Very Strange Psu grounding issue!Please help!

nfsmw_gr

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
First post here,yay! :)

Hi guys!
I have a strange issue!
I build a new system from scratch
Specs:
i7 2700k@4.5ghz
8gb 1866mhz vengeance
asus p8z68-v
1tb seagate 7200.12
and a
corsair 650TX v2

Sooo...
The issue is that my usb ports and everything that is a metallic i/o port shocks me!
I thought i had assembled it poorly so i reassembled the system again!
The problem was still there though!
After that i unistalled the psu from the system and plugged in alone...i tested it and the psu shocks me! (not static,it's continious)
I send it for an rma but they told me that the psu had passed every check and is ok!
That is just not possible because my old pc wouldn't shock me in the exact same outlet!
I checked everything and its really furstrating! :(
Can anyone help me please??

rsmith13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Your power receptacle might be wired up wrong. Missing (open) ground or wires crossed: (Hot wired up to what should be neutral and neutral wired up to what should be hot.)

nfsmw_gr

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Thank you all for ther replies!
Soo...
The standoffs are placed correctly yes!
I have changed socket with no effect...
I have tested my psu plugged in only by itself on the outlet and it shocks me!
The last post is the one i dont understand?
What do you mean my friend?
The cable which connects the psu to the outlet?

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
He means the plug socket, there are 2 or 3 lines depending on where you live , 3 pin plugs have a live (has power running through it all the time unless the power goes out), neutral (has power running through it when a circuit is complete so that power returns to the power station) and ground (for faults and excess or waste electric, acts as a safety feature when there is a fault.

2 pin plugs have hot/live and neutral only (from what i remember), he is saying that hot and neutral might of been switched causing the PSU to ground if that makes sense.

Spelli

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Still looks like a faulty PSU to me. Did you tell the RMA people exactly what you thought was wrong with it? Computer technicians who work on components that may have issues usually work with anti-static gloves on. They also may not have checked the chassis of the PSU.

nfsmw_gr

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

Aaah.. i see!
I have a 3 pin plug so i have grounding(checked with a multimeter,works fine! :) )
By the way i live in Greece,we all atleast one 3 pin plug here! ^^

nfsmw_gr

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

Yes,full description was inside the box and the told me my psu passed all their tests and it is ok!
Extremely weird...:S
still think this thing is broken too! :p

nfsmw_gr

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

Yes i did mate!
They told me it's fine after they checked it!

nfsmw_gr

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

I don't think it's my pc because i plugged my psu alone and tested it with a multimeter and there was current flowing in the casing...that's bad...:(
Well i'll be getting it back in two days and then i'll be able to tell you what's on it's labels!Sorry....:/

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Its alright.
But try this if you have spare time, disconnect everything from the PSU including power cable, try to remember which plug contact goes to which contact on the PSU and see if there is continuity between the contact and the case.

nfsmw_gr

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

Hmm...nice tip!
I'll try it my friend and post back once i get it back!
Thank you very much for all those answers,you really are great! :)

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

The function you're thinking of is called a continuity test :), also measuring resistance would give you a more clear picture (Do this measurement with the PSU removed from the computer and not connected to anything). From the description, my guess is that there is either a funky wiring problem in your home, or a high-resistance 'short' that their tests don't pick up.

You can start by checking the resistance between the Case and your + and - electrical inputs on the PSU, you should see a very high ohm value (in the meg-ohm range I would think, or open, definately more than 100kOhm though).

If you see a good resistance value, you should try plugging it in and checking the voltage level of the PSU case vs ground(though do be careful about testing it with your body, use the multimeter to be safe) you should see some voltage level, then do the same test outside your home (to eliminate your wiring).

If it does it outside your house, make sure you tell them that the product is not safe, get a picture of your multimeter reading showing the charged PSU case, and include that in the box; they would be very foolish to argue at the point when you bring a potential safety situation, considering the potential for legal action if you got hurt.
If the voltage you see on the PSU case is 12V or less, an additional picture of the same multimeter test being performed in the same computer, with your old PSU would seal the deal for sure (ruling out the case/mobo/etc as potentially shorting to the chassis), though if the voltage is over 13V this is kinda unnecessary since internally the PSU is the only component that should see a voltage over 12V.

The may be testing using 120V-60hz as we use in the US, not sure how it would effect the circuitry, but I could see that masking your issue when they tested it themselves. It's understandable for them to send it back if it passes their tests, because there could be a short in other parts of the system, you'll just have to prove it is their product that is failing.

TRENDING THREADS