Question for you Q6600 owners out there.

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
For those of you who are Q6600 owners AND movie encoders, I was hoping someone might give me an idea of some of your encoding times. I recently upgraded from an A64 3200 to a E6300 OC'd to 2.8. The difference was friggin' amazing to say the least for my encode times. On my old M2500+ a full length (estimated 90 minute movie time) was around 6 hours, A64 3200+ was around 3-4 hours, and now my new C2D is around 32-49 minutes. I am just astounded at the decrease in encode times.

I was just curious to see what ya'lls times were, havin those two extra cores. I'm trying to get an idea whether pickin up a Q6600 was worth it right now. Lets use a 90 minute movie running at 29.9 FPS. Could anyone give me an estimated total encode time for a movie such as this?

Thanks guys. :)

EDIT: (If it matters, I use pretty much default settings. Encode set to quality, Standard motion search, but audio is switched to Dolby Digital.)

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
You never said what program you use.

Anymore, I use WMM to edit my .wmv files captured at 1400kb/s. For a thirty minute sitcom, it takes my stock D 805 6 minutes to edit out the 10 minutes worth of commercials. The WMM/.wmv combo is the best I've come up with for high compression, fast editable video w/o sync issues. I just wish I could encode higher than 1400kb/s, but that's the highest selectable setting, and I haven't found a hack to enable higher settings yet. A quad core at 2.4 Ghz would bring my encoding times to 2 minutes.

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
Doh! Personally I use TMPG mainly for taking MPEG/AVI to MPEG 4 DVD. It's optimized for multi core CPU's in one of the menus, but it says nothing about more than 2 threads, so I was curious as to whether it did indeed use all four cores and by average how much of a difference this made in encoding times over my two cores.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Good question. From this link here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1027848

It appears Q6600 will help out in TMPG. Here's a benchmark using tmpg. Not mpeg-4 conversion though:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/642-5/intel-core-2-extreme-qx6700-quad-core.html

In the past I've found tmpg is be one of the slowest encoders around, and have since stopped using it. I prefer Nero's Recode myself, but then you're stuck in Nero Digital format. That's why I switched completely to .wmv, as it offers compression and quality similar to mpeg4, and with WMM I have a very fast encoder that is optimized for Netburst CPUs.

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
Hey thx for the info. On a side note though, I assume with your switch to .wmv format, you are using a HTPC for video playback? 90% of the time I do the same, but for the kids' TV I have to burn discs for use in their standalone player. When we purchase new movies for the kids I usually like to decrypt a copy for my HTPC and burn them a copy so I don't have to break out the paddle when the discs get damaged. And this might sound a little noobish, but you're using Windows Movie Maker to encode your .wmv's?