Sign in with
Your question

Home-built gaming PC won't power up...

Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2007 10:00:59 AM

My second homebuilt gaming PC was just completed and it won't start up in power. What did I do wrong? :??: 

I used anti-static wrist strap while working on building the PC step-by-step.

Could it be that Antec Earthwatts 500W Power Supply isn't enough for the heavy gaming specs?

My specs:

BFG NVIDIA nForce 680i motherboard

BFG 8800 GTS 320 MB video card

Intel Core Duo 2 2.0 gHz CPU

2 GB Corsair TwinX memory modules

Seagate 250 GB hard drive

Cooler Master Elite 330 ATX Mid-Tower Case

Antec Earthwatts 500W power supply

Purchased @ CompUSA 8/30 with an original receipt
August 31, 2007 9:09:02 PM

When you say start up in power, what do you mean? Won't boot? No fans or lights on the board? Fans and light on but no video? Double check all connections from the PSU. In all likelihood you'll have to take the board out of the case, make sure that you have the precise number of standoffs and a screw for each, take everything off and reinstall testing each part after the installation
Related resources
August 31, 2007 10:41:37 PM

I managed to power it up after g-paw's suggestion. I forgot to put mounting screws in before placing mobo.

However, upon the boot-up screen, it says "floppy disk(s) fail (40" (I don't have floppy drive and had the hard drive configured to master) and it automatically shuts down in a minute or less. I repeated powering it up and it continues to shut down automatically even for less than half a minute.

Could it be the power supply? I think I will have to return it to exchange for a PSU with bigger wattage and see if it works without shutting down automatically again.

Arctucas, thanks for the reference, I sent them the email about the problem described above and asked if it's PSU problem for not enough wattage.
August 31, 2007 10:59:56 PM

cyberdogg said:
I managed to power it up after g-paw's suggestion. I forgot to put mounting screws in before placing mobo.

However, upon the boot-up screen, it says "floppy disk(s) fail (40" (I don't have floppy drive and had the hard drive configured to master) and it automatically shuts down in a minute or less. I repeated powering it up and it continues to shut down automatically even for less than half a minute.

Could it be the power supply? I think I will have to return it to exchange for a PSU with bigger wattage and see if it works without shutting down automatically again.

Arctucas, thanks for the reference, I sent them the email about the problem described above and asked if it's PSU problem for not enough wattage.

If the machine is shutting down that quickly, could be you don't have the HSF secured and the CPU is overheating. Try reseating the HSF, you may even what to remove the thermal paste and reapply fresh. As for the floppy message, likely to change the BIOS settings so the machine isn't look for the floppy
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2007 12:09:22 AM

cyberdogg said:
upon the boot-up screen, it says "floppy disk(s) fail (40" (I don't have floppy drive and had the hard drive configured to master) and it automatically shuts down in a minute or less.
Your power supply should be plenty for your system.
How is your BIOS boot options set up? Is BIOS set to look for bootable flopppy first?
Check the BIOS boot options and be sure to put a bootable CD and get ready to format the HD.

September 1, 2007 8:18:20 AM

WR2, I replaced the weak 500W PSU with Cooler Master eXtreme Power Duo 600W (labeled "SLI & CrossFire ready" on the package) and it booted up without shutting down automatically.

I changed the bios setting to none on floppy disk.

I bought a genuine Windows Home XP OEM CD off of eBay for my mother when I built her a home office PC in 2004. Alas, it's lost and I refuse to shell out $ for Vista. I have a Windows XP Media Edition 2005 system recovery DVD-ROM for Gateway MX7118 notebook but it doesn't work on the new gaming pc, obviously. I know of a solution but it would be, erm...unethical, so just this one time ;-)

Thanks for the hints, it helped a lot. I get to play The Company of Heroes & its expansion pack and Medal of Honor: Airborne :-D

a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2007 1:15:34 PM

Glad you got it running. In some ways its hard to argue with success. But I think I will anyway.

I think you replaced a decent 500w PSU (Antec) with a 500w PSU (Cooler Master) that is less than decent.
The Antec Earthpower PSUs even make the PSU Recommendations for High End Gaming PC's over at the http://www.jonnyguru.net forums.

That PSU claims to produce 600w but it's more like 500w. And it claims to be "Sli/Crossfire Ready" which may not be a lie but it doesnt have PCI-e connectors like you'd expect to see on Sli/Crossfire ready PSUs. Its also not listed @ SliZone.com.
Reviews have generally been unkind to the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Duo 600W Jonnyguru Review
The reviews at NewEgg are mixed for the Cooler Master unit. Antec and CoolerMaster PSUs
Now that you know the rest of the system is OK you might test out the Antec PSU again. After carefully hooking it up, and if you find it still doesnt work, its probably a good idea to get it replaced and then see if you can get a refund on the Cooler Master PSU.
Good Luck.

September 2, 2007 12:52:19 AM

WR2, thanks for the links.

I'll exchange the PSU - you're right, it turns out to be 500W. I thought Antec Earthwatts 500W isn't enough but it may not be properly connected or defective the first time I tried it.

I got $10 off of Cooler Master 600W in advertised sales special at CompUSA. I'll explain to CompUSA to read Jonnyguru's review to explain the misleading claim.
!