Sign in with
Your question

New Dell9200, 8800GTX - 3DMARK06

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 15, 2007 7:44:19 PM

Hi

Got a new pc Dell9200, 8800GTX, Intel Quad 2.4, 4GB ram (3 seen by vista).

3dmark06 of 11,112

Q: Is this acceptable/ok/good??

I have noone else to ask - and im lonely, kidding, hehe:) 
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 15, 2007 7:52:25 PM

Hi i dont have the card myself but have seen benchmarks posted as low as 9000 and as high as 1300 so your somewhere in the middle.
Mactronix
September 15, 2007 8:11:27 PM

Yeah thats good. Overclock your processor to 3GHz and you should hit 12000 i'd think.
Related resources
September 15, 2007 8:35:07 PM

Yea that is a pretty good score. The reason Vista only sees 3 gig of your 4gig is because you are running a 32bit Version of Vista. If you want all of your memory to be recognized install a 64bit version of Vista.
September 15, 2007 8:40:43 PM

bish-ireland said:
Hi

3dmark06 of 11,112

Which driver for the 8800? If your using the Dell driver it's from 6/28/07.
September 15, 2007 8:46:41 PM

Why do people buy dell's?
September 15, 2007 9:12:36 PM

I bet he paid somewhere in the ball park of $6000 for that system. My $600 system gets 4000 on 3DMark06. That would make it 1/10 of the price, and only about 1/3 of the score.
September 15, 2007 9:29:58 PM

bish-ireland said:
Hi

3dmark06 of 11,112

They install 4GB of RAM but don't give you a 64-bit OS? It's also too bad 3DMark scores don't mean anything; also, you could have built a much better system for less. :??: 
September 15, 2007 9:59:13 PM

I'd drool with that kind of cash to build my own system. I'd tour each company, see the guys at Zalmann, sip champagne and smoke cigars (lit with 100$ bills of course) while I build it. Maybe rub elbows with Bill Gates, hobnob around town, probably have two hookers for the whole night helping me build it while drinking a case of Henessey... and still have a cheaper/better/faster system, and a huge hangover... Well, cheers kid, you only live once!

Seriously, next system just post to Tom's and you could have 2 systems for that price with better components and no crapware installed (although I heard they are cutting back on that with the XPS line).
September 15, 2007 10:08:38 PM

you should get at least 12,000 with a quad core.
Check drivers.
September 16, 2007 12:26:33 AM

Falken699 said:
...probably have two hookers for the whole night helping me build it while drinking a case of Henessey...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Now that is funny!!!!

It is like the ultimate geek dream!!! But I would maybe trade the Henessey for some vintage Port!!
September 16, 2007 12:49:17 AM

Hmm...Although 3dmark doesn't mean everything, a score of 10,000 compared to 5,000 still means that the 10,000 pc runs a lot better. My q6600 at 2.7GHz and 2gig of DDR2 ram and 8800GTS 320mb gets a score of 12,200. Your score of 11,112 is not a whole lot different than mine, however you have a 8800GTX so I'd say it's a tad bit low. I believe that the 3dmark06 score has an accuracy of +/- 1000 to 2000 so maybe you're all right.
September 16, 2007 2:36:16 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Hmm...Although 3dmark doesn't mean everything, a score of 10,000 compared to 5,000 still means that the 10,000 pc runs a lot better. My q6600 at 2.7GHz and 2gig of DDR2 ram and 8800GTS 320mb gets a score of 12,200. Your score of 11,112 is not a whole lot different than mine, however you have a 8800GTX so I'd say it's a tad bit low. I believe that the 3dmark06 score has an accuracy of +/- 1000 to 2000 so maybe you're all right.

I don't believe that. At the default res and settings there is no way that your system can get 12,200 in 3DMark06. My system (see sig) doesn't get 12k. My score hovers around 11,600-11,900. That's with an additional 2GB RAM and an Ultra. I can't see a moderate CPU overclock doing THAT much.

bish-ireland: Your scores are pretty good. I have seen a lot of GTX systems barely getting 10k with an overclocked dual core. Tweaking your RAM might add a little (usually neglibile). OC your CPU if you need to. Which GTX do you have? Quite a few come OC'ed from the factory. 3DMark isn't the end all for judging performance, it's not even a very good way to judge between different systems. However, it's pretty good if you are trying to find out if your OCing and tweaking have yielded any improvement on your OWN system.
September 16, 2007 3:03:06 AM

