Sign in with
Your question

E2160 cpu & Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L overclocking questions

Last response: in Overclocking
November 18, 2007 3:34:00 AM

Hello, I am planning to upgrade my motherboard and cpu and even to do a little overclocking. I have chosen the following parts:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 Dual Core retail

But I have a few questions, should I add a fan to the northbridge chip to help it keep cool as some people say it can get quite hot even without overclocking. And if so, what size fan for the northbridge chip. Also would the stock intel cooler be sufficient cooling since I am hoping to be able to overclock it to 3.0 GHz.

One more question regarding installing the motherboard, should I use non conducting washers between the screws or is it ok to just use the metal screws that came with my Ultra wizard mid tower atx computer case to install the motherboard.

Thanks in advance for any help as this will be my first computer upgrade and overclock attempt.
November 18, 2007 4:59:33 AM

No need for fan just for the NB. Yes stock cooler who get you to 3.0Ghz. Just use the original screws
November 18, 2007 7:16:09 PM

Thanks itotallybe lieveyou for your speedy reply and info.
Related resources
November 19, 2007 8:43:18 PM

Sid3way said:
definitely get a new northbridge cooler. the stock unit should be immediately trashed if you're planning to OC.

get something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My stock NB cooling on a Blood Iron carries me to 450 MHz Bus without a problem.. He'll be fine. :pfff: 
November 19, 2007 8:58:37 PM

to each his own i guess, but why cheap out on a $18 unit that could extend the life of your mobo? Last night i brought my E6750 from 3.2 to 3.6. after the first few minutes the heatsink was already on fire. IMO nothing inside your rig should ever experience that kind of temperature.

I have the same mobo with the thermaltake unit running E2140 @ 3.2 (100% oc'd), and this unit is running 10C cooler on stock CPU HSF compares to the 3.2ghz E675/Artic Pro 7 HSF with stock northbridge heatsink.
November 19, 2007 9:02:29 PM

Sid3way said:
to each his own i guess, but why cheap out on a $18 unit that could extend the life of your mobo? Last night i brought my E6750 from 3.2 to 3.6. after the first few minutes the heatsink was already on fire. IMO nothing inside your rig should ever experience that kind of temperature.

I have the same mobo with the thermaltake unit running E2140 @ 3.2 (100% oc'd), and this unit is running 10C cooler on stock CPU HSF compares to the 3.2ghz E675/Artic Pro 7 HSF with stock northbridge heatsink.

Because removing the stock NB cooling voids the warranty that will cover me when I blow up the Vregs running a quad over 3.6 GHz.
November 19, 2007 9:10:51 PM

LOL.

hey i thought about that too, and it seems easy to restore the board back to original state. the only thing that can distinguish the difference is probably whatever the thermal paste u put on the chipset.
November 19, 2007 9:12:23 PM

Except that mine has a sticker on it that will sheer if I remove it :( 
November 20, 2007 7:54:28 PM

Why not just add a 40mm or 60 mm (not sure of northbridge size) fan to the northbridge instead of buying a complete heatsink + fan for more money. Would just adding the fan to the northbridge invalidate the motherboard?
November 20, 2007 7:59:58 PM

Silverarrow said:
Why not just add a 40mm or 60 mm (not sure of northbridge size) fan to the northbridge instead of buying a complete heatsink + fan for more money. Would just adding the fan to the northbridge invalidate the motherboard?

No, but inorder (on mine) to get airflow across the heatsink it's nearly impossible to position it. It has a flat top so blowing air right on it won't help.
November 21, 2007 6:01:46 AM

Oops , I meant invalidate the warranty not the motherboard
January 4, 2008 8:28:01 PM

Well this is an update, I finally got my new motherboard and cpu installed. I removed the thermal goop on the stock Intel cooler and replaced it with Arctic silver Céramique, also it’s running at stock voltage and room temp is about 24 degrees, but I’m concerned about the temps. My cpu is the new M0 stepping.

With stock cooler and stock speed ,It’s 33 degrees idle and 52 degrees under load running prime 95 on both cores.
After overclocking to 8x333= 2.66ghz the load temp shot up to 64 degrees, but as soon as I stop prime the temps rapidly falls to 34 degrees. I tried 9x333 = 3.00ghz and the temps went up to 66 degrees while prime 95 was running but returned to 34 degrees after a 1 minute when I stop prime.

Some people experiencing similar temps think this is poor internal heat spreader contact.

Is this normal for my cpu? And should I invest in an artic cooler freezer pro cooler?
I would like to be able to run my rig at 3 ghz (9x333) but I don’t want to risk damaging my cpu.
January 4, 2008 10:12:19 PM

Dont go close to 70C

I would get a better cooler
Also try calibrating it (CompuTronix's guide at top)
January 5, 2008 12:47:17 PM

I am running the same CPU on the following settings: 400mhzx8 (3.2ghz) 1.45v on the Vcore. I am running a Coolermaster Geminii and temps are as follows: idle 33'C Load 64'C 30min Prime95. My advice to you is keep it under 70'C and you'l be fine! 9x333 on stock cooling and stock voltages wont easily reach 70'C so I say run it at 3.0 and enjoy your little overclocking wonder!
January 5, 2008 4:49:35 PM

Better cooling for the MB should help high overclocks. I just attached HR-05 IFX's to my 680i lt and am expecting to get some higher overclocks. The cool the more volts can be pumped through the better it will overclock.

