Formatting my laptops hard drive

canalesspeedy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I want to format my C drive. I am running Vista. I have the Vista CD and backup CD's of all my apps. How do I go about this? Do I boot from the vista CD? Do i boot holding the C key with the Vista CD in the drive. It's been awhile, help me please! SOS

canalesspeedy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Well I got ready to boot from the CD when I realized what I have is actually a Vista Upgrade CD. If I were to format the HD it would look for the base copy of Vista to upgrade to. I would have been up a creek without a paddle. I just Windows 7 Home Premium Full version on CD. If I am going to buy an operating system I might as well be more current.I have a strong suspicion that the Vista Upgrade would not give me the options to format but only to upgrade but I was not going to take any chances. Thank you so much for your input, it is much appreciated. Have a great day.

canalesspeedy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I got my Windows 7 disks, one is 32-bit and 1 is 64-bit. If I use the 64-bit my laptop will see all of my 4gb of ram but there might be a problem with loading programs if what I have are not 64-bit programs?

If you installed 32bit, that is about right, at most you will see a bit under 3.5 gig, minus whatever your video card reserves for its use if you have a shared memory video card. Win 7 64 bit will be able to run 32 bit applications, just not quite as fast as native 64 bit applications.

canalesspeedy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I got Windows 7 installed. It booted from the CD which I thought would give me opportunity to format the HD but it didn't, hmmmmm! I really wanted to initialize the HD to start clean. Don't know if I did anything wrong.

You need to delete the partition and then format it. When it gets to the step where it asks you which partition you want to use, select it and go to advanced options. In there you can delete the partition and create and format a new one. Note all of your old data will be gone once you do that.

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011

^Exactly.