That is a great score.
September 16, 2007 4:16:55 AM

I'd drool with that kind of cash to build my own system. I'd tour each company, see the guys at Zalmann, sip champagne and smoke cigars (lit with 100$ bills of course) while I build it. Maybe rub elbows with Bill Gates, hobnob around town, probably have two hookers for the whole night helping me build it while drinking a case of Henessey... and still have a cheaper/better/faster system, and a huge hangover... Well, cheers kid, you only live once! said:
I'd drool with that kind of cash to build my own system. I'd tour each company, see the guys at Zalmann, sip champagne and smoke cigars (lit with 100$ bills of course) while I build it. Maybe rub elbows with Bill Gates, hobnob around town, probably have two hookers for the whole night helping me build it while drinking a case of Henessey... and still have a cheaper/better/faster system, and a huge hangover... Well, cheers kid, you only live once!

ROFL
September 16, 2007 4:29:45 AM

Falken699 said:

Seriously, next system just post to Tom's and you could have 2 systems for that price with better components and no crapware installed (although I heard they are cutting back on that with the XPS line).
Excellent post!
September 16, 2007 3:03:31 PM

Yes that would be great but why get only 2 hookers when you can get more.
September 16, 2007 3:27:04 PM

cristip60 said:
Yes that would be great but why get only 2 hookers when you can get more.

Because more than 4 hands on a single mobo it is just too much! :D 
September 16, 2007 3:27:07 PM

Seriously... who CARES about 3Dmark, it's irrelevant as far as performance is concerned. If you want to measure your system's performance install fraps and a game, then use it's benchmark tool to tell how well it performs.
September 16, 2007 6:16:11 PM

but that takes EFFORT, I mean, who'd want to do that :lol: 
September 16, 2007 10:06:19 PM

EternalAlpha said:
I don't believe that. At the default res and settings there is no way that your system can get 12,200 in 3DMark06. My system (see sig) doesn't get 12k. My score hovers around 11,600-11,900. That's with an additional 2GB RAM and an Ultra. I can't see a moderate CPU overclock doing THAT much.

No,no it's true. Well, almost. Here's a pic of it:

I think your score is a bit low...But hey, 3dmark doesn't really mean everything. But it does mean something if it is more than 5000points apart.
September 16, 2007 10:16:25 PM

Evilonigiri said:
I think your score is a bit low...But hey, 3dmark doesn't really mean everything. But it does mean something if it is more than 5000points apart.

Well two things to keep in mind:
1) You have XP and he has Vista.
2) He bought a Dell and as a result will have a ton of bloatware clogging his system. Unless he remove it, his performance will suffer.
September 16, 2007 10:19:14 PM

EternalAlpha said:

bish-ireland: Your scores are pretty good. I have seen a lot of GTX systems barely getting 10k with an overclocked dual core. Tweaking your RAM might add a little (usually neglibile). OC your CPU if you need to. Which GTX do you have? Quite a few come OC'ed from the factory. 3DMark isn't the end all for judging performance, it's not even a very good way to judge between different systems. However, it's pretty good if you are trying to find out if your OCing and tweaking have yielded any improvement on your OWN system.

Yeah, I don't buy it either, give us a link.
September 16, 2007 10:26:20 PM

EternalAlpha said:
Tweaking your RAM might add a little (usually neglibile). OC your CPU if you need to.

He can't OC anything but his GTX. (maybe the RAM, not sure) Dell has a nasty little habit of locking the tweaking functions in the BIOS thus preventing their clients from F-ing up their computers. I wish they didn't, cuz I have a couple of aging Dell systems that could use a boost.
September 16, 2007 10:27:32 PM

miahallen said:
Yeah, I don't buy it either, give us a link.

I did. Look up.
Quote:
2) He bought a Dell and as a result will have a ton of bloatware clogging his system. Unless he remove it, his performance will suffer.

I guess the main part is vista and xp. I suppose you get a better score in xp. Figures.
September 16, 2007 10:48:34 PM

Evilonigiri said:
I did. Look up.
Quote:

I guess the main part is vista and xp. I suppose you get a better score in xp. Figures.

I am sorry, but an image doesn't equal proof. That image can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes. You will have to give a link of your score submittal to the 3DMark db for it to be considered legit (I know that can be fooled too, but not as easily as a quick Photoshop job).

