Sign in with
Your question

why does my geforce 8800 gtx xxx hard freezes my comp all the time?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2007 3:52:52 AM

i am hoping this is a hardware setting issue. when playing newer fps games like doom 3, quake 4, stalker, prey, and bioshock, my pc does what i believe is called a "hard freeze". everything just stops completely. the older the game is, the more rare the freezes are. it performs perfectly with really old games such as unreal and unreal tournament 1/2k3/2k4. this gives me the idea that more resource-hungry games put an added strain on my card, causing my system to shut down as a safety measure.

has anyone had a problem like this? what specs do you need from me to help diagnose the prob? yes, i've upgraded to the latest drivers. what can cause this? i paid $600+ for this thing and i'd like to see it work.

thanks in advance.

here are a few sys specs:

2 gb ram
conroe e6600 core2 duo
nvidia mobo.. p5n32 sli
September 16, 2007 6:09:28 PM

What is your PSU? How much amp is the 12v providing? have you run any memory test to check on your memory?
September 17, 2007 1:36:17 PM

psu is 730 watt. as far as how many amps the 12v is pulling, how would i find that out?
Related resources
September 17, 2007 1:41:16 PM

also, quake 4 freezes are rare, but they happen. bioshock and stalker freeze like almost after 5 mins of play.
September 17, 2007 2:03:12 PM

It should say the 12 power on the side of the power supply. Also, find out what brand the PSU is.
September 17, 2007 9:28:52 PM

my bad.. it's actually a 700w supply from OCZ (gamexstream model). it's 18 amps on the +12v rails. i shouldn't have a power issue, though.

how could i monitor my pc's power useage?
September 17, 2007 9:33:15 PM

hmmm... i opened the nvidia monitor and it says my gpu heat is 83 deg C. now to just be able to run a game in windowed mode to see what happens. is 83C normal? i used to know this stuff, i swear.

also, i can see all the voltages, but don't know how to tell what's going on with it all.
September 17, 2007 9:48:09 PM

Is there a lot of DUST in your case? Have you cleaned out the heatsinks lately?

PS- There should be 3.3v, 5v, and 12v monitors. They should be within about 5% of those numbers, respectively. (Can be up to 10% by ATX spec. but thats a bit much) There may also be a CPU Vcore monitor, etc.

Best of Luck
October 30, 2007 4:15:06 AM

hello all. i wanted to post the remedy to my problem.

what i failed to initially address was that, when my pc froze, i was still able to hear the game music. a friend of mine suggested that my audigy 2 zs was the culprit. he mentioned that creative was notorious for bad interrupt requests and that the music was still playing even after the game crashed because the irq was in a sort of loop. thinking about it, it made logical sense. so what i did was move my soundcard to a different pci slot so that a different irq was used. behold, the hard freezes that had been plaguing me had come to a stop. now i can play bioshock and the ut3 demo endlessly without my system hanging.

i hope this helps out anyone with a creative sound card and nvidia 8800 series video card.
October 30, 2007 6:26:37 PM

Glad to hear that you got it fixed.
!