But on a mobo IMO always replace the thermal stuff with a good compound it can reduce temps by like 5degrees. Passive is also only good with good airflow. Better airflow the better the cooling.
January 6, 2008 6:03:44 AM

Thanks Silverion77 for the tip regarding the CompuTronix's guide. That's a nice overclock j_waylec. I'm currently at 8x333= 2.66ghz with the voltage at 1.32500. I think I will get a better cooler just to be on the safe side, and try to get it at 9x333 for a 3 ghz overclock. Does anyone know if the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO will fit on the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard? I heard of some really good reviews of this cooler with it's moderate price. I really don't want to spend more than $20 for a cooler.
January 6, 2008 6:46:15 AM

I was running speedfan 4.33 and the Vcore1 is 1.3v and Vcore2 is 1.89. I have the voltage set manually in the bios at 1.32500, so how come speedfan is reporting that the voltage for Vcore2 is 1.89? Is this normal? Shouldn't Vcore2 be about the same as Vcore1 when both cores are used evenly?
January 6, 2008 4:25:41 PM

Vcore 2 is voltage to your memory, in other words you have 1.9V for your memory.
January 6, 2008 4:33:23 PM

Silverarrow said:
Thanks Silverion77 for the tip regarding the CompuTronix's guide. That's a nice overclock j_waylec. I'm currently at 8x333= 2.66ghz with the voltage at 1.32500. I think I will get a better cooler just to be on the safe side, and try to get it at 9x333 for a 3 ghz overclock. Does anyone know if the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO will fit on the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard? I heard of some really good reviews of this cooler with it's moderate price. I really don't want to spend more than $20 for a cooler.

Poop, you just missed a nice rebate, I have a Cooler Master TX-2 and bought it for $8 AR.

This one http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product... (free shipping)

Is like the one I have, its $10 AR Works great and easy to install if you take your mobo out.

Then there is the slighty better/more expensive option:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thats $21 + shipping. It's really up to you, the AC 7 Pro is an overall better cooler, but the CM-TX will do a solid job as well. If your more concerned about money get the TX, if you want it quicker/no rebates get the AC 7 Pro.
January 6, 2008 9:43:28 PM

Thanks bildo123, for both replies. That's a relief regarding the vcore2 voltage being for my ram. Also I live in Ontario, Canada. The rebate is still good until jan 15th for the Cooler Master TX-2, but zipzoomfly.com will not ship to Canada and it seems that they are charging shipping even for a US address, othewise this looked pretty good to me and I'm sure better than the stock Intel cooler.
January 8, 2008 9:47:54 AM

Arent the MSI and the gigabyte card pretty much the same?
January 8, 2008 9:25:55 PM

That's a nice motherboard navvara, but I live in Canada and the lowest price is $132 plus s/h and tax and no rebate. The gigabyte was more inline with my budget, and I read some great reviews on that board, so I got that one.
January 10, 2008 2:13:39 AM

hi, I also bought the same mobo (P35-DS3L) .. I dont want to remove the NB heatsink because it will void the warranty in my case. Can I just put a fan over it? If I put just the FAN and use the same stock NB heatsink, will it even help?

I don't know the dimensions of the NB .. does anyone know?

Can anyone point me to a link where I could get just a NB FAN for the Gigabyte NB stock Heatsink?

Thanks!
January 10, 2008 2:16:19 AM

If you only plan to oc the 2160 to 3.0 ghz (333mhz x9) then the stock heatsink on the gigabite board should be enough as the gigabite board is desined to run at 1333mhz fsb stick.

If you want to feed the procy more FSB than that, say 400 or even more then the gigabite board might have trouble cooling the northbridge. (i read somewhere that the gigabite can handle a 450 max fsb). The 2160 maxes out at about 3.5 ghz (388 x 9), you can go even higher with extreme cooling and voltage, so your board should
be able to go that high without an aftermarket NB cooler. Just make sure you have good airflow.

On the other hand should you desire to really oc the new 333 mhz intel chips you might have a problem. Although basically the same board as the gigabite one the msi board is a lot better for overclocking newer cpu/s and can easily hit 500 mhz.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3169&p=5

EDIT: long story short, aftermarket NB cooler isn't needed for the sort of oc you have in mind.
January 10, 2008 2:26:50 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm just going to do minor OC .. I'm just planning to push my E2180 (2.0) to 2.5 or 2.6 ..

I guess .. stock NB would be ok.

The reason I asked is because CompUSA is selling super cheap aftermarket small fans / I don't know the dimensions though :D  I'm just planning to grab one and just put it over the stock NB ..

*Will the videocard fan fit the NB gigabyte heatsink? It looks like it :D 
January 10, 2008 2:29:17 AM

How cheap?
!