Sign in with
Your question

Windows doesn't recognize the onboard sound card on P35-DS3L

Last response: in Motherboards
September 16, 2007 5:47:17 AM

Any ideas? I've downloaded all the latest drivers I believe. Thanks.
September 16, 2007 6:40:56 AM

Check and see if the device appears in the device manager, probably with an error regarding drivers. If it is there, use the driver update built into the device manager by going to the properties page of the device and then the driver tab and clicking a button that says something like "Update driver...". Let windows search the net for drivers. This was required to get an onboard audio chip to work on vista with my dads PC.
September 16, 2007 7:04:18 AM

It's listed at device manager but says it's working fine. I've updated the drivers there and at Gigabyte.
Related resources
September 16, 2007 7:29:16 AM

Well then windows does recognise it. I assume you get no sound though, yes?
September 16, 2007 7:52:34 AM

No sound. When I check the settings at "Sounds and Audio Devices" in Control panel everything is grayed out and I can't access anything to change the settings. Also in control panel I can't bring up "Realtek HD Audio Manager".
September 16, 2007 8:10:14 AM

Uninstall the drivers and then go to device manager and uninstall the device there, that should force windows to redetect it next time you boot up. It may or may not try and look for drivers, if it doesn't, do what I said above again. Btw, are you using vista or XP?
September 16, 2007 9:01:47 AM

Good idea. It's XP. Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know how it works out.
September 16, 2007 6:07:04 PM

Silly question...
Have you configured which audio output you're using?

If you can't bring-up the HD Audio manager, it could be the driver is configured to use the front AC97 output.
September 17, 2007 6:07:10 AM

I tried to delete the drivers and device from device manager but it wouldn't let me saying that they were essential to boot the computer. So I tracked the drivers down and deleted them but still haven't figured out a way to delete the device in device manager.

How can I configure the audio output? Like I said when I check the settings at "Sounds and Audio Devices" in Control panel everything is grayed out and I can't access anything to change the settings.

Thanks for the help.
September 17, 2007 6:10:38 AM

BTW I know this is not in the correct area but I put Doom 3 on and it wouldn't run it saying that my card and/or driver wasn't able to. I have an 8800 GTS and the latest drivers. I'm going to get ahold of the makers of Doom 3, send them the info and see what they say.

Mo computer mo problems...
September 17, 2007 6:39:23 AM

The info you need is in the MoBo manual, towards the back in the section about installing and configuring the supplied device drivers.

Some device drivers need to be disabled (and maybe a reboot) before you can uninstall, trying to manually delete will cause more problems.
September 17, 2007 7:19:38 AM

a no brainer...but make sure your onboard audio is enabled in the bios.
September 17, 2007 7:28:58 AM

If it wasn't enabled windows would not have shown it up in the device manager.
September 17, 2007 6:50:53 PM

I got sick of messing with it and just used the sound blaster card from my old computer. BTW after looking at the manual I realized I had indeed configured it even before I started this thread.

There is definitely something screwey here though because yet another game isn't working correctly and it's an old one (Neverwinter Nights). I'm wondering if it's hardware or software.
September 17, 2007 8:42:17 PM

AFAIK I did yes. Of course now they are plugged into my working soundblaster card, but yes I believe I did. Not only that but from what I saw Gigabyte gave me the option of changing the designation of each jack from front, back and center speakers, unless I misunderstood it.

This build has not gone so smoothly.
September 18, 2007 5:12:51 AM

I might avoid this board lol.
September 18, 2007 7:50:20 AM

Well I would advise it if only I knew that it was the board failing. I don't know what to ascribe the difficulties to.
September 20, 2007 3:18:35 AM

OK update time:

The onboard audio is still not working but I was able to track down the problems regarding the games and it was not the board. Also, after spending some time with this board I actually like it a good deal despite the problem with the onboard audio. I had a Soundblaster card laying around so the audio problem was no biggie. Anyway, this board overclocks really well and has a lot of options in bios. The layout is smart for the most part and it's a great deal.
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2007 4:33:14 AM

Sorry to hear about the audio. It works just fine in Linux. You might have just "got a bad one", as they say.

You might double check chapter 5 of the manual(page 69) to insure you did indeed plug in the speakers correctly. I have just 2 plain old Logitech speakers and had to plug them into the lower left(gray) plug instead of the normal green one. The green on had sound, but it was real scratchy sounding.

I also figured out the hard way, that if you hook up the front panel audio wrong, it will disable all onboard audio. The stupid leads on my case were wrong, and it took forever to figure out.
September 20, 2007 5:56:19 AM

tlmck said:

I also figured out the hard way, that if you hook up the front panel audio wrong, it will disable all onboard audio. The stupid leads on my case were wrong, and it took forever to figure out.

