Sign in with
Your question

Help: Install new GPU in exiting build

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2007 1:55:00 AM

I just bought a eVGA 8800GTX. Currently I have 2 7600GTs in SLI. See my sig.

I was told (I hope correctly) that I could in Vista use a 7xxx and 8xxx card in the same computer.

What is the suggested upgrade process?

I assume the following will work, but figure I check:

- remove 1 7600GT (and SLI bridge off course)
- replace with 8800GTX
- reboot in Vista

There are some questions that remain though:
- Should I uninstall the nVidia drivers 1st before installing the 8800?
- this is a dualboot XP\Vista. Will XP still work but with only the 8800? ie 1 monitor?
- should I just get rid of XP?
- Will a Vista32 Driver work in Vista64? One of my devices (M-Audio Black Box only has 32bit driver)

Edit - Hey, what would happend if I put the SLI bridge between the 7600GT and 8800GTX? Nothing or an expensive stupid move?
September 16, 2007 2:40:24 AM

Is this a matter of curiousity, or are you seeking a performance gain?
September 16, 2007 2:44:57 AM

Well not sure what you are refering to, but I got the GTX for the performance gain.

But if you are talking about SLIing the 7600 with 8800, yes it is just a curiosity thing. I'm curious by nature, and you know what happened to the cat right?

Edit - wow I just noticed your sig!!! you have my ultimate dream upgrade! except I am planning for only 1 Raptor for OS and apps. But for now, single GTX.
Related resources
September 16, 2007 6:34:25 AM

SpeedyVV said:
But if you are talking about SLIing the 7600 with 8800, yes it is just a curiosity thing. I'm curious by nature, and you know what happened to the cat right?

You will not successfully pair the 7600 with the 8800 GTX in an SLI configuration. However, I don't think anything really bad would happen. Maybe a blue screen. Try it. Now I'm curious! :lol: 

SpeedyVV said:
Edit - wow I just noticed your sig!!! you have my ultimate dream upgrade! except I am planning for only 1 Raptor for OS and apps. But for now, single GTX.

The Raptor RAID array I set up is stupid fast! I'll reply with some benchmark numbers. Real world usage has been very impressive. One Raptor should suffice, however.

Good luck with your "SLI" experiment. :pt1cable: 
September 16, 2007 6:39:28 AM

Why do you want both cards in your PC?
September 16, 2007 7:04:13 AM

mep916 said:
Why do you want both cards in your PC?

I have a 3 monitor setup. For that I need 2 cards.

I will use the 8800GTX for my 2560x1600 30" because that is where i do my gaming.

The 7600GT will drive the 2 1600x1200 20".

Currently (ie before buying the 8800) I would turn on SLI to play games, and turn off SLI to do my work which is 80% of the time.

BTW, any chance of you giving me some answer to my questions? :D 
September 16, 2007 3:59:27 PM

SpeedyVV said:
BTW, any chance of you giving me some answer to my questions? :D 

Sorry. As you said, remove the 7600 and the SLI bridge. Then install the 8800. Keep the 7600 driver installed. Boot into Vista and try to install the 8800 driver. Of course, I've never tried this, but I'm assuming the two driver packages will conflict with each other. If they don't, I guess you're in good shape.

SpeedyVV said:
Will a Vista32 Driver work in Vista64? One of my devices (M-Audio Black Box only has 32bit driver)

I don't know. I'm assuming it won't, but try it.

SpeedyVV said:
this is a dualboot XP\Vista. Will XP still work but with only the 8800? ie 1 monitor?

If you're dual card setup works in Vista, it might work in XP.

Everything you want to do involves trial & error. I don't think you're putting any of you're hardware at risk. At worst, you may hose up your OS and have to do a clean install.

September 16, 2007 8:05:49 PM

mep916 said:
Everything you want to do involves trial & error. I don't think you're putting any of you're hardware at risk. At worst, you may hose up your OS and have to do a clean install.

Ouch, I hope I dont have to re-install my OS!!! That is my least fav part of any build.
September 16, 2007 8:10:46 PM

And how!
!