I am not trying to pick a fight, but it's illogical to accept that you can get 3DMarks that far superior systems (read: GTX/Ultra) can't touch.

lostandwandering: does that also apply to Dell's high-end offerings? I have never seen a high-end Dell, so I can't say, but shouldn't something meant for the enthusiast, like the XPS, offer some overclocking capabilities?
September 16, 2007 10:52:14 PM

I think the 720 H2C is user overclockable. I have a Dimension 8400 and 4700 and neither one can be overclocked. I'm pretty sure the 9200 can't be either.

edit: Dell themselves overclocks the DDR2-800 RAM to 1066 and they do the same for the CPU on the highest level H2C, but I'm not sure if the user can go in and mess with the settings. To be honest, I really don't know definitively about the newer systems.
September 16, 2007 11:15:20 PM

EternalAlpha said:
I am sorry, but an image doesn't equal proof. That image can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes. You will have to give a link of your score submittal to the 3DMark db for it to be considered legit (I know that can be fooled too, but not as easily as a quick Photoshop job).

I am not trying to pick a fight, but it's illogical to accept that you can get 3DMarks that far superior systems (read: GTX/Ultra) can't touch.

lostandwandering: does that also apply to Dell's high-end offerings? I have never seen a high-end Dell, so I can't say, but shouldn't something meant for the enthusiast, like the XPS, offer some overclocking capabilities?

Well, I don't have the internet on that pc...it's a thing in my house, my parents don't trust me on having the net on my very own pc. I have to be "supervised" when I use the net, in fact they are sitting on the couch, watching tv atm. The pc I am using is a crappy P4 right now, the "internet pc" You can believe me or not. And *AHEM* can't touch? Check this out
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=wiki&tag=pcb...
or google thousands of other sites
September 16, 2007 11:55:06 PM

What's with this, calling people liars on these forums????

I mean someone also called me a liar yesterday because I said I got 7000 with 2 7600GTs in SLI.

I put a post to prove, which kinda borthered me, but I kind a figured that the person did not really mean to call me a liar.

The thing that I guess that I dont understand is, is this such a problem on this forum with people lying about their 3DMark06 scores.

I would think that it would be more appropriate to ask someone with an atypical score what their configuration is. You can alway go and check if similar system get the same score.

Anyways just a thought :kaola: 
BTW I just re tested under Vista before my upgrade to an 8800GTX and still got a 7071 :-)
September 17, 2007 12:05:27 AM

cristip60 said:

Why do you turn plurals into possessives?
September 17, 2007 12:13:59 AM

cristip60 said:

People buy Dells because they don't have the time, patience or the know-how to do it themselves. Dell provides jobs for thousands of people so you shouldn't complain.
September 17, 2007 12:31:39 AM

cristip60 said:

Because like in business people sometimes prefer to stick to their core competencies.

Why would a web designer that can make $50-$100/hr spend 10-50hrs to get to the point of building a computer to save a couple of hundred bucks?

Hey, Fredom of choice!!! I enjoyed building a system, but I was also very happy buying a HP HTPC. No regrets!
September 17, 2007 12:33:09 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Well, I don't have the internet on that pc...it's a thing in my house, my parents don't trust me on having the net on my very own pc. I have to be "supervised" when I use the net, in fact they are sitting on the couch, watching tv atm. The pc I am using is a crappy P4 right now, the "internet pc" You can believe me or not. And *AHEM* can't touch? Check this out
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=wiki&tag=pcb...
or google thousands of other sites

I'm looking at the list you linked to, and it just serves to boost my confidence that the score claimed isn't possible.

#18 Looks very close to OP's config, except that he runs an OC'ed GTX, but only scores 11411

#9 beats your score using the same components, but #9's components are HEAVILY OCed.

Quote:
What's with this, calling people liars on these forums????

What's with people lying on these forums, why attempt to impress a bunch of strangers with unbelievable scores. If they were more realistic, people would tend to believe you without proof. If your going to make wild claims, then you should automatically provide "proof". I would believe you if I knew your GTS was OC'ed to high hell! What clocks are you running on it?
September 17, 2007 1:27:10 AM

*sigh* look at #9 and #10...Pretty much the only diff is the GTX and GTS (I don't think the 3dmark is optimized for quad so) yet the system with the GTX is slightly higher than the GTS. My system is very much like #9, cause my GTS is heavily overclocked TOO. Like 650/ 1060. Overclocking my cpu to 3.0GHZ gives me only 12450 so I keep it at 2.7GHZ. Doesn't that link infact PROVES that I'm not lying? Why should I lie in the first place? Hell if I wanted to brag about it I'd start a new thread about me getting a "unbelievable" score. Look guys, 3dmark is NOTHING when you're comparing to the 100's points. When running 3dmark sometimes I get 12200, sometimes 12100, but with the SAME settings. Please I could care less if you want to believe them or not but please don't call other people liars WITHOUT PROVING IT.
September 17, 2007 2:16:46 AM

Evilonigiri said:
My q6600 at 2.7GHz and 2gig of DDR2 ram and 8800GTS 320mb gets a score of 12,200.

