one step away from done? first timer needs help

joe_doufu

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
Hi there, first time system builder here. I decided to build the exact system described in the System Builder Marathon (day 2 - mid-level) article (http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/09/system_builder_marathon/) and I'm either a few steps away from finished, or I've done something stupid and destroyed parts worth hundreds of dollars. Want to help me figure out which?

I actually used the case from the "day 1" article, because the "day 2" case was sold out, anyway it's a fine case. I installed the CPU, fan, and RAM to the motherboard before screwing the motherboard into the case. I did not use any kind of thermal glue between the CPU and heatsink because the fan/heatsink instructions didn't call for it, and there was some kind of gray substance on the heatsink anyway. Did I do the right thing there?

I think all the wires and plugs are hooked up correctly. When I finally got up the nerve to press the power button, the hard drive, CD drive, and front case fan spun up, but the rear case fan and CPU fan didn't. I realized those two were plugged into the motherboard while the drives and the front case fan were plugged more or less directly into the PSU. When I plugged all the fans directly into the PSU, they came on at startup. So... is something wrong with my motherboard, that it wouldn't power the fans? The power LED on the case is also plugged directly into the motherboard, and it works fine.

Now the disk drives and fans (also the graphics card's fan) power up when I press "power", but nothing appears on my monitor: no BIOS menu, memory check, or anything. Could this be a simple problem with connecting my monitor? The monitor has a VGA port and a sort of stylish new port I hadn't seen before; the graphics card has two of the stylish new port and no VGA, but it comes with adapters so you can plug a VGA into the newer port. That's what I've done currently - use a VGA cable from the monitor, with an adapter on the other end plugged into my graphics card. Still, when I start the machine, all the fans and drives are spinning but nothing comes up on screen.

Is there an obvious, simple mistake I've made?

List your system entire specs. including MB, CPU, RAM, video card, psu, etc. The link you posted is not working correctly. Be sure to plug in the 4/8 pin 12v auxillary lead from the psu to the MB to provide power to the processor. Also the 6 pin psu lead to the graphics card msut be plugged in.

joe_doufu

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007

Sure...
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX
Motherboard: MSI P965 Platinum
Memory: 2x 1GB PDP Patriot Extreme Performance PC2-6400 Low Latency
Graphics Card: EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5000YS
Power Supply: AeroCool Zerodba 620W
Optical Drive: Sony NEC Optiarc 7170 SATA

The graphics card is plugged into the PSU, but I don't remember a lead going specifically from PSU to CPU... I'll check that when I get home (unfortunately I have no other computers at home so I'm at my office asking for help!). Definitely the 24-plug power to the MB is plugged in.

There is a 4/8 pin 12v lead from the psu that supplies power to the cpu. The header will be near the CPU itself on the MB. You will definately need that auxillary 12v lead plugged in to power up. The coolermaster heatsink is one of those 4 push pin type that are sometimes hard to seat properly. Be sure you push all four pins in firmly amd seat the heatsink firmly.

joe_doufu

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007

In fact, I'm sure this is it. Bad news: I'm an idiot. Good news: My system isn't (necessarily) trashed (yet).

Your MB. Just above the copper heatsink that has 'platinum' wrotten on it in the center see the 8 pin header? The psu 4/8 pin has to be plugged in there to provide power to the cpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ption=MSI+P965+Platinum+ATX+Intel+Motherboard

joe_doufu

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007

Thanks! I found it, too. That was my mistake. I'm now the proud owner of a baby (monster) desktop computer! I love what they call "mid-range" these days... this thing is faster than the starship Enterprise, and cost less than my first computer ~1996 did. A few bugs to iron out, e.g. the front panel USBs aren't hooked up correctly, and the HD blinker doesn't blink, but it's running!

The 4-pin (molex header?) socket is for powering the video card, according to the manual, but my video card has its own power socket so I just plugged directly into there and so far it works (haven't tried any games yet!).