Two Vista computers, one can see both on the network, the other can't

mx597turbo

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2005
I have two computers, one with Home Premium and one with Ultimate. I have a Westell DSL wireless router. The home premium computer is connected to the router by ethernet cable. The ultimate computer is wireless.

Both computers are set to private network. Both have all drives shared with full control granted to everyone. Both have these settings turned on: Network discovery, File Sharing, and Public Folder Sharing. These are turned off: Password protected sharing and Media sharing. Both are on the MSHOME workgroup.

The home premium (wired) can see both computers on the network and can send and receive files only from the Public folder on the Ultimate computer. The ultimate (wireless) computer can't see the home premium computer at all.

How can I get both computers to see one another and to allow full control of all drives and folders from either computer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

tkuhl87

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Make sure you have a password set for the administrator user on each computer. I've had issues accessing computers without one before. Other than that, make sure that you're actually on the right wireless signal and not a neighbor's. (seems obvious I know, but sometimes windows likes to switch to a neighbors if it has a better signal) That being said, make sure your wireless is set to default.

I'm curious to also try hooking up your ultimate pc to the router directly to see if it works then...that could show if the problem is the wireless issue. If it is a wireless issue, just go buy a $50 Linksys WRT54G wireless router and be done with it.

If you can't figure it out, here's a temporary solution:
Download Hamachi here...
https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en

It creates a virtual LAN between 2 computers so you can share files etc. It's not a permanent solution, but could help until you get it sorted out