Quote:
I would believe you if I knew your GTS was OC'ed to high hell!

Thanks for clarifying your system specs. 650MHz on your core clock is 30% higher than a standard 8800GTS, so with this new information I retract my previous comments.
September 17, 2007 2:54:42 AM

miahallen said:
Quote:
I would believe you if I knew your GTS was OC'ed to high hell!

Thanks for clarifying your system specs. 650MHz on your core clock is 30% higher than a standard 8800GTS, so with this new information I retract my previous comments.

Ah well from my position, no internet and all, it does look mightily suspicious. I should have stated this fact earlier, in fact I should put my specs in my sig. I'm just lazy that's all.
September 17, 2007 3:18:44 AM

Hum... 11K sounds good for non-oc stuff...
I do 13028 with a e6850@3.825 and a 8800GTX@644/2000. It's a lot cheaper to build it myself than buy it from Dell... (and more fun// :) 
3Dm06 is very sensitive to the number of cores and the speed of them... which is also going to be more and more true in games... (I just bought lost planet...4 cores are better than 2 for this game...supreme commander also...more will come...)

Best regards,
September 17, 2007 6:20:05 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Ah well from my position, no internet and all, it does look mightily suspicious. I should have stated this fact earlier, in fact I should put my specs in my sig. I'm just lazy that's all.

If your GTS is OC'ed that high, then such a score is possible. Since, in your original post, you specifically stated the OC of your CPU, but merely said 8800 GTS, I assumed that it was left at stock.

Well, that clears that. :D . Anyway, congrats on achieving such a high overclock, particularly on the RAM. You using any special cooling? What does pushing clocks that high do to your temps?
September 17, 2007 8:53:48 PM

how'd you get the gts that high? (or is it normal?)
September 17, 2007 9:18:50 PM

I get 11000s in vista ultimate on e6600 stock speed and 8800 gtx oce 600/900 bioshock beta driver 168.44 or 164.44 i dont remember. and i am reformatting now cause vista sucks so much i cant play bf2 with compatility mode on or any other good games
q6600 4gb ram and 8800 gtx 13000 should be the right.
September 17, 2007 9:49:57 PM

cristip60 said:

Dell was good, like 5-10 years ago. Many think the Monitors are still good.
September 18, 2007 4:05:10 AM

EternalAlpha said:
If your GTS is OC'ed that high, then such a score is possible. Since, in your original post, you specifically stated the OC of your CPU, but merely said 8800 GTS, I assumed that it was left at stock.

Well, that clears that. :D . Anyway, congrats on achieving such a high overclock, particularly on the RAM. You using any special cooling? What does pushing clocks that high do to your temps?

I guess I got lucky :/  Well I only do 650 for benchmark cause it's only stable for like 10mins. Mem clock is completely stable at 1060 (I ran 3dmark 3 times with all eye candy turned on, using stock heatsink with fan running at 100%) Any how my normal settings are 639/1060, and even though I've got 4 120mm fans blowing on them (stacker), I get like 78C during games (after it finished 3dmark06 3 times, temps were 85C :/ ). Just for reference how well my pc cools, my q6600 at 2.7Ghz idles (using coretemp) around 33-36. Not too bad I'd say.

EDIT: obtw I have an XFX 8800GTS 320mb XXX (580/900-stock settings)
September 18, 2007 3:46:49 PM

Ill jsut say now, the difference using my 7950gx2 going from vista back to XP on 3dmark06 was close to 2k points.

Atm I get just over 11k points, however my resolution only runs at 1280x720, rather then 1280x1024. 0.3mp's, it should n'tmake too much of a difference at all, maybe 1k at most.

Also btw, Dell may not appeal to you, but that doesnt mean they arent any good just becuse you dont think they are. I think youll find the ratio of people who build their own PC's comapred to those who buy from companys is very much in Dells favor, and the ratio of overclockers compared to non overclockers, is completly in their favor.
!