Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive Smart Failure

Last response: in Storage
January 15, 2008 12:32:46 PM

When I boot the computer (I have 3 hard drives) my Seagate 320GB SATA, data drive only, is detected by the bios and idicates "SMART test capable and status bad" and I have to press f1 for the computer to boot to windows. I ran the seatools in windows and I got the following results....
short dst......fail
long dst........fail
short generic.....pass
long generic.......pass

In dos mode I ran the test and...
short test......fail
long test........pass

When I first started the dos test it said the hard drive was to hot, I think it said above 70c, did I want to continue with the test? However it is mounted above my two WD drives and is directly behind an 120mm fan. It didn't even feel warm to the touch. Windows still detects the drive with the data on it. I downloaded and tried HDTUNE, a harddrive monitor software and it said drive temp was only 34c and in the health section it indicated "spin retry count......failed".

Has this drive failed?

More about : hard drive smart failure

January 15, 2008 1:09:27 PM

yeah, I'd say its breaking up allright. Better do a back up of the important data ASAP, and get prepared to buy a new drive.

There's not much that can be done to fix failing HDDs. (well there is, but its bloody expensive)
January 15, 2008 3:03:29 PM

Well that sucks! Have had the drive for only 6 weeks, used only for storage. Time to talk to Seagate customer support for a return and exchange. I was hesitant on Seagate but bought it due to the 5 year warranty. Have always bought WD in the past with no failures. A couple of my WD 40gb drives are over 5 yrs old and still working
Related resources
January 16, 2008 10:40:27 AM

maddogatc said:
Well that sucks! Have had the drive for only 6 weeks, used only for storage. Time to talk to Seagate customer support for a return and exchange. I was hesitant on Seagate but bought it due to the 5 year warranty. Have always bought WD in the past with no failures. A couple of my WD 40gb drives are over 5 yrs old and still working

Luck of the draw buddy. At least you have the warranty to fall back on. Seagate (or any manufacturer) wouldn't give a warranty like that if they thought they'd loose money. From my experience if something electrical works for three months it will last "forever" (or until UncleDave fixes it ;) ).
January 16, 2008 11:15:18 AM

Well, it sounds to me like there is nothing wrong with your hard drive itself, but there is something wrong with its ability to tell you there is something wrong. So I would get a replacement just to be safe.
January 16, 2008 8:16:37 PM

As long as the drive is not clicking/clanking your hard drive may still be good but you got data problems.

Disable SMART Monitoring then Backup your files. Format the drive twice 1st FAT32 and 2nd NTFS. May not be necessary but since it's a new hard drive I would recommend formatting the drive at least 3 times before using it. More like burn-in.
May 24, 2010 4:45:15 AM

I am facing the same problem, I have Samsung HDD, when I boot up my PC it detects my harddrive but it shows S.M.A.R.T. function failed. I tried connecting my harddrive to another pc to take copy of data it shows various partitions but while accessing those drives it says the drive is not formatted, do you want to formaat now?

What should I do to retrieve my data back?
!