shot. If you can play with the fan and have no crashes then it points to an overheating card. That doesn't mean that it is overheating beyond the normal spec, it just means that the card is getting too hot for it to handle now. Maybe the card is getting tired. You could try underclocking it with ATITune but that would be for testing purposes. It appears that you have already shown the cause. I don't know that I would be buying a new HS for a card that was in the process of failing. The only way you can be sure the card is failing at a temp that is within spec is to try to manually take the temp at the HS which is inaccurate but the best you can do. You'll have to add some slop the the temp reading to hopefully approximate the GPU temp.

therschbach

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Blade, I read that a few of the 1950's just don't have temp diodes or they are not enabled. I never saw a specific brand or model mentioned, but mine is most definitely one of these.

Zorg, good call on not buying a HS for a possible failing card. Do you think Gigabyte would RMA it? I've had it less than a year but I imagine they go by the manufacture date which I don't know at the moment. Guess I could shoot them an email.