That just might be it. I was thinking that was a possibility last time I was tinkering in there but didn't give it a shot. I don't even need a headphone jack on my PC since my speakers have one so I think I'll unhook it altogether and see what happens. Thanks.
September 20, 2007 3:15:43 PM

I was too lazy to see if this was already posted. But I know that with the P35-DS3R board, you had to download a certain Windows Update BEFORE you installed the onboard sound drivers for them to work. Hope that helps, if it was already posted, my apologies.
September 20, 2007 10:11:23 PM

Really? What Windows update?
October 19, 2007 5:58:03 AM

i'm having the same exact problem. when i first installed the drivers from the gigabyte cd, everything was fine. but i accidently clicked next when it said found new hardware and now it doesnt work. i tried to uninstall but it said i cant because its required to boot. im trying every driver and its not helping
October 20, 2007 10:03:43 PM

same problems here with the same mobo... no sound or anything

so did adding a sound card fix this? i have speakers on my monitor, and i plugged them in, and it just grays out the volume controls... also how did you go about overclocking this board, for some reason im not having any luck...
October 22, 2007 12:01:47 AM

Did you have any issues getting XP Pro to install with this MOBO? Did you use SATA drives? With only one IDE port, that forced me to use SATA drives and I can't get recognized so I can try to enjoy this MB.
October 27, 2007 3:43:57 PM

atoparis said:
same problems here with the same mobo... no sound or anything

so did adding a sound card fix this? i have speakers on my monitor, and i plugged them in, and it just grays out the volume controls... also how did you go about overclocking this board, for some reason im not having any luck...

the only way i got it to work was to format the drive and start over. when you install the drivers from the cd, only install the inf and lan drivers first. then restart and install the other drivers one-by-one. it seems to only work if you install the microsoft driver before the realtek drive. i got it to work and it sounds great. dont touch the drivers from the website because i think thats what screwed me up
October 27, 2007 3:47:18 PM

noiro said:
Did you have any issues getting XP Pro to install with this MOBO? Did you use SATA drives? With only one IDE port, that forced me to use SATA drives and I can't get recognized so I can try to enjoy this MB.

same here. i am able to install xp pro, but i cant get my full 250gb to work. itll only let me format 130gb. ive updated service packs, ive tried partition magic, ive tried disk management, and ive tried slipstreaming my cd to sp2. it acknowledges that the drive is 250gb, but if i format more than 130gb, it crashes as soon as the format reaches 100%. its driving me crazy :heink:  :cry: 
November 9, 2007 5:03:57 AM

disregard.
November 9, 2007 11:25:28 AM

blaze739 said:
same here. i am able to install xp pro, but i cant get my full 250gb to work. itll only let me format 130gb. ive updated service packs, ive tried partition magic, ive tried disk management, and ive tried slipstreaming my cd to sp2. it acknowledges that the drive is 250gb, but if i format more than 130gb, it crashes as soon as the format reaches 100%. its driving me crazy :heink:  :cry: 

this aint actually too big of a problem, as at about 150 gb (forget the actual number) NTFS changes the way it encodes your files, and it takes up more space per file (YES, i know this for a fact, i watched my usage go down after i dropped back to a 100gb partition from a 175 gb). so really, it's helping you :) 
November 12, 2007 7:15:12 AM

go and search for windows patches KB888111 you problem should be resolved or maybe you can get this patch from the Gigabyte cd driver. Now my sound card is working not working very properly, because only right side speaker and my sub woofer is working, but left side speaker does'nt. I confirmed my speaker is working which i tested via my mp3, cable got no problem and all the balance setting are correct, but only right side speaker is working... anyone can help me this..
November 20, 2007 9:32:47 PM

I had the same problem and figured it out for mine. My problem was two things... 1. When I tried to use the latest drivers from gigabyte's website, the installation instructions require you to kind of setup the new drivers twice. It wants you to install it and shut down. Then it wants you to intall it again until you have the HD Audio Manager in your task manager. 2. I only have a single jack for my speakers so when it's plugged in, it indicates analog in the audio manager and whichever plug is plugged in, the color is darkened. I have to right click the colored jack in the audio manager and click connector retasking. I then had to select headphones. Then it worked fine. I hope this helps anyone.
November 21, 2007 6:25:27 AM

I'd do a fresh new install, and ran windows update after the first boot up. on XP, you might need to install ethernet driver first. the drivers supported by microsoft should be the correct one to use.
November 21, 2007 6:41:56 PM

same here guys! i downloaded the hd audio drivers from the cd, but it keep popping up new hardware need to be install but it can't find any drivers to be downloaded. then i went to the realtek website and downloaded the hd audio drivers there, but it wouldn't let me install it saying "Hd audio something something install failure"
whats the problem!?
a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2007 7:53:29 PM

Well for everyone out there I have built 3 PCs around the DS3L/R, etc. I never had a problem with them BUT one of the board's sound died after OCing the CPU. Easily fixed with a PCI sound card. The DS3x series motherboards are very solid when it comes to performance (esp. OC'ing).
a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2007 7:54:08 PM

@OP. Your best bet is to get a sound card. They are pretty cheap after all.
November 21, 2007 8:33:59 PM

Interestingly I had an audio problem with the board, but managed to fix it by making sure I had all my drivers updated before I did anything else with the computer. At all.
November 21, 2007 8:44:22 PM

so the audio drivers from the Gigabyte doesn't work?
November 21, 2007 9:14:49 PM

Dude! windows is the biggest pimp in the world, it won't even recognise your mother unless she pays
November 21, 2007 9:33:56 PM

Heh Heh...so true!
November 22, 2007 3:53:30 AM

stay on topic plz
i really need sound!
November 24, 2007 7:19:15 PM

ok guys! problem solved for me!

if you have windows xp professional these are the steps to get the hd audio to work
1) update ur windows first to service pack 2
2) get the microsoft hd k888111 patch from the gigabyte cd
3) get the hd audio drivers from the realtek website (don't get it from the cd)

if you have any problems let me know
November 24, 2007 11:17:31 PM

Good to know :) 
February 1, 2009 4:35:41 AM

Kamrooz said:
a no brainer...but make sure your onboard audio is enabled in the bios.

Yep! Switched onboard audio from AUTO to ENABLED... Fixed it when nothing else would. Thanks bro.
!