lilzeus

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Specs:
C2D 6750 (Retail)
GA-P35-DS3R
2gb Patriot PC2-6400 (6400LLK)
Samsung SpinPoint 500gb

When I fired fired up this system it beeped at me long and loud rather than the quick chirp. I noticed that the CPU fan was not spinning. It would just jerk every second or so. It eventually quit. When I finally installed Windows XP Pro and installed some core temp and fan monitoring software (SpeedFan, TAT, Core Temp, CPU-Z, EasyTune etc) I noticed that the CPU fan rpms really were low or 0. If I turned on alarms, they would instantly start screaming at me because of that. However, the temps as read by all of these softwares were well withing range at idle, between 25C and 29C at idle. The fan would only sometimes run and it would only get up to ~350rpms at times. During all of this nearly all the softwares read the temps virtually the same. I did have TAT do a stress test and the highest the temps got was about 44C.

Then I loaded the latest config for my motherboard from SpeedFan and now things are different. The fan is at a steady 1986rpm and the core temps as displayed in SpeedFan, TAT and even EasyTune are way too low! They are reading 10C?! However, Core Temp still reads at 25C. I have checked the offsets in SpeedFan and they are all set to zero. But even so, how would that explain that TAT and EasyTune are reading way too low (<=15C)?

Its been a while since my last system build so I haven't learned all of this new technology yet.

Thanks for the help.

lilzeus

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
You're right about the learning curve. This will take a while. What I still don't understand is why it would read seemingly correct temps and then the longer the computer is on the more off the temp readings get. I'm down to 9C for core temps along with a -2C for 'Temp3' on SpeedFan. Why can't these products just read the data from the sensor? Why is there such a discrepancy? Whats the purpose of the manufacturers putting temp sensors in their products if nothing can read them correctly?

Here are my readings:

cpu.jpg