from HLN4365 to HLP4663...

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 3, 2005 10:07:25 PM

Hi guys,

Last week I initiated a thread about my new HLN Samsung set which had
the audio/video sync issues, which turned out to be a shortcoming of
the HLN series. As many suggested, this has been "corrected" in the
HLP series, so I elected to take advantage of BestBuy's 30-day return
policy and upgrade.

The HLP4663 is truly a beautiful set, the improved color wheel is very
apparent, particularly in dark scenes, in addition to many other
improvements - but that's another thread. ;-)

As for the sound sync, as others have indicated, it is now (virtually)
perfect - when using the *internal* speakers. External output is
still a problem unless you have a high end receiver with a delay
feature.

>From various discussion threads, I have boiled down the root cause of
the sync issue to the simple conclusion that interlaced feeds tend to
lag because the processor has more work to do to build the image.
Apparently progressive scan DVD players and High Def STBs provide
better (non-interlaced) signals leaving less work for the TV to do,
therefore minimal lag. (Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong
here). Unfortunately, my home theatre DVD player is 3 years old (when
PS was not standard) and my STB is standard def, which I believe is
outputting 480i. :(

Of course, if I enable my home theatre output (optical from DVD) at the
same time as the TV output, I get a nice stadium echo. :p  What really
gets me though, is that even if I use the audio output *from the TV* to
pipe it into my home theatre, even *that* echoes. Shouldn't the output
from the TV already be delayed and therefore in sync with the video??
Bizarre. Unfortunately my receiver does not have a delay feature.

On a site note, one thing I have noticed that is very peculiar is that
the clock does not set on my TV. It is set to 21:10pm (?) and the time
does not advance. If I try to change it, it simply flips back to 21:10
again. Has anyone else seen this?

In any case, I will put a call in to Samsung about the clock issue and
I will ask them about the TV output as well...

Has anyone else seen these issues? Many thanks in advance!

(Sorry for the long post!)

- Kevin

More about : hln4365 hlp4663

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:51:20 PM

why one should compromise with lip sync issue with samsung sets when
Panasonic and other manufactures don't have this issue at all.
these sets are not cheap they should at least meet the basic
requirement of tv viewing, other aspects of tv could be subjective,
there should not be any lip sync issue with dvd player, SD or HD DVR

usually people will connect surround system with big screen tv and lip
sync issue will be more appearant.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:14:06 PM

Hi all,

Update to my DLP saga...

I purchased the Samsung 4365W on clearance but couldn't deal with the
sound sync issues. Upgraded to the HLP4663 - on which I was told this
issue was "corrected" - but still not satisfactory. It seemed "ok"
sometimes using the internal speakers, but after a week or so I started
having the same sync issues - even on the *internal* speakers, let
alone my receiver. Add to that a faulty clock (see attached email),
and I'd had it with Samsung.

I have now exchanged it for the Toshiba (LG) 44NHM84. Very sweet set!
Using Monster Component cables, I am pleased to say that my DVD
audio/video sync is perfect, both with the internal speakers (RCA
wires) and the receiver (optical)! :)

However, there it still appears to be video lag with my standard def
television signal. Using either analog (coax) input or my Rogers
terminal (over S-video + RCA audio wires) there is still some sync
problem with the sound on every channel.

Is this perhaps related to my cables, or just simply a standard def
"limitation"? On the flipside, will this take care of itself when I
eventually get my HD-PVR over DVI? I don't see *any* reports of audio
issues with this set, so I am wondering if there could be something
wrong....?

Any opinions welcome...

Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin Sargent wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Last week I initiated a thread about my new HLN Samsung set which had
> the audio/video sync issues, which turned out to be a shortcoming of
> the HLN series. As many suggested, this has been "corrected" in the
> HLP series, so I elected to take advantage of BestBuy's 30-day return
> policy and upgrade.
>
> The HLP4663 is truly a beautiful set, the improved color wheel is
very
> apparent, particularly in dark scenes, in addition to many other
> improvements - but that's another thread. ;-)
>
> As for the sound sync, as others have indicated, it is now
(virtually)
> perfect - when using the *internal* speakers. External output is
> still a problem unless you have a high end receiver with a delay
> feature.
>
> >From various discussion threads, I have boiled down the root cause
of
> the sync issue to the simple conclusion that interlaced feeds tend to
> lag because the processor has more work to do to build the image.
> Apparently progressive scan DVD players and High Def STBs provide
> better (non-interlaced) signals leaving less work for the TV to do,
> therefore minimal lag. (Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm
wrong
> here). Unfortunately, my home theatre DVD player is 3 years old
(when
> PS was not standard) and my STB is standard def, which I believe is
> outputting 480i. :(
>
> Of course, if I enable my home theatre output (optical from DVD) at
the
> same time as the TV output, I get a nice stadium echo. :p  What
really
> gets me though, is that even if I use the audio output *from the TV*
> pipe it into my home theatre, even *that* echoes. Shouldn't the
output
> from the TV already be delayed and therefore in sync with the video??
> Bizarre. Unfortunately my receiver does not have a delay feature.
>
> On a site note, one thing I have noticed that is very peculiar is
that
> the clock does not set on my TV. It is set to 21:10pm (?) and the
time
> does not advance. If I try to change it, it simply flips back to
21:10
> again. Has anyone else seen this?
>
> In any case, I will put a call in to Samsung about the clock issue
and
> I will ask them about the TV output as well...
>
> Has anyone else seen these issues? Many thanks in advance!
>
> (Sorry for the long post!)
>
> - Kevin
April 27, 2005 11:52:48 PM

Who pissed in your corn flakes?!

I ask a legitimate question - in addition to providing details of my
configuration - and you jump all over me. If that makes you feel all
big and mighty, then good for you.

Any other *meaningful* replies are welcome...

Kevin
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:55:01 PM

Thanks for the reply.

As I described, it appears worse with lower quality signals, so I was
just trying to get a feel for whether it is still prevalent for HD
signals, as that is what I would like to get eventually... naturally.
;-)

Thanks.

Kevin.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:18:36 AM

Kevin Sargent wrote:

> Is this perhaps related to my cables

You'll likely find some degree of sync problems with pretty much any
configuration. Some people are more bothered by it than others. I can't
tell you how to fix it, but I can assure you that it isn't a cabling issue.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:26:25 AM

What are you, a jerk? What kind of response is that you fed back???
You asked if you understood- didnt you? I told you where you were
confused. I believe you may do better to stop eating your semen than I
would do to stop "pissing in .. corn flakes".

What a jerk. If you dont want to know the answer dont ask the
question.

My response was an explanation of how others misunderstood AM stereo.

Have your wife reattach your testicles, please.

On 27 Apr 2005 19:52:48 -0700, "Kevin Sargent"
<kevin_sargent@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Who pissed in your corn flakes?!
>
>I ask a legitimate question - in addition to providing details of my
>configuration - and you jump all over me. If that makes you feel all
>big and mighty, then good for you.
>
>Any other *meaningful* replies are welcome...
>
>Kevin
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:19:40 PM

Me...? The jerk? Sure.

I simply answered a very rude reply with a similar one, although
frankly it didn't even deserve that much.

BTW, there was no 'explanation' given (about "AM radio"??); simply an
unwarranted flame. Which isn't really surprising since *anonymous*
posters never have anything of value to contribute to a conversation.

Anyway, I've wasted enough time on you already. So goodbye.

Kevin
!