I need help with SATAII HDD setup

ca9sbr

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
i have just tried to install a western digital sataII HDD (WD5000AAKS) onto my asrock conroe1333 based system which has an IDE drive (master jumper settings) already installed with the OS (vista) installed.

The HDD is recognised in BIOS and is listed in the Device Manager properties of Windows, but is not visible on the system as an available HDD.

Any ideas what i need to do to get this up and running?

xanoth

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I've got the same hard drive and have had a lot of trouble getting it bootable (it's still not)

It's a recent order so i'm looking into returning it, i've tried on two different computers and with 3 different versions of windows. they all format, install basic windows files, reboot starts and then it gets the same error every time trying to boot.

I'm currently running a BurnInTest on it at the moment but it's on its second cycle and there are no errors detected.

Annoying thing is my GF bought the same hard drive and our PC spec is the same (asus M2N-SLI Deluc, Athlon X2 64 4600+ etc) yet her hard drive is bootable, yet mine is not. I even tried to format it it using her PC with no luck.

No test i've tried has found a fault with the hard drive, but I can't get it to work.

capaill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I'm sure this isn't your problem, but I was a noob to installing vista and it took me ages to figure out how to partition/format the drives. When it shows the list of drives and you have to pick one to put Vista on, you first need to press New Drive (or something like that) down the bottom. Then you can choose the drive, create the partition and format it, and load Vista on.

Go into control panel>administrative tools>computer management>storage>disk management

then select your new drive which will probably say 'unallocated space' (unless you already partitioned and formatted it) and right click on it. Choose to partition it and then to format it. You may or may not then need to reboot the PC and your drive will now show up and be useable.